ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

Franken-exhaust

It looks terrible, I will get it remade in stainless now that I do not think I will change it anymore. I had several diffrent configurations to include series 40 flowmasters, x pipes and cats. System now is EBay headers, one aero turbine resonated muffler and no cats at all.

Name:  exhaust.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  582.2 KB

and a video of crusing and drone, since this video I wraped my complete exhaust in header tape and drone is almost non-exsistant. This exhaust is still LOUD outside of the car but not bad at all inside.

Same night as cruise video, software tune, wrap and mounts it sounds better now.

2007 Z4MC, 1" drop H&R Springs, Evolve Tunning, Headers, K&N Filter, RPI scoop, Red top high energy coils, UUC Red Poly mounts (none bolt-through), UUC Lightweight Flywheel with Organic Clutch and a custom exhaust with just one AeroTurbine muffler.

Last edited by davesz4mc; 02-26-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

I don't think it looks terrible because of steel vs stainless but more because the person who did this don't know how to weld... Find a decent welding shop next time, I am pretty sure those welds kill the airflow.

Also, you should leave a little bit more lenght after the headers before merging into a one pipe design. I would merge it where the cats usually are.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, my dad did it for me so I will tell him he sucks at welding and I will go pay to have it done somewhere else.

As this is the pre-fab system to figure my final configuration and these are slip joint welds airflow should not be affected. Granted it is ugly =-)

Now I will have it copied out of smooth manderal bent stainless...
2007 Z4MC, 1" drop H&R Springs, Evolve Tunning, Headers, K&N Filter, RPI scoop, Red top high energy coils, UUC Red Poly mounts (none bolt-through), UUC Lightweight Flywheel with Organic Clutch and a custom exhaust with just one AeroTurbine muffler.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
speddmn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz4mc View Post
Thanks, my dad did it for me so I will tell him he sucks at welding and I will go pay to have it done somewhere else.

looks like un-shielded garage welds to me - ain't bad

Gt's just grumpy
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz4mc View Post

As this is the pre-fab system to figure my final configuration and these are slip joint welds airflow should not be affected. Granted it is ugly =-)

Now I will have it copied out of smooth manderal bent stainless...
got a good chuckle out of that
      02-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Hahah...make sure to record his reaction when you tell him he sucks at welding!

Seriously though, your system gave me inspiration to change mine up again. I'm switching from my current setup (generic resonators replacing OEM mufflers) to a custom X pipe (OEM resonator section removed, replaced with 9" long straight through resonators on each pipe...Aero AR25's didn't fit, they were too long), going to two AT2525's (looks like you have just one there replacing the cat) with powder coated black dual tips. On schedule to get it fabricated and installed in two weeks!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

sounds pretty good...are you running stock mufflers? I just bought VAC headers and looking at dkf resonated section 2...planning on a custom x pipe and mufflers tossing the extra resonator on the x pipe seems like a great idea to completely kill the rasp and drone

side note, what are you running in the 1/4 mile?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The Tips (not pictured) are just straight pipe to dual 2.5" tips. The only thing the entire system has in it is that one 3" resonated AT muffler.

There is a drag thread under the "track" section.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
IDLE TIME
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: still searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz4mc
The Tips (not pictured) are just straight pipe to dual 2.5" tips. The only thing the entire system has in it is that one 3" resonated AT muffler.

There is a drag thread under the "track" section.
Have any pic of the tips yet.
Appreciate 0