ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-19-2024, 06:07 AM   #1
wigwig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

E85 3.0i can't start in the cold

I was having this problem in November last year, and the mechanic told me it was due to a blown head gasket. Over the last few months I was able to do that on my own, and about a week ago I was able to get it running and driving perfectly fine, however this morning it was extra chilly (32F) and when I went to try starting it, it would idle very rough for 10-15 seconds and then it seemed like it was stalling and would just die on me (no engine codes when it dies). I only tried a few times, because I didn’t want to break anything, and I tried giving it a little gas on the last attempt but that made it die instantly. I’ve searched a lot for other people with similar issues, but the only cases I could find were resolved by cleaning the IAC valve and throttle body, both of which I’ve already done. I also already replaced the coil packs, injectors, spark plugs, CCV, head gasket,and timing components, and I have no idea what could be wrong. I’m going to follow up with my mechanic later today, but if anyone has any ideas/suggestions it would be much help. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 03:29 PM   #2
itsjustascratch21
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5i

Have you done a compression test? If you've changed all that stuff, it won't make a difference if you have no compression. It could be possible the head is warped allowing air to escape. If it hasn't overheated, this is very unlikely. Check your oil cap for any "mayo". Keep in mind it could be a different problem\area entirely. I'd get it diagnosed thoroughly before jumping to conclusions. At least a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 07:00 AM   #3
wigwig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustascratch21 View Post
Have you done a compression test? If you've changed all that stuff, it won't make a difference if you have no compression. It could be possible the head is warped allowing air to escape. If it hasn't overheated, this is very unlikely. Check your oil cap for any "mayo". Keep in mind it could be a different problem\area entirely. I'd get it diagnosed thoroughly before jumping to conclusions. At least a second opinion.
Yeah, I’ve had it at a few different shops and nobody can find anything wrong… at this point I’ve pretty much given up with it lol, it’s getting warm out for summer so I’m gonna build up a new engine to drop in when it starts to get cold out.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 11:56 PM   #4
itsjustascratch21
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5i

Yeah, sometimes it's not worth the time...
Appreciate 0