ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
Kapt
Rep
Drives: 535is

Black dash blotchy

The top of my Z4M dash is shiny in some areas and flat black in others to give it a blotchy, irregular appearance. What do you guys use to clean and protect the dash? I haven't had the car that long so I don't know if this could be sun damage or normal, but I'd prefer the flat black look. I usually use Vinylex by Lexol on plastic with good results, but it doesn't have much effect in this case.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

When needed I dust the dash, then apply some protectant using a high quality fabric that doesn't shed. Just spray the protectant on the fabric and lightly "blot" the dash to work in and around the rough surface.

Also, there's only one plastic / rubber / vinyl protectant I would ever use on a car, and that's 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's expensive and a little hard to find, but easy to order online. Amazing UV protection, and non of that awful greasy goop that gets left by other products.

Last edited by ried; 04-02-2014 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

I think because of the somewhat rough surface texture of the dash, its almost impossible to get it looking decent with a flat finish protectant.

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Black (also sold as Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant), and it works pretty well. If your dash has been neglected for a while (like mine), try to clean it vigorously with an interior cleaner first (Lexol is perfect for this step), then apply the Ultimate Black, rub it in a bit, and let it sit on there for about 5 minutes. Then wipe the excess off with a microfiber towel and buff it very lightly to knock down the gloss.

The tops of my door cards were looking really bad, after 3 applications of the Ultimate Black, letting it soak in each time, they look a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

The BMW quick detailer did wonders for my dash - looks almost brand new again. Not pricey either.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
My dash has been blotchy since the day I drove it off the lot almost 7 years ago. It's like there' some coating on it from the factory that didn't get done correctly/evenly. Still looks the same after all these years. I rarely notice it any more because I'm used to it, and it's not so obvious that anyone else would likely notice. But it doesn't just go away with various interior treatments either, at least nothing I've tried to this point.
      04-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Really? My dash is perfect, and that's in the Dubai sun. It's a pretty rough texture, not sure how you would get that shiny?
Appreciate 0