ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw z4 coupe 3.0si

white bulb(s) for rear turn signals/tail-lights..

I have already made the side indicators as well as the front turn signals bright white and got rid of the yellow...Is their anyway to change out the tail-light(s) turn signals to white instead of yellow? I bought the same size bulb and it would not work for some reason. Can anyone recommend me a hyper white/white bulb that will work for the rear turn signals?
Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
BaldTyres
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M Roadster

I would make sure you check your state laws concerning white turn indicators. In a lot of states the turn signals have to be amber.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
ruscoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldTyres View Post
I would make sure you check your state laws concerning white turn indicators. In a lot of states the turn signals have to be amber.
If I'm understanding correctly what the OP is saying, then yea same applies here in Tejas. If the turn signal lense is clear, you must use an amber bulb. If the lenses are red/amber, you must use a clear bulb. And those bluish hue bulbs are purportedly illegal under any circumstances although I see the occasional mod queen with 'em. I suspect that at the very least they'll have troubles passing inspection.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, they are fine. I just want to know what kind of bulbs would work for the rear turn signals. I tried to install a pair and it didn't blink, it just stayed lit up. Does anyone have any idea where I can find a pair of hyper white bulbs for the rear tail-lights?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm assuming no one has done this yet? I hate amber bulbs!!! Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
BaldTyres
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Thurm View Post
I'm assuming no one has done this yet? I hate amber bulbs!!! Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks.
Probably not, since they're illegal according to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. Of course, that's just the US. Not sure of other countries.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, let's say it's legal...where would I find a set of hyper white/white bulbs?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

You should be able to get them on Ebay. Just need the bulb type. The ones I have are OEM and silver frosted so you can't tell they are amber until they flash. They are like Solaris bulbs with silver paint on the top part of the bulb. I believe you can order the Solaris bulb in hyperwhite, or amber although both are silver when not illuminated. I would check with Bimmian.

http://www.bimmian.com/Z4/SOL/
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't want them to blink amber either. Do the hyper white just blink white as well? Thank you for the link! I'll check em out now..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Thurm View Post
I don't want them to blink amber either. Do the hyper white just blink white as well? Thank you for the link! I'll check em out now..
I believe what you want is super white. I am sure Bimmian will be glad to guide you to what you want. I can't believe a cop would actually stop you for having white turn signal bulbs either. Many cars have red turn signal lights in back so amber obviously isn't the only color allowed.

This entry from wikipedia is interesting none the less:

Until the early 1960s, most front turn signals worldwide emitted white light and most rear turn signals emitted red. Amber front turn signals were voluntarily adopted by the auto industry in the USA for most vehicles beginning in the 1963 model year, though front turn signals were still legally permitted to emit white light until FMVSS 108 took effect for the 1968 model year, whereupon amber became the only permissible front turn signal colour. Presently, almost all countries outside North America require that all front, side and rear turn signals produce amber light. In North America the rear signals may be amber or red. American regulators and other proponents of red rear turn signals have historically asserted there is no proven safety benefit to amber signals, though it has been recognised since the 1960s that amber turn signals are more quickly spotted than red ones. International proponents of amber rear signals say they are more easily discernible as turn signals, and U.S. studies in the early 1990s demonstrated improvements in the speed and accuracy of following drivers' reaction to stop lamps when the turn signals were amber rather than red. A 2008 U.S. study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggests vehicles with amber rear signals rather than red ones are up to 28% less likely to be involved in certain kinds of collisions, and a 2009 NHTSA study determined there is a significant overall safety benefit to amber rather than red rear turn signals.

There is some evidence that turn signals with colourless clear lenses and amber bulbs may be less conspicuous in bright sunlight than those with amber lenses and colourless bulbs

Last edited by chickdr; 01-13-2012 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
ruscoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Tickets and raising the potential risk of an accident aside, the third issue here is state inspection. The car won't pass unless turn signal lighting is as it's supposed to be, and here they do in fact check. Of course, this is Texas specific. Your state may vary. Easiest way to know is to just contact an inspection shop if state inspections are required at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This is one good thing about GA. The only thing we have to do is get the emissions tested. No inspection.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Amber is a european standard and is required, just designed a tail light for south america and europe reg and it requires Amber.

in the USA you can get away with red, you dont need amber hence why you see the euro smart car has amber turns, same with the euro spec A6 and among others.

us spec cars tend to have just red, now their are always exceptions amoung other things.

it is illigal to use white or any color like blue green or purple, you get the idea.

white will not get as noticed as the other colors but cops see it as a busted tail light and the clear is showing through, again just a possability but the cop will have to be board or just plain mean to stop you just for that.

ive replaced the amber signal lights in my mini with the chrome ones and they show up amber but look clear otherwise.

its your car play with it as you will.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
BaldTyres
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
its your car play with it as you will.
That's true. I'm all for people making their car how they want, even if it might just be for "off-road" use.

However, I would have to have "words" with somebody if I was behind them at night at a light, and they were flashing one of those hyper-white bulbs in my face, basically like having a headlight blaring at you straight-on from just a few feet away. I would not be happy. And if I got in a wreck, I'd sue the hell out of em.
Appreciate 0