ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
glock40
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

How many things can go wrong when 3rd party installing tires?

Now that I own a Z4MR, I am paying heretofore unrivaled attention to the smallest of details and formerly unnoticed issues. Such as:

I need rear tires and I can get a friends/family substantial discount at Firestone. What I am now getting paranoid about is given the fine precision of my ///M machine, how many things can an unspecialized 3rd party shop like a random Firestone screw up when installing new tires compared to a BMW dealer? For instance, do I have to worry they will not competently do an alignment compared to a BMW dealer? Or will my brakes be adjusted in the process? Etc? Or should I just cough up the cash and have BMW dealer do it for what ostensibly would be assured peace of mind? Or is Firestone gonna be fine?

disclaimer: I'm not mechanically inclined or knowledgible.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

well i've never worried about tire installation since a friend of mine works at a tire shop and i usually watch him do it...but on the other aspects why would you have firestone do your alignment? I doubt that firestone would do anything to do with the brakes when all their doing is remounting a tire. I've worked as a service person at dealerships and I can tell you that staff wise, unless in some rare cases dealerships usually have the same amount of idiots and people who care, as some place like firestone. Or do what I did, make friends with someone who works at a tireshop and buy them a beer for the mounting/balancing
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

My experience...
Discount Tire = Good.
NTB = Really Awful.

Call your local Porsche dealer and find out who they use to do their tires...Mine turned me onto a local shop (everyone that works there looks straight out of Arkansas as they all have furry beards and wear overalls with trucker caps) and they do the best work I've seen bar none.
      01-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

^ Haha yeah its tyre fitting - its not exactly a skilled trade.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
I always go and keep my eyes on what they are doing on my car, watch to see if the lift your car the right way, I had took my car before to a dealer (not BMW) and you don't want to know how they want to lift my car, they don't care if they are lifting in the right place or right on your control arms, also if you do the alignment there request the data print out and take to the BMW dealer and ask them if is the correct one, fortunately for me a bring some donuts every other day for the guys at my dealer (BMW) and they make sure that everything is at my taste and I can watch the hole process and they even call me to let me know when they will take a part off if I want to see it. make friendship with your local dealer and they will even referral to where you can get things done if you need.
Appreciate 0