ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #67
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I'd forgotten that you drive an automatic, but you can put whatever final drive ratio you'd like back there... 3.91, 4.10, etc.

The grinding issues you read about are probably related to guys who fitted the Dinan LSD on the Z4M. Those were corrected by Dinan, so it was more of a hassle than anything else. There are many, many companies out there that build a quality LSD. You don't need to be at a track to realize its performance benefits. Search for "limited slip" or "LSD" and you'll get some good info.

With regards to rotors, you can buy slotted or drilled rotors separately that fit the OE system to give you the look you want.
Last I heard is that Dinan is still outsourcing those diffs believe it or not.
      01-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #68
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
No, your posts are mis-informative because they lack accurate information. Not just the LSD, but the need for a cooling system upgrade, brakes, tires, etc.

What made you think the N52 needed a cooling upgrade? You compare it to the kit available for the 120d, whether or not there is such a kit it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison seeing how the 120d is a twin turbo diesel. Then you mention getting the BMW Perf Brakes off the e90 to fit on the Z4. Why? If you're going to mess with bias but have access to custom brackets, why stop there? Might as well put on Cayenne calipers - bigger and more bling... In response to someone's inquiry regarding a 35 profile tire, you responded

We obviously know what's standard on the Z4 3.0si. But what do you think a lower profile does? By having a smaller sidewall, the tire effectively becomes shorter. The 225/40 and 255/35 put you between 89.25 and 90mm or about 3.5". A 225/35 puts you at 3", so you lose about 1" of height.

End of day, nobody here cares what upgrades you do. None of us are vested in your car, but you came to us for questions/advice so you're going to get our feedback. And if you're post wrong information, it will be addressed, simple as that.
Right, where to begin? First of all, let me just correct you for a change. I don't know about the US, but the 120d in Europe is a single turbo diesel engine. The 123d is the twin turbo one (and it does not have a performance kit, the 120d does). I am merely saying that I wish there was a kit like this for the Z4 (i.e. a chip and a cooling system upgrade), I am not comparing anything. Furthermore, please understand my position correctly - NOTHING MADE ME THINK THE N52 ENGINE NEEDS ADDITIONAL COOLING!!!!!!! This is something that I, personally (i.e. my point of view on the matter), think that might be a suitable upgrade for my engine, if chipped, purely for the one and only reason that I would feel better about it and not worry that something might go wrong (I am not saying that it will, I am sorry if someone misunderstood my intentions, THIS IS FOR MY PEACE OF MIND ONLY, I am merely enquiring about possible upgrades, I don't see why you have to panic so much about it).

Wanting to swap the stock brake disks for grooved or drilled ones, PURELY for cosmetic purposes (again MY own opinion, I am not trying to convince anyone else to do it, the disks could be of the same diameter), does not mean I want to bias anything. I am still new at this and if I have said something that was not absolutely accurate it is because up until now I had no idea such a thing existed. Again, I am sorry if I have misled anyone or if someone misunderstood me.

As for the tires, like I said before, I am still new here. Until now I have NEVER been involved in picking tires. I drive the car to the dealership, they put SOME tires, I drive away. I was merely enquiring about the size because I read, either here or in the bimmerfest forum, that someone was using same size tires front and rear. Until today, tire size numbers (except the width) were a mystery to me. I guess I should have ask my question like this: What are the ADVANTAGES and DISADVANTAGES of using same size tires front and rear?

I would like to apologize to anyone that I might have misled with my MIS-INFORMATIVE posts.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #69
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
I'd forgotten that you drive an automatic, but you can put whatever final drive ratio you'd like back there... 3.91, 4.10, etc.

The grinding issues you read about are probably related to guys who fitted the Dinan LSD on the Z4M. Those were corrected by Dinan, so it was more of a hassle than anything else. There are many, many companies out there that build a quality LSD. You don't need to be at a track to realize its performance benefits. Search for "limited slip" or "LSD" and you'll get some good info.

With regards to rotors, you can buy slotted or drilled rotors separately that fit the OE system to give you the look you want.
The Dinan are the ones I read about.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #70
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
if you're going to correct me, do it with the understanding as to why there's a need to do so. who cares if it's single or twin? it doesn't matter -- the point is you're comparing n/a vs forced induction.

