ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
PowerBox Tune for N52?

Not usually a believer of chips for n/a engines but this tuner has posted some decent dynos, with few e90 owners posting good results. Thoughts anyone?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312663
      03-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Jaydon Fabulous
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0si coupe

I'm definitely interested in this as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

I've looked into this a fair bit. It's pretty clear that the PBX effectively performs a throttle remap - very much like what pushing the "sport" button does, only with 3 different sensitivity levels instead of 1.

The "tune" is a bit more controversial. BMS claims they just richen the mixture a bit and get 10 hp extra from both the 225 and 255 hp version of the N52 (e.g. the Z4 3.0i and 3.0si - though the tests were performed on 328 and 330i's). They do have dynos that back this up, but I still find it a bit baffling that the same simple mixture change works for all N52s - and that BMW would not optimize the default mixture and leave this kind of easily accessible power on the table.

In any case, the price is cheap enough that it's probably worth it just for the throttle remap (the main thing that folks actually notice). For folks without the Sport package, but jonesin' for a Sport button, this is probably the cheapest effective approach available.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Jaydon Fabulous
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0si coupe

I definitely want this, but i'm waiting for a review from one that's actually installed in a z4. I'm not sure where our ecu is located and if it's a simple plug and play like in the e90's.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

$300 for 6hp?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
$300 for 6hp?
Less money than many spend on exhaust systems for equal or less gains. The ability to select throttle sensitivity has my interest.
      01-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #7
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I just installed the BMS PBX (power box) in my 2006 3.0si Coupe and I love it. Its supposed to give 10hp and about 17 lb-ft of torque according to the 330i dyno chart they show, which is essentially the same engine and tune as the 3.0si. Its great because you can turn the performance remap on and off to feel the difference. Also, you can set the throttle mapping, which I really like. Before the install, driving with the sport button on was a bit too sensitive to throttle tip in, and with sport off, it was a bit too lazy. Now, with the chip installed, I have the map set at 60% and its perfect. The sport button still works and gives a little more boost to the throttle tip-in if i want. I'm really quite happy with it.

It was a little intimidating at first because you have to take your ECU out and pull a bunch of wires. However, the instructions are very detailed and easy to follow. And our cars have almost everything under the long hood within easy access. The ECU is on the drivers side and very easy to get to. Everything is reversible as well.

I took a gamble wondering if it would make a difference; I am happy I did. It really seemed to liven up the car.

I also have a drop-in K&N i won at an autocross. Some people love 'em, some hate 'em. I didn't feel or hear much anything after the swap, but together with the chip, it seems to be magic right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Better options on the market now, no one should really buy this.

Last edited by Taskmaster; 01-11-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Better options on the market now, no one should really but this.
Always interested in knowing, which one(s) did you have in mind?
      01-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

I personally have OE tune and AA is also has positive reviews and proven power gains.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Yes, there are other tunes out there and from reputable companies. OE (oetuning.com) and AA (activeautowerke.com) are two that make popular tunes. However, from what I've seen, with a completely stock system, especially the 3.0si, they all claim about a 10hp bump and 15 lb ft. They all show dynos supporting that claim, BMS included. I don't believe "butt" dynos saying one is better than the other. I don't think you could really feel 10hp much anyway. The OE and AA method requires going into a shop and they flash your ECU. Unless you buy the tool for additional $$, I believe you have to go back to the shop and have it flashed back to normal if thats what you want to do. The OE and AA tunes are both $400 to $500 from what I've seen. The BMS box is $250. If you were going to do additional mods, like headers, cat delete, cai, etc., then I would say go with AA or OE because they can be custom configured for those applications. But if you are going to keep it stock mostly, I felt the BMS was fine. Also, I really liked the ability to turn the performance setting on/off in case I need to get it smogged or if I'm on a long road trip with poor gas in the mountains, and the potential to knock is real, idk, whatever. Its also nice to choose between throttle maps, all from inside the car. The other tunes you are stuck with what is set. I've heard some have BOTH the BMS and an AA tune because they like the throttle mapping of the BMS and the tune of the AA. So, its all a matter of choice I suppose. I don't own stock in any of these companies, so I don't really care what people choose. I'm just laying some info out there for people to make their own best decision.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0