ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Wheel stud options

It frustrates me to see other studs/lugs of equal or lesser quality being sold for more so I thought I would post some pics of "alternative" stud options for BMWs along with an unbiased review (IE I didn't get what I'm "pushing" for cheap)

Here's some pics of the studs they are 75mm (turner) 82mm (bimmerworld) and 90mm (turner) respectively.

Both are advertised as made from heat-treated 190,000 PSI chromoly steel, shot-peened and double magnaflux inspection. Shot peening is a process that greatly reduces metal fatiguing which translates to studs that will last longer torque after torque. Magnaflux inspecting would be best thought of as x-raying in that it allows for the part to be inspected internally without being cut up (IE not pick off the line quality control but direct part by part quality control)

Best part is a set (20each) of studs and lugs they are only $184

Both studs are good quality with the edge going to the turner studs. The turner studs have a hex key in them for installation. and the edges around that key are nicely rounded for easy lug nut installation. The Bimmwerworld studs have a very nice "bullet nose" which goes one step further to really keep there from being no chance of the lug catching or cross threading. Both are very smooth though and free from any edges and sharp angles that would catch the lug (like say a hex head would do)

The bimmerworlds bulletnose is a little longer then turners stud which is advantageous. However, the bimmerworld studs threading begins to shallow out before terminating vs the turner studs which simply terminate. The shallowing is not such a great thing because it risks bottoming the thread rather then bottoming the shank (non threaded portion)

Personally I believe I will choose the turner studs over the bimmerworld but optimally would like the turner thread quality combined with the bimmerworld bulletnose.

The hex key doesn't really effect my decision as it's very easy to install and remove wheel studs using two lug nuts.

Last edited by O-cha; 12-10-2009 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Thanks for the review.
do you have a link to turner
      12-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep