ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
prodigal_m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Estoril Blue/Black F31

I stopped by VS motorsports this morning (great shop by the way...very knowledgeable and took the time to answer all the questions I had in detail) to have the Evolve tune downloaded on my 08 Z4M Coupe. I had planned to have a before and after dyno; however, due to my schedule and lack of patience it did not come to fruition. So please take my impressions with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, the hand held programmer is not available for our cars at this time (it is available for the E46/E90/etc...) so my stock map had to be downloaded and e-mailed to Evolve Automotive in England so that a map for my specific needs could be made (93 octane, 8,200 rev limit, top speed limiter removed, RPI cans, drop in filter, etc...) The entire process took about an hour and a half and was well worth it!

My first impressions... I went in to this really wanting a more linear/smoother power band (similar to how my S54 MZ3 felt when sharked) and I received that in spades. The power delivery is much smoother, stronger and feels absolutely fantastic north of 7,500RPM's. I can finally use my sport button now as the throttle response feels more positive and mechanical (a very good thing!)

Obviously my ECU still needs to fully adapt and the battery has been disconnected as I type this... I am extremely pleased with my decision to purchase the Evolve tune and I have little doubt that it's only going to get better after my ECU and throttle reset. Honestly, after driving around a bit more tonight it makes me wonder why the M coupe didn’t come like this from the factory... it feels that good...Just wow!
All in all, so far it has exceeded my expectations and now I can't wait to install some headers

I will update later as I put a few more miles on the tune.

Last edited by prodigal_m; 07-29-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Dan thanks for the great review! It was nice to meet you and glad your enjoying your new tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
nice review im hoping to get tuned soon as well
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great review! I love the Evolve Stage One Tune on my E46 M3 as well! I'm pretty stoked to have VS Motorsports install my Evolve CF Airbox at the end of the month!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
prodigal_m
United_States
Rep

*Update*

I have now put a little over 200 miles on my car since the Evolve Tune and ECU/Throttle reset...Oh My Goodness! I am totally sold on this tune. I was becoming bored and annoyed with the on/off stock throttle response and the sharp drop off in power north of 7k. Not to mention the flat spots I felt throughout the rev band.

I have had several S54 powered cars in the past and each one has had some sort of tune (AA, ESS, Shark and Dinan.) Out of the all the previous tunes, the Shark was my favorite as it seemed to make my right foot directly connected to the engine. This is exactly what the Evolve tune feels like...I simply cannot express how smooth the power delivery is. The idle is rock solid, throttle response is absolutely perfect, no stumbles, no issues and no downside. Just more useable power (I like my throttle to be linear...just like my springs.)

Honestly, I can't imagine anyone being even remotely disappointed with this tune. Juest spend the $600 bucks and your car will be awesome down low, in the middle and all the way to 8,200RPM.

How's that for an endorsement!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
boydgti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4m

Any power increase, numbers?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
prodigal_m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydgti View Post
Any power increase, numbers?
The power increase claimed for a stock MZ4 is between 25-30hp and up to 40lb ft of torque...which are pretty incredible #'s for a NA tune.

I have not had my car on the dyno as of yet and I probably need to have my butt dyno recalibrated; however, the HP/TQ difference is undeniable.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Why did you decide to do the headers AFTER your tune? Any particular reason?
      08-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal_m View Post
*Update*

I have now put a little over 200 miles on my car since the Evolve Tune and ECU/Throttle reset...Oh My Goodness! I am totally sold on this tune. I was becoming bored and annoyed with the on/off stock throttle response and the sharp drop off in power north of 7k. Not to mention the flat spots I felt throughout the rev band.

I have had several S54 powered cars in the past and each one has had some sort of tune (AA, ESS, Shark and Dinan.) Out of the all the previous tunes, the Shark was my favorite as it seemed to make my right foot directly connected to the engine. This is exactly what the Evolve tune feels like...I simply cannot express how smooth the power delivery is. The idle is rock solid, throttle response is absolutely perfect, no stumbles, no issues and no downside. Just more useable power (I like my throttle to be linear...just like my springs.)

Honestly, I can't imagine anyone being even remotely disappointed with this tune. Juest spend the $600 bucks and your car will be awesome down low, in the middle and all the way to 8,200RPM.

How's that for an endorsement!
Awesome Great to Hear!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Good meeting you today Dan. Glad you're still enjoying the tune, I'll be getting it in one form or another
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #11
costa316
Private
Rep
Drives: z4m

Quote:
The power increase claimed for a stock MZ4 is between 25-30hp and up to 40lb ft of torque...which are pretty incredible #'s for a NA tune.

I have not had my car on the dyno as of yet and I probably need to have my butt dyno recalibrated; however, the HP/TQ difference is undeniable.
Are these power increases on a stock car with no mods?
Any reliability issues, and would this void warranty?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It would definitely void the engine/drivetrain/ecu warranty if the dealer discovered it was there.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Also fyi....insurance companies like to drop full coverage if they even get a whiff of mods in a car....:-) kepp it on the DL....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
Also fyi....insurance companies like to drop full coverage if they even get a whiff of mods in a car....:-) kepp it on the DL....
my insurance actually paid me for my mods in my Evo
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
You must have a crappy insurance company. As long as you keep the receipts, I've never had a problem when I've had to file a claim.

EDIT: Have filed a claim with Geico, Allstate, and Hagerty.
      09-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #16
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

no problems with mods with Alstate, but we're getting offtopic.

good to see that Evolution tunes, but its too bad they're in Europe. I'm looking for a local alpha-n tuner
      09-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Rpi mufflers prompted them.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #18
prodigal_m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Good meeting you today Dan. Glad you're still enjoying the tune, I'll be getting it in one form or another
It was nice meeting you as well...Your exhaust sounds/looks fantastic and I'm immensely jealous of your wheels and suspension! By the way, I work in Highland Park so I would love to try out your driver’s seat sometime if you don’t mind.

Back on topic...I have now had a few track days on the Evolve tune and the top end response and raised rev limiter is much appreciated. Oh, and because I can actually utilize my sport button...the rev matching with the RPI's is unbelievably awesome. So far the tune has exceeded my expectations!

I will be getting some dyno pulls next weekend even if I don’t have the time to install my headers. It would have been nice to have had a baseline dyno sheet but laziness got the best of me and there is enough baseline (stock) data out there so I think I’ll have a pretty good idea what gains (if any) I’m actually getting.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
It would definitely void the engine/drivetrain/ecu warranty if the dealer discovered it was there.
Maps on the MSS70 DME aren't uniquely named, they look like stock maps so it's nearly impossible for any dealer to discover the stock map has been replaced. He should be ok.
      09-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
We should have a local S54B32-Evolve Tuned meet...haha

I'm glad you're enjoying the tune!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It was nice meeting you as well...Your exhaust sounds/looks fantastic and I'm immensely jealous of your wheels and suspension! By the way, I work in Highland Park so I would love to try out your driver’s seat sometime if you don’t mind.
No problem, Highland Park is just due East of me. I'll PM you my info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Maps on the MSS70 DME aren't uniquely named, they look like stock maps so it's nearly impossible for any dealer to discover the stock map has been replaced. He should be ok.
Right, it's certainly a big "if", but it's SOP for dealers to void warranties over piggyback ECUs and flashes.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Thus the greater flexibility and safety of a handheld unit (for those still under warranty). Even if the Evolve/AA etc tune isn't detected, is there a chance that it'll brick the system when your car's at the dealer for a service and they're hooked up?
Appreciate 0