ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
New Tools

In preparations for some upcoming maintenance in the fall, I have acquired some new tools.

RTAB extractor/insertion tool ($50.00 on ebay):

S54 Camshaft timing tool:

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
this was a life saver although its a tight squeeze b/c the tool is still so clunky. i think 2nd time around i may just go with powerflex bushings just so i dont have to deal with bushing removal/installation. for what it's worth though, i bought the vorshlag rtab limiters to be used with the stock bushings. stiffness of poly w/o the harshness...

btw on another note, i'll be down at summit end of month with nj cca. ship you going to be there?
      07-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
bluecobra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe

I had the same RTAB tool and used it on my E46 cars as well as my MCoupe. It works well, but is kinda clunky.

I killed mine on the MCoupe as the prior owner had put the Dinan Monoball RTABs on it and they were a real PITA to get out. Compared to the Monoball bushings the Powerflex are absolutely spongy.

At least the car doesn't rattle like it used to on less than perfect roads. Those things are only for track use. I have no idea why the prior owner put them on the car.....
Appreciate 0