ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #1
mainsoda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M coupe

Key Question

When I purchased my 2006 Z4M Coupe it came with only one working key. It was acting a little wonky and wouldn't always work the first few clicks, but it did generally work.

So I went to the dealership and bought a new one. After the BMW tech programmed the new key it worked perfectly.

However, now my old key doesn't work at all.

Could he have unprogrammed it somehow? Is there a way I can I bring it back?

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Sounds like a discharged/low key fob battery. Try using the key in the ignition for a few hours driving. If it doesn't work the battery might need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
bobhnc
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

You need to program both keys at the same time. The dealer "unprogrammed" your old key by programming the new one. These instructions are from another forum and this should work. Important not to start at step one for the second key; start at step 5 for the second key.

Definitions: button 1 on the keys is the one closest to the metal part of the key (this is the door open button); button 2 is the middle button (the door close button).

1. Open the car doors using the remote function of your working key.

2. Get in and close (don't lock) all the doors.

3. Put the key in the ignition and switch momentarally to position 1 which is the first position when you turn the key clockwise. This is the accessory position. Don't stay in position 1 longer than 5 seconds; then turn the key back to the off position.

4. Remove the key.

5. On the key transmitter, press and hold button 2. Press and release button 1 three times within 10 seconds while still pressing button 2.

6. release button 2.

7. The system indicates re-programming by locking and immediately unlocking the door locks.

8. If you want to do more remotes, you must do each within 30 seconds of step 7 for the preceeding key. You just need to repeat steps 5 through 7 for each key after the first.

You can knock off a dozen keys if you want in a few minutes.
Appreciate 5
inTgr8r2425.50
Vanne1620.50
mainsoda171.50
StickMon636.00
David701567.00
      07-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
mainsoda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M coupe

Right on, this is exactly what happened. Thanks for the information.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Oh those knowledgeable dealerships, bless them all.

Key question: How does that plastic "emergency" key that we have work? Does it have an immobilizer chip in it, or is there no immobilizer on Z4s?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 05:38 AM   #6
acer54
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhnc View Post
You need to program both keys at the same time. The dealer "unprogrammed" your old key by programming the new one. These instructions are from another forum and this should work. Important not to start at step one for the second key; start at step 5 for the second key.

Definitions: button 1 on the keys is the one closest to the metal part of the key (this is the door open button); button 2 is the middle button (the door close button).

1. Open the car doors using the remote function of your working key.

2. Get in and close (don't lock) all the doors.

3. Put the key in the ignition and switch momentarally to position 1 which is the first position when you turn the key clockwise. This is the accessory position. Don't stay in position 1 longer than 5 seconds; then turn the key back to the off position.

4. Remove the key.

5. On the key transmitter, press and hold button 2. Press and release button 1 three times within 10 seconds while still pressing button 2.

6. release button 2.

7. The system indicates re-programming by locking and immediately unlocking the door locks.

8. If you want to do more remotes, you must do each within 30 seconds of step 7 for the preceeding key. You just need to repeat steps 5 through 7 for each key after the first.

You can knock off a dozen keys if you want in a few minutes.
Can confirm this worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #7
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Oh those knowledgeable dealerships, bless them all.

Key question: How does that plastic "emergency" key that we have work? Does it have an immobilizer chip in it, or is there no immobilizer on Z4s?
I don't have one but it's probably to just unlock the door. The Z4 definitely has an immobilizer.
Appreciate 0