same size tires front and rear imply a square setup but you would need matching sized wheels. so if you're keeping the oem staggered wheel fitment, 8" front 8.5" rears, then there is no reason to increase the front width or decrease the rear width. however if you had a square setup, (ideally by getting wider front wheels and tires), then you'll have a more neutral setup with less understeer. this is how the e36 m3 used to come before they switched to staggered, probably because too many people were experiencing the tail end coming out. this is ideal for track. but since you're NOT tracking and you've stated that mods such as brakes are for looks, then keep staggered. staggered typically looks better since you have the aggressive rear stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
The Dinan are the ones I read about.
which wouldn't apply to you since those were only issues specific to M cars. furthermore, the issues they experienced was due to installer error as per my earlier post. it's a reflection of Dinan and Dinan only, not the Z4 or other reputable diff rebuilders.
      01-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #71
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
same size tires front and rear imply a square setup but you would need matching sized wheels. so if you're keeping the oem staggered wheel fitment, 8" front 8.5" rears, then there is no reason to increase the front width or decrease the rear width. however if you had a square setup, (ideally by getting wider front wheels and tires), then you'll have a more neutral setup with less understeer. this is how the e36 m3 used to come before they switched to staggered, probably because too many people were experiencing the tail end coming out. this is ideal for track. but since you're NOT tracking and you've stated that mods such as brakes are for looks, then keep staggered. staggered typically looks better since you have the aggressive rear stance.
See, it wasn't so difficult. This is the answer I was looking for in the first place. I am sorry I asked my question in the wrong way and misled you.

As for the comparison, in this case it does not matter if the engine is NA or FI, I am talking about the fact of having a Performance Kit from BMW. They could do such a kit for any model they like. I was merely saying that I wish they had produced one for the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #72
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
See, it wasn't so difficult. This is the answer I was looking for in the first place. I am sorry I asked my question in the wrong way and misled you.

As for the comparison, in this case it does not matter if the engine is NA or FI, I am talking about the fact of having a Performance Kit from BMW. They could do such a kit for any model they like. I was merely saying that I wish they had produced one for the Z4.
Difficult? Sarcasm... awesome. Please I shouldn't have even answered your question regarding tires seeing how that was also something you could've searched yourself. Is that to difficult for you to do?

Good luck on your project, I'm done with this thread.
      01-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #73
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Difficult? Sarcasm... awesome. Please I shouldn't have even answered your question regarding tires seeing how that was also something you could've searched yourself. Is that to difficult for you to do?

Good luck on your project, I'm done with this thread.
It is my understanding that forums like this were set up so that people who have already done the research and testing and have the ready information could help people that are new to this sort of thing so that they would not have to waste time researching.

It would have probably taken me 30 mins to find out info on the same size question, whereas you answered in 30 seconds. Please correct me, but isn't this the purpose of this forum?

I did not start this threat with the intention of stepping on someone's toes and I am sorry if I did. I am starting to regret starting it at all!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #74
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:

There's not one because there's not a reason for one. Naturally aspirated vs. forced induction. When air is compressed, it gets hotter. All of the heat that was in a large volume is now in a small volume.

Forced induction engines run hotter by nature- turbos get red hot, air is compressed to a greater degree, etc. Aftermarket tunes increase the boost pressure and add more heat. This isn't the case on a naturally aspirated engine. There is a big difference in naturally aspirated and forced induction tunes.

Tire sizes - go to tirerack.com and read up on what the measurements mean. The difference between 225/40/18 and 225/35/18 is the amount of sidewall (and therefore the diameter). The wheel size is still 18".
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #75
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
There's not one because there's not a reason for one. Naturally aspirated vs. forced induction. When air is compressed, it gets hotter. All of the heat that was in a large volume is now in a small volume.

Forced induction engines run hotter by nature- turbos get red hot, air is compressed to a greater degree, etc. Aftermarket tunes increase the boost pressure and add more heat. This isn't the case on a naturally aspirated engine. There is a big difference in naturally aspirated and forced induction tunes.

Tire sizes - go to tirerack.com and read up on what the measurements mean. The difference between 225/40/18 and 225/35/18 is the amount of sidewall (and therefore the diameter). The wheel size is still 18".
Thanks, I will read up on the tires. There are still a few things I need to learn.

Just for peace of mind (my peace of mind) I will look into, at least, a more powerful fan to go with the chip tuning. Will update when I have more info on the matter. I reckon that I might not be the only person interested in this particular mod, so it might be helpful to someone in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #76
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
An interesting development.

I did find a Gruppe M dealer in Bulgaria, but he quoted USD 1500 for the Ram Air System!!!!!
Rejoice US, you still have the cheapest tuning parts prices. I will get it shipped from Vividracing for USD 1300.

..what's wrong with ppl in my country?!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:53 AM   #77
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Just an update on the Gruppe M Intake.

I got a response from Gruppe M in Japan. However, the quoted price + delivery was just 20 USD lower than that of Vividracing. So I am guessing there are no savings in going straight to the manufacturer. For some reason I feel more comfortable ordering it from Vividracing and this is what I will do.

No word from Capristo yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #78
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I just read through this entire thread. All 4 pages! Wow! I must be bored. LOL

Follow me on Insta