ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #23
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

way to look out for the zed community guys and gals
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #24
mcoupe5/6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M Coupe

Got 1 more email, abt wanting a quick sale... Blah blah blah
with more photos and a vin #
5umdu934x7lm08177
If anyone is interested in looking into the cars history.
Also noticed in the photos that the license place was a Washington plate AIN2621

But I do agree, another reason this community rocks, looking out for each other.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 12:23 AM   #25
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Way to go guys! Nice detective work!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 12:35 AM   #26
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-BMW-Z4-...p2047675.l2557

Maybe this was the original sale and photos hijacked
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #27
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I was selling a TVR on line years ago and was contacted by a buyer in Greece who was to send a check for the price of the car and shipping costs that I was to send to a shipping firm.
The shipping costs were to be forward by me to the shipping firm by a particular date to meet shipping schedule and of course the check would not be cleared by that time.
I went along with the scam and received a check in the mail for the agreed amount plus a bit for me "for my trouble"
I passéd the check onto the bank reporting fraud of course.
Hey if they want to play games make them pay however small the amount.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #28
aolling
Rep
Drives: 2000 bmw z3

Yep, when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I mean come on....a Z4M coupe with 18,000 miles for $16,300. That has scam written all over it. Should have been a $32,000 and up asking price IMO.

Regardless, glad to see the ad is gone.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #29
aolling
Rep

Cyclops, the photo of the car in front of the garage doors is definitely the same photo they highjacked and used in the cars.com ad. Good find. I'm very glad the ad is gone before someone gets taken for a ride the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #30
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

I knew you guys would get to the bottom of that.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #31
jrainlay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
A few years ago, I tried to sell a BMW 5 Series on eBay. I was pleasantly surprised to find someone closed the auction by agreeing to pay my buy it now price. Sent them an email asking for my $500 good faith payment. They responded and said they were an oceanographer and currently at sea, but they would send the payment by PayPal. I said i needed a cashiers check because I didn't want to pay the PayPal transaction fee. They responded and said they would send me the payment plus the transaction fee amount. They also said that they wanted to send me the entire sale price plus transaction fee by PayPal. And oh, by the way, they would also send me the auto transporter charge plus fee via PayPal and would I please pay the auto transporter their $5000 advance fee on their behalf by sending a money order to the auto transporter. By this time I was certain this was a scam so I contacted eBay direct. A supervisor called me and said this was "the famous oceanographer scam." He explained that the scammer wasn't interested in the car at all. Instead, if I had agreed to the proposed transaction, the scammer would have sent me a phony email that would appear to be from PayPal advising me that the funds had been received into my PayPal account. The scammer would be hoping that I would be stupid enough not to verify the funds and even more stupid to send the $5000 to the phony car transporter. To their credit, eBay immediately cancelled the transaction and refunded all my eBay fees. Moral of the story: Don't ever agree to sell anything over the Internet to an oceanographer!!! One final note, this is the only fraud problem I have had with eBay. I have bought and sold other vehicles on eBay (including the Z4MC you see below) with no problem whatsoever.

Last edited by jrainlay; 11-01-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #32
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

Beware of the typical scam out there. Craigslist, eBay, wherever... They make up some story, ask you to hold the item for them, send you a check for way over the amount its worth, and ask to have the rest of the money sent back to them plus a little for you for your troubles. Checks will clear almost immediately and then your bank finds out that it's a bad check 3-5 days later and your SOL if you already sent the $$. Be cautious of the scumbags out there when buying/ selling online.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #33
aolling
Rep

Yes, I am sure I have found another one already. Z4M coupe for $18,000 with only 21,000 miles? Yeah, right. Probably has no motor in it!! I am beginning to find a scam a week! It seems like these website would screen these seemingly outrageous "deals".
Appreciate 0