ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Feeler: Ground Control Track/School Coil-Over for MZ4 Coupe?

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
These GC coilovers have served me well, but I'm thinking of getting a set of KW Club Sports to replace. They've been on the car since ~25,000 miles, and the car is about to hit 50,000. Rear shocks rebuilt about a year ago at 45,000 miles at ProParts USA, they put it on a shock dyno and said the shocks are in great shape, so I had them revalve it to my liking while they were in there.

Not going to beat around the bush, these are used on a car that sees primarily track miles. But I do take good care of the car, and judging by the shape of the rear shocks I'd say the whole set is still in very good shape. I can post pictures of the set when I bought them, but it'd be little use to anyone. One of the rear perches has some spring scuff marks on it.

If you're local (So Cal) I can do the installation for you, the ride height is set well and it's corner balanced to my 220lbs frame, but each car will be different. Very good for the track, a little on the stiff side for every day street use, but a very robust kit. It's $1,849 new from GC with all the trimmings (upgraded shock mounts, camber plates, etc).

I prefer local pick-up but will ship if no takers. Still waiting to hear back from KW on the availability and price, and it's unlikely that the CO will be off the car until mid April. So putting the feelers out, if you want it, plan accordingly.

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

I'm interested. What are you asking for them?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
The HACK
Rep

$1,000 OBO. If local pick-up I am willing to offer a significant discount.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.

Last edited by The HACK; 03-10-2017 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
The HACK
Rep

Okay, happening FOR SURE. Just placed the order for the Kay-Dubs.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
The HACK
Rep

Bump. Will sell for $800 AND install if local (Southern California). It's a pretty robust kit in great condition and for about the same price you'd pay for a set of new adjustable shocks!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Wow what a sick deal!!! Since I'm a checkbook mechanic installation alone cost me like $500 with my H&Rs. Somebody should take Mr. Hack up on this fast!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
The HACK
Rep

I've removed, installed, then removed the entire suspension front and rear enough times to be able to do this almost in my sleep. Plus I've already collected all the tools to to this in. And the front coil over come fully assembled. AND I've learned a trick or two on how to remove the rear springs. Lastly, POWER TOOLS.

I think, record time, it took me about 2.5 hours to take out and reinstall the front AND rear suspension with a lift. Without a lift, probably closer to 3. If I have to remove the rear trims to do it, maybe 4.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I've removed, installed, then removed the entire suspension front and rear enough times to be able to do this almost in my sleep. Plus I've already collected all the tools to to this in. And the front coil over come fully assembled. AND I've learned a trick or two on how to remove the rear springs. Lastly, POWER TOOLS.

I think, record time, it took me about 2.5 hours to take out and reinstall the front AND rear suspension with a lift. Without a lift, probably closer to 3. If I have to remove the rear trims to do it, maybe 4.
have you ever done the rear mounts on a roadster? i have a new-ish oem suspension i want to swap in for mine (95k miles on the clock), i've been dragging my feet because the rears are supposed to be a bitch on the roadster. perhaps I could entice you with beer/bbq/cash into assisting me for an afternoon? i'd buy your GC set but I barely clear the potholes and such at stock ride height.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #9
The HACK
Rep

Roadsters are a bitch. If you are going to install anything back there, do it once and get either a Rogue Engineering or Ground Control or any of the rear mounts that allow you to remove the mount from below the car.

I need to consult the TIS on the roadster, but if you need help on anything, let me know. I'd be happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #10
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Roadsters are a bitch. If you are going to install anything back there, do it once and get either a Rogue Engineering or Ground Control or any of the rear mounts that allow you to remove the mount from below the car.

I need to consult the TIS on the roadster, but if you need help on anything, let me know. I'd be happy to help.
I figured I'd get the Rogue mounts for that reason, but I know you have to take the rear tray out, and that looks like such a bitch that I've been afraid to do it.

If you don't mind, I'd love to hit you up for some supervision sometime in the next few months.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
The HACK
Rep

BUMP. GC coil overs coming off of the car this weekend. Will take pictures.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
I figured I'd get the Rogue mounts for that reason, but I know you have to take the rear tray out, and that looks like such a bitch that I've been afraid to do it.

If you don't mind, I'd love to hit you up for some supervision sometime in the next few months.
I think the difficulty of this is overblown, it really wasn't bad from what I remember when I did it. Helps to have skinny hands maybe
      03-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #13
The HACK
Rep

Sale pending.

In the interest of full disclosure, when I took the front coil overs off the car this past weekend, I noticed one of the struts won't "expand." The fronts are due for a rebuild. The buyer for the pending sale is aware of this and we're trying to work something out.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 04:23 AM   #14
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:

Can u share the tricks for the rear springs lol. I wish I could take it out without removing any bolts
      04-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #15
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post
Can u share the tricks for the rear springs lol. I wish I could take it out without removing any bolts
Disconnect the sway bar. A small 90 degree power ratchet or impact gun works well here with a long extension. Take off the sway bar endlink bracket from the control arm first.

I take a small boxend and lock the 13mm bolt from top of the control arm, then go under the car and hit the nut with power tool. Once the bracket comes off the control arm swings down freely and the rear springs comes out easily.
Appreciate 0