ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
newbizie
Private
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0i

aFe intake parts

Hey guys so I had a question about the aFe intake
1. what is the heat shield made of
2. what is so special about the filter ie. is it better than a K&N
3.what other parts come in the kit

Btw this is for a 3.0i

I ask because I have some free time and want to build a double aluminum heat shield for an intake
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

1. 16 Gauge Steel coated with heat resistant paint (has the consistency or feel of rough metal but looks coarse). The O2 Sensor has a SS housing with prepped mounting for extremely easy instillation.
2. It is a 5.5" Conical Filter (at least for M Models) which narrows down to your 3" tubing. This provides a more serious take on induction. Can't say it really improves horsepower yet.
3. As mentioned the housing for the O2 sensor is probably most valuable. Some stickers and other things if you want to get fancy but these are pretty basic parts and kits.

Overall what you get out of this is a DRASTIC improvement in sound quality from the engine. The original air box leaves you with an extremely muffled and quieted sound due to a lot of baffling. Essentially take a box, stuff it with pillows then put your head in it and yell at the top of your lungs, now do the same thing without the pillows... that's about the difference you get with this sort of upgrade on your car.

EDIT:

So I just looked up the part for the 3.0i.
It looks like you don't quite get the same filter options but you get something similar. That's the greatest change. The one for the M comes with a larger filter and a larger adapter (which is metal) but for the 3.0i it comes with a boot. The metal and all the rest of the parts are exactly the same make but just different sizes assumed to fit the different engine bay.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...0L&&brandID=53

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Arsonism; 01-27-2014 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
newbizie
Private
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0i

It surely does THANKS!
Appreciate 0