ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - California
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Inspection and Registration in CA

I just moved to the Bay Area and will be working in Milpitas on the 1st of October. The MCoupe is on its way and should be here in the next 5-10 days. Do you think they will give me a hard time with the Afe Intake and Supersprint X-pipe and Race Cans? What else do i need to do to register the car here? Thank you in advance and looking forward to meet up with the local chapter.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Like you, I recently moved in from out of state. Emissions test is required. It doesn't seem like your mods would change your emissions drastically, but I could be wrong. If you fail for whatever reason, take off the offending mods and test again.

Other than that, registration is standard -- except that you need to change your plates AT THE DMV and TURN IN YOUR OLD PLATES to make it official. If you do not have tools, THEY WILL BE PROVIDED FOR YOU. I kid not.

Also, I had to take the f'ing written test! I have changed states many times and this was the first time I had to do this. I have no idea how I passed. I guessed on 80% of those bizarre trick questions that I have yet to experience as a driver of 16 years.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

im pretty sure you're gonna fail visual inspection during emissions test (required before registration)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ichal2dZ4M View Post
im pretty sure you're gonna fail visual inspection during emissions test (required before registration)
I don't have an intake but I had my Diablos on and they sound beastly. If they ask you about the intake, just say it's standard on the M models. The inspector was surprised by what was under my hood -- "I thought these things were 4-cylinders".
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Pheonix
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Thanks for the inputs! Yeah, i already scheduled with DMV to change my license and noticed the written test requirement (kinda retarted consider California drivers a some of the worse i've seen). Hopefully i will pass.
I still have the OEM airbox so i will swap it out just to be safe. I just have to take it easy on the throttle with the Supersprint setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

I recently did the smog check on my car, and I also have the AFE intake on my car, when the guy at the shop saw my intake he asked me if it was CA legal and asked me for a proof, I just showed him the web page were I bought it and the description of the item, on the description it clearly say CA legal.
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Good luck and welcome to CA!

Sounds like yet another reason to have another one of our awesome norcal meets to welcome you to the bay! Hahah...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fercho View Post
I recently did the smog check on my car, and I also have the AFE intake on my car, when the guy at the shop saw my intake he asked me if it was CA legal and asked me for a proof, I just showed him the web page were I bought it and the description of the item, on the description it clearly say CA legal.
Fercho, what site was that? I wouldn't mind having a copy in case it's ever an issue? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Welcome! And be sure to actually run your car pretty hard just prior to putting it on the rollers for the smog inspection. Gotta heat up those catalytic converters and pass with flying colors

I doubt you'll have to worry about your x-pipe nor mufflers. Sound is of no concern at the smog station, just your fumes and underhood visual inspection.

Good luck and please post up the numbers after you pass!

Cya soon at the next local get-together

As for my car's smog, I'm hoping for the best with a couple sources I have when time comes.
I wonder if my two secondary cats will be enough to pass the sniffer...
If so, then all I'll need to worry about if the OBD2 passes the readiness test. I'm not sure if Active Autowerk tuned down the sensitivity of the secondary O2 sensors or if they shut them off completely; and how it'll end up when time comes for the actual smog.
I'll probably pay a place just to try and see what numbers I pull, before doing an official test.
If all else fails, I'll just put my stock headers back on.

Last edited by mfanatic325; 09-26-2012 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...5L&&brandID=52

on the bottom of the page you can read that it clearly say that is 50 state legal.
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

on the bottom of the page you can read that it clearly say that is 50 state legal.
Good find! And they have the E.O. (Executive Order) number too (D-550-2). The only potential issue is that it says "legal for 2003 - 2005 models". Bureaucrats are pretty picky about those things, and E.O.s are model year, model, and engine specific.

The only way to know for sure whether you need to swap back the stock airbox for the test is to look at the E.O. itself. The California Air Resources Board has an E.O. database (which is offline at the moment). IIRC you can search by brand too (can't tell 'cause the site is not up).

If you find an E.O., print the page(s) and have them with you when you go to the inspection and you won't have to remove the intake. Otherwise you'll have to put the stock box back on for the test.

Edit: itdnwiwbp is correct, there's an EO for the M54 but not for the S54. I'm going to stop posting until I'm done with this cold. Grrr. So it's going to be an airbox swap for the test, but you could always search the E.O. db just in case you might get lucky. Oh well, not too big a deal!

