ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Kapt
Rep
Drives: 535is

Vanos Upgrade

I just completed a complete Beisan upgrade of my Vanos to include a new oil pump, solenoid, anti-rattle kit, and seal kit. The step by step tutorial on the Beisan site is top notch along with their product and packaging. The instructions on their website are for the E46 chassis and some important differences exist for our Z cars (E86 in this case) because of the proximity of the front bulkhead to the Vanos. I hope to point out the differences as a supplement to the Beisan instructions.

The only special tools needed are the camshaft alignment tool for the S54 and a locking pin for the crankshaft. Note the locking pin has to be shortened because of our bulkhead.

The electric fan needs to be removed. A long screw on the left and a plastic rivet on the right (left=pax side, right=drivers) plus 2 electrical connectors are all that hold the fan in place. It pulls up and out.

A plastic cable holder for the hood latch that is directly behind the Vanos needs to be removed.

The general order of Vanos removal is solenoid first followed by the Vanos unit. There is plenty of room to unscrew the unit from the splined shafts. Note the long bolts holding the top corners of the Vanos are two of the solenoid bolts (previously removed) that act as supports while unscrewing the Vanos. The shiny tube in the middle is the oil flow regulator. It cannot be removed with the Vanos unit because of bulkhead clearance so leave it in the head for later removal or it can be removed now, just don't drop it in the timing area. On installation, it is installed first into the head before the Vanos is installed.

Note the position of the splined shafts, critical to timing during reassembly.

Part of this procedure is to replace the camshaft sprocket sleeve bolts that can back out. This requires removal of the sprocket hubs. Once the hubs are removed, the engine timing needs to be reset/checked. My bolts were the updated ones, but I replaced/locktited them anyway.

Chain guide also replaced.

These are most of the old parts that were replaced during the procedure.

My next thread will be on Vanos installation.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Kapt
Rep

The only potential snag in the procedure is getting the timing correct. The tutorial at the end of the Beisan Anti-Rattle procedure is very good, but has to be modified for our Z cars. A thorough read of the procedure is hightly recommended.

I approcach the timing as a two part procedure. First is setting the timing of the engine and second is setting the Vanos timing. Getting the first part correct prevents valves from hitting pistons and the second part gets you full use of the Vanos.

Getting the engine timing correct is easy using the cam alignment tool and crankshaft locking pin. A is exhaust and E is intake.

Now for the second part - Vanos timing.

The general concept is to install the Vanos in the fully retarded position to match the cams which are also in the retarded position thanks to the cam alignment tool. The Vanos is in the fully retarded position when the Vanos pistons are fully inserted into their respective bores. On the E46 chassis, this is done on the workbench after the splined shafts are attached. Also, the oil flow regulator is installed. On our Z cars, the splined shafts and oil flow regulator are placed into the cylinder head prior to Vanos installation. Note the difference in the positions of the splined shafts in the next photos. (Photos borrowed from Beisan and show the E46 procedure).

To get the splined shafts installed into the sprocket hubs rotate the hubs clockwise to the stop. The slots in the timing gear sprocket allow the hub to rotate while the splined shafts are inserted. Insert the shafts to a midpoint position to allow room for the Vanos installation.

Install the Vanos.

Use the long solenoid bolts to support the Vanos during installation. Pull the Vanos pistons out slightly to access the 10mm nut so the unit can be fastened to the splined shafts. After the shafts and pistons are connected, fully insert the pistons back into the Vanos. To facilitate this, torque one of the hub bolts to prevent the hub from turning, then push on the Vanos until the pistons are fully seated. Loosen the hub bolt and fully insert the Vanos onto the cylinder head referencing the Beisan procedure.

At this point the sprocket hubs are in the correct position. My procedure for torquing the hub bolts differ from the Beisan procedure. After the Vanos is installed, torque the top hub bolts to lock the hub in position. Then fully remove the Vanos and torque the hub bolts with a torque wrench (14NM). The Beisan procedure has you torque the bolts by feel while the Vanos is installed. After the Vanos is removed (for the second time) the splined shafts should be in the same position as when you first started the procedure.

Don't forget to install the oil flow regulator for the final Vanos installation.

If you are just replacing Vanos seals and/or Vanos solenoid, timing is not an issue.

Last edited by Kapt; 09-10-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Looking to do this in the future, thanks for the write up. How is she running now? Quieter than before?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
Kapt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Looking to do this in the future, thanks for the write up. How is she running now? Quieter than before?

I did the Vanos as a preventative measure because I want to start doing some track days. Just some extra peace of mind. It was running strong before and is still running strong now. As far as the noise goes, it was always quiet but I would say extra quiet now.
Appreciate 0