ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
Wheel Bolts Won't Tighten?

So I've always used oem wheels (and bolts) for the first 1.5 years of owning a coupe. I had the 18" summer wheels that came with the car as well as a 17" square setup for the winter (also oem).

Just recently a few months ago I purchased a set of SSR wheels (correct fitment/application for the BMW). Those wheels came with new bolts so I used those. That day, I had the wheels / tires delivered to a local shop where they mounted & balanced everything for me.

Yesterday evening, I took the SSRs off to put on my 17" oem setup. I noticed 2 things. One, the guys at the shop had tightened the bolts way too hard but whatever I got them off fine. But when I put the winter wheels on with oem bolts, I noticed that they wouldn't as tighten as easily as they normally would. It's almost like the bolts on the SSRs had de-threaded or re-threaded the hub? Eventually I was able to tighten the wheels but it just took way too many attempts. It's like everytime I thought it was tight, I was able to tighten it even more. I drove around the block to be safe, everything seemed fine... but anyone know what's going on?
      12-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

You said it would get tighter and tighter?

Most likely the wheel was not completely seated on the hub when you started to torque them down. So you encountered a lot of resistance for a longer period as the torque you were putting on it was battling both friction and the weight of the car.

Best thing to do is jack the car up take a wheel off and thread a lug, see what happens and report back.
      12-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
You said it would get tighter and tighter?

Most likely the wheel was not completely seated on the hub when you started to torque them down. So you encountered a lot of resistance for a longer period as the torque you were putting on it was battling both friction and the weight of the car.

Best thing to do is jack the car up take a wheel off and thread a lug, see what happens and report back.
Thanks O-cha

It did get tighter and tigher, but for the number of times I had to wind the bolt in, it took more rotations than it normally would to fully tighten. So assuming thats the case, the the 2 different bolts (one for SSRs and one for oems) shouldn't have been an issue correct?
      12-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Thanks O-cha

It did get tighter and tigher, but for the number of times I had to wind the bolt in, it took more rotations than it normally would to fully tighten. So assuming thats the case, the the 2 different bolts (one for SSRs and one for oems) shouldn't have been an issue correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post

12-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

The bolts that come with the SSR wheels are almost identical to the factory wheel bolts. They may be a tiny amount longer or shorter but essentially they are the same. They're just silver instead of black.. I suspect your tire monkeys screwed up the threads on your hubs by overtightening, which means you have permanent damage.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

which could result in a wheel breaking loose. This is nothing to mess with.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Which is why he needs to remove all friction from the tightening by removing the wheel and just deal with wheel bolt vs hub thread. If it threads in with minimal effort hes fine in that respect, if not....
      12-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Juice84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 2.5i Z4

You should also be able to remove a wheel and see if the blots are stripped. You definately need to take O-cha's suggestion and just jack it up and remove the wheel.
Appreciate 0