ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #287
3GFX
Captain
3GFX's Avatar
Canada
447
Rep
664
Posts

Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscbrah View Post
How so? Isn't stock rear8.5" on a 3.0si?
Yup, not sure why I thought it was 9.5".

Still go, staggered and get some bigger rubber in the rear. Rear wheel cars like ours beg for a staggered set
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 05:01 AM   #288
iShimy
New Member
New Zealand
0
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: Z4 E86 3.0si
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Hi,
I have inherited some Vossen CVT, Gloss Graphite, front 19"x8.5 ET40, which are fine.
However the backs are 19"x10 ET50, sadly they don't fit well rubbing the plastic guard on the inside. The tyre shop said I would need to cut the plastic guard and put a spacer for it to work. I freaked out and ran for my life. Any advise / help on what exactly I can do would be appreciated, thanks. They said if I used a 8mm spacer put 265 tyres it will be sitting beyond the fender, by this time I was half way down the road
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #289
3GFX
Captain
3GFX's Avatar
Canada
447
Rep
664
Posts

Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Run negative camber to get them to fit (but that would cause handling issue and major tire wear).

"SOME" wheels can be lightly machined to reduce ET. Couldn't tell you where to go, but it is occasionally an option.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #290
snowfarmer
Custom User Title
Canada
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pemberton, BC

iTrader: (0)

I have a set of Style 281 18x8 ET30 wheels, square setup on 225/40 tires.

Will they fit on a 2007 Z4 3.0si coupe? The style 281's extend 17mm front and 14mm rear further than the style 203's on the car now.

The style 281 wheels are the winter wheels from my 335i that I'm replacing with a Z4 coupe. I'm hoping that I can keep them to run as the winter setup on the Z4. If not, c'est la vie, I'll start hunting for a new set of winter rims.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #291
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
806
Rep
10,715
Posts

Drives: E86, E90, F25
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (85)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShimy View Post
Hi,
I have inherited some Vossen CVT, Gloss Graphite, front 19"x8.5 ET40, which are fine.
However the backs are 19"x10 ET50, sadly they don't fit well rubbing the plastic guard on the inside. The tyre shop said I would need to cut the plastic guard and put a spacer for it to work. I freaked out and ran for my life. Any advise / help on what exactly I can do would be appreciated, thanks. They said if I used a 8mm spacer put 265 tyres it will be sitting beyond the fender, by this time I was half way down the road
Throw on a spacer to push away from the plastic but run some negative camber to tuck under fender.
__________________
Active Autowerke | Supersprint | TC Kline | Ground Control | MFactory | Volks | Nitto

NASA NE TT5 #821
Appreciate 1
TRiCC26.50

      09-11-2017, 03:51 AM   #292
Mr. Monday
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: Z4C 3.0si
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

What are the widest front and rear 18" wheels and tires I can strap on the Z4. Could I fit 9" front and 10" rear? What offset would I need?
I would love to have 275 or 285 rear tires.

I am planning to add some power so I will need as much grip as possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #293
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
806
Rep
10,715
Posts

Drives: E86, E90, F25
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (85)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monday View Post
What are the widest front and rear 18" wheels and tires I can strap on the Z4. Could I fit 9" front and 10" rear? What offset would I need?
I would love to have 275 or 285 rear tires.

I am planning to add some power so I will need as much grip as possible.
Depends on suspension but I ran 9.5 et30 with 255 rs3's up front with -2.7* camber. You might be able to run 265 front and rear with the same wheel width/offset if you have more camber dialed in but 275 is unlikely.
__________________
Active Autowerke | Supersprint | TC Kline | Ground Control | MFactory | Volks | Nitto

NASA NE TT5 #821

Last edited by 3002 tii; 09-12-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Appreciate 1
TRiCC26.50

      09-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #294
3GFX
Captain
3GFX's Avatar
Canada
447
Rep
664
Posts

Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monday View Post
What are the widest front and rear 18" wheels and tires I can strap on the Z4. Could I fit 9" front and 10" rear? What offset would I need?
I would love to have 275 or 285 rear tires.

