ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #45
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
The warranty and free maintenance services for my 2007 Z4MC is expired in a week. The odometer is at 24,918 and Service indicator is 8,475. I don't know how the Service interval gets calculated but it seems vary quite a bit. I put about 7k miles since is bought the car with a lifetime MPG of 21.8. Not sure if the computer was accidentally reset since the battery was replaced around 18.5K miles. Is there anyway to find out?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #46
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekla View Post
Once you get a copy, can you share the valve adjustment report with us?
How many miles are on your ODO?

Thanks and good luck!
I have about 24k on the odometer but it was due around 22k. I have been trying to get this done for awhile. I think my average is ~17 mpg (all back roads).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
The warranty and free maintenance services for my 2007 Z4MC is expired in a week. The odometer is at 24,918 and Service indicator is 8,475. I don't know how the Service interval gets calculated but it seems vary quite a bit. I put about 7k miles since is bought the car with a lifetime MPG of 21.8. Not sure if the computer was accidentally reset since the battery was replaced around 18.5K miles. Is there anyway to find out?
~33k for the first inspection seems like a lot of miles. I had my battery replaced about a month ago and I don't think it messed w/ the oil change computer, but then again, they reprogrammed all my settings back into the car. Probably worth a shot, b/c its not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #47
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Was the car purchased used from and serviced at BMW? If so; accidentally and/or intentionally reset... 27,000 miles is about the MAX I've seen when Inspection 1 counts down - 31,000 would be the MAX in ideal fuel mileage conditions.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #48
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Was the car purchased used from and serviced at BMW? If so; accidentally and/or intentionally reset... 27,000 miles is about the MAX I've seen when Inspection 1 counts down - 31,000 would be the MAX in ideal fuel mileage conditions.
Yes, the car was purchased from a reputable BMW dealer(where it was originally purchased and had all the services done all at the recommended interval). The one odd entry I saw on the service record was the battery replaced at 18,950 for permanant failure. Which kinda lead me to believe it was some reset. How do I go about convince the dealer to get Inspection done (or how do they know for sure)?
Thanks in advance for all the feedbacks and to the OP I don't mean to threadjack.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #49
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the car was purchased from a reputable BMW dealer(where it was originally purchased and had all the services done all at the recommended interval). The one odd entry I saw on the service record was the battery replaced at 18,950 for permanant failure. Which kinda lead me to believe it was some reset. How do I go about convince the dealer to get Inspection done (or how do they know for sure)?
Thanks in advance for all the feedbacks and to the OP I don't mean to threadjack.
I would discuss with the Dealer... Have them check service records on S54 Inspection 1 mileage. Somewhere along the way the SI was reset - same happened to me, however, I know the when and where.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #50
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
I would discuss with the Dealer... Have them check service records on S54 Inspection 1 mileage. Somewhere along the way the SI was reset - same happened to me, however, I know the when and where.
Thanks Caddyshk. I will try and hopefully they will do something for me. This is my first BMW so i don't have any connection with the local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #51
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

inspection.pdf
Dropped my MC off yesterday morning at 9 and got it back around 2PM today. Here is a cut up copy of the receipt they gave me.

qty? - part num - description
1- 11427833769 - oil filter
6 - 07510009420 - oil
1 - 11127832034 - cylinder head cover
6 - 11127831271 - (other) cylinder head cover?
1 - 11347832282 - Valve Timing Gear - Cam Shaft/adjusting plate
3 - 11347832282 - Valve Timing Gear - Cam Shaft/adjusting plate
2 - 11347832283 - Valve Timing Gear - Cam Shaft/adjusting plate
6 - 11347832284 - Valve Timing Gear - Cam Shaft/adjusting plate

I'm guessing they did the valve adjustment? Instead of a copy of the paper with each valve reading on it they gave me a copy of the checklist (emailed to me). The car felt like it ran a lot smoother, but maybe that's just from driving the Sebring for a day?

When I got in my car I noticed the wires that go to the shift knob were cut and also hanging out of the boot. When I bought the car the shifter came off pretty easily and the wires would come out so I thought this was normal, but they looked like someone clipped them with wirecutters. Service rep said everyone there denied cutting it but regardless it was under warranty so a brand new knob is on it's way. I was pretty happy with this new rep as he seemed to know a little more than the other guy, plus Im getting a shift knob that won't fall off. Does everything look kosher to you guys?

ps, dont' know if it's part of the inspection, but they also flushed my brake lines.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #52
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't know why your shift knob would be touched, but those parts are related to an adjustment needed. The car must have cooled quickly, I believe the TIS specified < 35 degrees C for the coolant before the valves may be checked.
      07-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #53
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I don't know why your shift knob would be touched, but those parts are related to an adjustment needed. The car must have cooled quickly, I believe the TIS specified < 35 degrees C for the coolant before the valves may be checked.
? They had it a day and a half, i guess they did it this morning.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #54
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

Phishman...

Would you mind sharing how much they charged for the valve job - parts and labor? Thanks!
      07-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #55
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
My car is at the dealer right now, 2 weeks before my 4/48 expires. I'm having a cowling under the windshield replaced (it's cracked and warping), my 2-yr brake fluid flush done, and the goo bottle for the mobility kit replaced.

