ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #23
nemex12
Captain
Rep
Drives: e60,z4

what do you mean with softer corner? i always hear that this tires have soft sides or are soft on corner or something like that but i dont know what it means. please explain...sorry if its a dumb question but i had to ask
      12-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #24
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemex12 View Post
what do you mean with softer corner? i always hear that this tires have soft sides or are soft on corner or something like that but i dont know what it means. please explain...sorry if its a dumb question but i had to ask
Tires with soft sidewalls will tend to deform and partly roll under the rim under hard cornering. As the turn is initiated the deforming sidewall acts as an additional spring in the suspension, increases body roll and generally makes the car feel "softer" in the turn. Lower aspect ratio tires and tires with harder sidewalls suppress this effect and provide crisper, more immediate response in turns, but at the expense of a harsher ride over bumps.

One feature of our stock RFTs - both good and bad - is that they have a stiff sidewall giving relatively good cornering, but a harsh ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #25
Cruiser565
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4, 2004 545i SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
Tires with soft sidewalls will tend to deform and partly roll under the rim under hard cornering. As the turn is initiated the deforming sidewall acts as an additional spring in the suspension, increases body roll and generally makes the car feel "softer" in the turn. Lower aspect ratio tires and tires with harder sidewalls suppress this effect and provide crisper, more immediate response in turns, but at the expense of a harsher ride over bumps.

One feature of our stock RFTs - both good and bad - is that they have a stiff sidewall giving relatively good cornering, but a harsh ride.
I could not have said it better myself, that much is certain... This is exactly what I feel with the Hankooks. I took it out for another 20 miles or so this morning and they felt even better, it truly feels like a BMW now.

Will
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #26
nemex12
Captain
Rep
Drives: e60,z4

thx guys i cant track the car because according to my dealer it would void my warranty so i guess hankook tires are the right choice. your help is much apprecciated