I am planning to add some power so I will need as much grip as possible.
If you're keeping the stock fender width 265 would be the max you could go. Sure the rear at 275 may seem like more rubber but the amount of camber you would have to dial in would mean much less of an actual contact patch. 275's CAN fit. But you need the perfect offset. Take a wheel off and get in there with a tape measure.

The front, can't manage more than 245 imho, just not enough room in that wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #295
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
806
Rep
10,715
Posts

Drives: E86, E90, F25
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (85)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
If you're keeping the stock fender width 265 would be the max you could go. Sure the rear at 275 may seem like more rubber but the amount of camber you would have to dial in would mean much less of an actual contact patch. 275's CAN fit. But you need the perfect offset. Take a wheel off and get in there with a tape measure.

The front, can't manage more than 245 imho, just not enough room in that wheel well.
I got 255s to fit up front pretty easily and didn't require crazy amounts of camber.
__________________
Active Autowerke | Supersprint | TC Kline | Ground Control | MFactory | Volks | Nitto

NASA NE TT5 #821
Appreciate 1
TRiCC26.50

      09-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #296
3GFX
Captain
3GFX's Avatar
Canada
447
Rep
664
Posts

Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I got 255s to fit up front pretty easily and didn't require crazy amounts of camber.
That's a good thing, I had lots of rubbing with 245, but the offset may not have been correct. If you haven't already...post your specs!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #297
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
806
Rep
10,715
Posts

Drives: E86, E90, F25
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (85)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
That's a good thing, I had lots of rubbing with 245, but the offset may not have been correct. If you haven't already...post your specs!
Few posts up but 9.0-9.5 up front with 30 to 35 offset, you'll need about -2.5 or more. Key is to keep overall diameter within spec of 25" else you'll rub front liner with anything taller.
__________________
Active Autowerke | Supersprint | TC Kline | Ground Control | MFactory | Volks | Nitto

NASA NE TT5 #821
Appreciate 2
3GFX446.50
TRiCC26.50

      09-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #298
jns_e85
Private First Class
jns_e85's Avatar
25
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: 2004 z4 3.0i & 2006 z4M
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I got 255s to fit up front pretty easily and didn't require crazy amounts of camber.
Second this. The misses runs 255/40/17 on 17X8.5 Kosei K1 square for autocross with no issues. No spacers or fender mods what so ever. Camber pins were pulled in the front, and am sitting at -1.8 camber.
__________________

2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Turner Pulleys / Eventuri / Euro Headers / Section 1 / Custom Stromungs / FA 500 + Camber Bolts / VT Engine Mounts / RE Trans Mounts / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Koni Yellows / Style 224s / AFE / Stromung Exhaust / Z4M Engine Mounts / M3 Trans Mounts / Beisan VANOS / GAS DISA
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #299
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
104
Rep
904
Posts

Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: MA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
That's a good thing, I had lots of rubbing with 245, but the offset may not have been correct. If you haven't already...post your specs!
Both me and unluky have the same model car as you and we are running 245/35-18 on our fronts with plenty of clearance without adjusting the camber. I'm lowered on Eibachs and use a small 5mm spacer up front (its actually 7mm after you take into account the extra 2mm offset from my aftermarket wheels). I believe unluky has H&R's and uses a 15mm spacer up front. The key is to put it on a 8" rim. Did you try using a 8.5-9" rim?

Last edited by Twixboy; 09-28-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #300
atif7x7
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4C
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Arrow

Need some help here -

I am picking up a set of CSL Reps 19 without tires.

I have leftover tires in new conditions from a Mustang:

The fronts are 255/40/19
Rears: 275/40/19

Will I be able to use these tires on the rims for a z4 3.0 si with sports suspension? The car is not lowered - stock suspension setup.

Any advice would be great!