When I had Inspection I done 2 years ago this month, I always suspected that the valve adjustment hadn't been done, or hadn't been done right. I dropped the car off at 8am. It was ready at noon. My receipt shows the proper oil & filter and a a couple of gaskets, but NO sign of the valves being done. The only descriptive text is "PERFORMED INSPECTION I PER CHECKLIST B54". So today when I dropped the car off I asked my SA (new as of my last visit) to look into this, explaining that 4 hours from drop off to completion isn't possibly enough time to do the valve adjustment, considering that the engine needs to cool, and the work itself (not to mention the rest of the stuff that goes with Insp I) can't possibly be compressed into that time frame.

He called me back at noon to say they were keeping the car overnight, as both the cowling and goo had to be ordered and will be in tomorrow. No problem, I have a nice '10 328i as a loaner. As for the valve adjustment, he spoke to the "shop foreman", who assures him it was done. He tried to leave it at that, so I asked what about the time frame issues? He said they have a big fan that they point at the motor with the hood up, and get them cool in about 2 hours, have "always done it that way, never had a problem". What a load of BS! Even if that were true - that only would leave 2 hours to do ALL the Insp I work, including valves - NOT POSSIBLE.

Does anybody have an SIB or other documentation of the time they are supposed to allow an engine to cool, or other supporting documents I can shove in their snouts? I'm extremely irritated. Don't even get me started about the 3-4 times they've overfilled my oil, or the 2 consecutive visits where I got the car back with 40 psi in all the tires, and was told "they do that to all of them" when I complained about it. That's Jiffy Lube BS, not what we should expect from one of the largest BMW centers in the USA. Sheesh.
      07-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #56
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

Does anybody have an SIB or other documentation of the time they are supposed to allow an engine to cool, or other supporting documents I can shove in their snouts? I'm extremely irritated. Don't even get me started about the 3-4 times they've overfilled my oil, or the 2 consecutive visits where I got the car back with 40 psi in all the tires, and was told "they do that to all of them" when I complained about it. That's Jiffy Lube BS, not what we should expect from one of the largest BMW centers in the USA. Sheesh.
It is in the TIS. I can get a jpeg up tomorrow if you need one, but valve lash is usually checked when cool.
      07-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #57
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishman View Post
? They had it a day and a half, i guess they did it this morning.
Yeah, man, sorry, got your car confused with someone else who suspected the service time was too short.
      07-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #58
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
^^^ 8 hours is a SERIOUSLY long time ...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=27

Eight flat rate units equals one hour.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 07-28-2011 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #59
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would you mind sharing how much they charged for the valve job - parts and labor? Thanks!
$0 - covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #60
Rekla
United_States
Rep

I think you mean "Maintenance"?

So let me think this over... My car is a CPO till 8/31/2013. Currently my dealer offers their BMW extended maintenance (6yrs/100k) for $2500 on top of the CPO. Would this valve check be included under the extended maintenance program - once I hit the due mileage? I know the brakes (pads and rotors) are. So this may be worth to pay for, as long as I am guaranteed to recieve both the valve job and brake job within the extended maintenance period. Anyone knows?
      07-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #61
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So let me think this over... My car is a CPO till 8/31/2013. Currently my dealer offers their BMW extended maintenance (6yrs/100k) for $2500 on top of the CPO. Would this valve check be included under the extended maintenance program - once I hit the due mileage? I know the brakes (pads and rotors) are. So this may be worth to pay for, as long as I am guaranteed to recieve both the valve job and brake job within the extended maintenance period. Anyone knows?
How many miles are on your car? You don't think you'll hit ~25k in the next two years?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #62
Rekla
United_States
Rep

Yes I will hit 25k easily within the next 2 years. Is the valve job included in the extended BMW maintenance plan?
      07-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #63
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I will hit 25k easily within the next 2 years. Is the valve job included in the extended BMW maintenance plan?
I would recommend asking your dealership just to be sure, but I have seen some members on here claim it is covered and is worth the cost because of how much the inspections are.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #64
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:

Jason @ Laurel BMW offered me $2095 for the extended maintenance. Out of state so no tax.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #65
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Supposed to be all scheduled maintenance...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #66
Rekla
United_States
Rep

I checked with my dealer:
Inspection I (which includes the valve job) is part of the scheduled maintenance (in my case ~9200 miles to go (according my ODO - so at 25k miles)) and if I purchase the extended maintenance plan ($2495, tax included, not maked up (per SA statement) and no discount), it will be at no charge. If I have the dealership do it outside the maintenance plan, it's close to $1500 for inspection I (-/- 10% for being a CCA member). The valve job takes 4 hours. My brakes are no-where near showing signs of brake-pad wear, lots of meat left (I checked it with my SA, he took a flash light and showed me the brake-pad side walls). I doubt I need a brake job within 10k miles, currently I have 16k miles and tons of life left (and original tires with pleanty of threat).
So is it worth to purchase the extended maintenance assuming I will need Inspection I, 2 oil changes, 1 brake fluid flush, 1 cabin filter and 1 set of wiper blades in the next 2 years?

On a side note: is the statement that the rotors last 2 sets of brake pads correct? Or do they both need changing at the same time?