Last edited by Finnegan; 09-26-2012 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:

Oh, you have an '05? I thought your's was an M. I should have looked closer. Thanks for the link, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #13
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

mine is an 05 I forget to tell you that, but to be honest I don't think they will care bout the intake, the person that ask me about my intake was and old guy probably in his 68 69 years, my friend did the smoke check on his car and they saw the afe intake, and did't say anything about it, they probably say something if they see a cheap intake but not for the afe.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:04 AM   #14
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

hey found this I don't think yours is CA legal

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...155111602.html
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:
hey found this I don't think yours is CA legal

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...155111602.html
Yeah, I've checked the CARB list. M AFEs aren't legal. Lame. That's why I was hoping there was a website I could "reference".
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
Pheonix
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Got some updates. The Coupe got to the Bay Area last sunday. I started my new job in Milpitas on Monday. I dont know how you guys deal with the crazy traffics; i guess i just have to figure out a better schedule and not get stuck in traffics for hours on ends.
Now the important part, i didnt swap out the Afe Intake and the exhaust but it passed smog. The tech was looking under hood and the rear but didnt give me any problem.
I have an apt at Fremont DMV next Friday to get the car registered. Hopefully it will go as smoothly and i will officially be the Norcal member
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Got some updates. The Coupe got to the Bay Area last sunday. I started my new job in Milpitas on Monday. I dont know how you guys deal with the crazy traffics; i guess i just have to figure out a better schedule and not get stuck in traffics for hours on ends.
Now the important part, i didnt swap out the Afe Intake and the exhaust but it passed smog. The tech was looking under hood and the rear but didnt give me any problem.
I have an apt at Fremont DMV next Friday to get the car registered. Hopefully it will go as smoothly and i will officially be the Norcal member
Sounds like you're set to go!
They send the SMOG cert electronically to DMV by scanning your VIN. So when you go in and pay the fees, you'll be official

My older brother works in Milpitas as well. 880 can be a pain in the ass. Try to wait until 9AM before commute? Otherwise you gotta be on 880 well before 8AM lol..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
Pheonix
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I live in Foster City so 101 is the best way for me to go. Unfortunately i have to be at work before 9am. I have tried to leave the house aorund 6:30am and it wasnt too bad. Except when there were accidents. The afternoon drives were pretty intensed as i left work around 5-5:30. I guess i just have get use to it; maybe find a nice gym down in Milpitas and avoid the afternoon rush hour traffics. By the way, i thought New Jersey and Massachusetts drivers were bad until i experienced CA drivers
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Oh wow that is quite an unfortunate commute...maybe see if you can find a place to stay that's closer to Milpitas.

Haha Cali has happy cows and angry drivers :P
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
I live in Foster City so 101 is the best way for me to go. Unfortunately i have to be at work before 9am. I have tried to leave the house aorund 6:30am and it wasnt too bad. Except when there were accidents. The afternoon drives were pretty intensed as i left work around 5-5:30. I guess i just have get use to it; maybe find a nice gym down in Milpitas and avoid the afternoon rush hour traffics. By the way, i thought New Jersey and Massachusetts drivers were bad until i experienced CA drivers
Gym near work is a good idea if the parking/neighborhood is nice. I used to do that when I worked in Oakland and commuted from Walnut Creek. Getting in traffic at 5 or 6pm was like having a root canal most days. I'd be done with the gym around 7 or 7:30pm, and then it was a breeze to get home. Being anywhere on the roads in the Bay Area between 7:30 am and 9am is like having a root canal as well. Leave early, be happier.

Oh, and yeah, people have no idea how to drive here. First, there's just plain incompetent driving. I think you'd have to be legally dead here to not get a license. But that's if there's a license at all, as about 13% of drivers either don't have a license or have a revoked or suspended license. Better yet, a large number have no insurance (20% to 25%). Driving without either gets you, at most, a slap on the wrist. So make sure you have "uninsured motorist" coverage. It's a nice little tax we pay here in CA for covering those who don't have any insurance. Not that I have an opinion on these particular topics or anything.

Last edited by Finnegan; 10-06-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #21
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
I live in Foster City so 101 is the best way for me to go.
Welcome to Foster City. I live there, too. I also drive an 07 M Coupe, and I also just recently imported the car from out of state. My situation was a bit different in that I am a CA resident and bought the car from out of state. It's bone stock mechanically and I had zero issues with smog and registration. Sorry about your commute. 101 @ Mountain View/Google is a serious drag. I also commute to the south bay, but luckily I can take 280 which doesn't back up much (and just happens to be one of the best urban freeways in the entire world, imho.)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Yeah that stretch of 280 between Cupertino and South Frisco is actually one of the nicer freeways around. And so is the section of 85 between Cupertino and South San Jose. Great for drag races late at night when no-one is around LOL
Appreciate 0