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #301
dbarton62
Lieutenant Colonel
dbarton62's Avatar
Canada
253
Rep
1,568
Posts

Drives: 04ZR 3.0 6 speed VF SC
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

iTrader: (2)

I doubt those tires will work. But the rim width and offsets will tell you whether they have a chance of fitting
__________________
Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, 2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, TTFS tune, Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.64LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.ST coils,Koni Yellows. Megan camber arms. Carbon interior, SSK, UUC brake lines, PowerStop Brakes. Poly. CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #302
atif7x7
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4C
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
I doubt those tires will work. But the rim width and offsets will tell you whether they have a chance of fitting

Rims:

Front: 19 X 8.5 ET 40 (will have the 255/40 tires on it)
Rears: 19 X 9.5 ET 33 (Will have the 275/40 tires on it)

Let me know if this would work ?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #303
dbarton62
Lieutenant Colonel
dbarton62's Avatar
Canada
253
Rep
1,568
Posts

Drives: 04ZR 3.0 6 speed VF SC
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

iTrader: (2)

Check these calculators
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
__________________
Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, 2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, TTFS tune, Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.64LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.ST coils,Koni Yellows. Megan camber arms. Carbon interior, SSK, UUC brake lines, PowerStop Brakes. Poly. CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 01:50 AM   #304
The HACK
Roger Murdock
The HACK's Avatar
870
Rep
4,749
Posts

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2015 Fiat 500e
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atif7x7 View Post
Will I be able to use these tires...
No. Those tires are over 2.5” larger in diameter, more than 10% larger overall. It’d be crazy to even try it IMO. They’ll likely rub because they’re more than 1.25” closer to the fender just based on radius along, plus another 3/4” closer to the fender axially.

No way in hell would I even consider it no matter what the wheel size and offset is.
__________________
The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night! Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

-Roger Murdock
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #305
proboner
New Member
4
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (0)

Hey everyone. About to get a new wheel/tire combo and looking for some experienced opinions before everything is purchased and mounted.

Planned setup- Front: 19x8.5 +35 with 225/40/19 tires. Rear: 19x9.5 +35 with 255/35/19 tires.

Really I have 2 questions... will there be any issues with the offset on these? I'm hoping none of it will stick outside the fenders. Secondly, do you think my tires will cause rubbing issues? Considering the Z4M's run similar size tires I figured it wouldn't be an issue, especially since I'm at stock height.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #306
dbarton62
Lieutenant Colonel
dbarton62's Avatar
Canada
253
Rep
1,568
Posts

Drives: 04ZR 3.0 6 speed VF SC
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proboner View Post
Hey everyone. About to get a new wheel/tire combo and looking for some experienced opinions before everything is purchased and mounted.

Planned setup- Front: 19x8.5 +35 with 225/40/19 tires. Rear: 19x9.5 +35 with 255/35/19 tires.

Really I have 2 questions... will there be any issues with the offset on these? I'm hoping none of it will stick outside the fenders. Secondly, do you think my tires will cause rubbing issues? Considering the Z4M's run similar size tires I figured it wouldn't be an issue, especially since I'm at stock height.

Thanks!
I had the same specs in 18”.

You may want to put a 10mm spacer on the fronts to bring them flush.
I did and had zero rubbing issues.
The rear will require adjustable camber arms as this setup will poke a bit and you will need to add neg camber to compensate. I ran 2 degrees.
I do get inner fender rub on deep road dips but never any fender rub.

FYI
I wore out the inner edge of my rears in 10k miles on that setup.
I have since gone to a 9” et 35 Rear rim so I can run less camber.
__________________
Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, 2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, TTFS tune, Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.64LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.ST coils,Koni Yellows. Megan camber arms. Carbon interior, SSK, UUC brake lines, PowerStop Brakes. Poly. CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #307
proboner
New Member
4
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (0)

Shite, good to know. I haven't actually purchased the wheels yet, just the tires. I'll have to see if I can get them in 9" instead...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #308
proboner
New Member
4
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
I had the same specs in 18”.

You may want to put a 10mm spacer on the fronts to bring them flush.
I did and had zero rubbing issues.
The rear will require adjustable camber arms as this setup will poke a bit and you will need to add neg camber to compensate. I ran 2 degrees.
I do get inner fender rub on deep road dips but never any fender rub.

FYI
I wore out the inner edge of my rears in 10k miles on that setup.
I have since gone to a 9” et 35 Rear rim so I can run less camber.
So I currently have Style 224 wheels on my car, which look to be 9" wide with +30 offset in the rear. Seems to be pretty much spot on fitment wise. That would essentially be the equivalent of a 9.5" wide wheel with a +35 offset (technically +1mm). So in the end I think I'll be alright with it! Great success!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST