ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
1st_Knight
'Entwicklung 85 - Zukunft4'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 SMG DINAN S1

My Dinan Ram Air & Intake Installation

First, I removed and examined all of the parts included with the kit. Here is a picture of the main part, the Ram Air Duct, and so that some of you can see the comparable size of this part, I placed it next to my cell phone….

If I may say so, the construction of this particular piece is of excellent quality, and its fitment is a comparable to OEM. The Air Duct is much larger than what I expected.

The first task was the removal of the bumper cover, which is, and as you all know, not a big deal. After the bumper was successfully removed, Followed the mounting of the Air Duct, which was a piece of cake.

The fitment was exceptional. However, I had slightly deviated from the instructions. I did not secure the edge of the Ram Air Duct to the center brace that was provided by Dinan. I decided to place Heavy Duty All–Weather double-sided 3M tape on the top part of the Duct and secured it to the underside of the front engine bay frame, and to fasten it even more, I inserted a metal clip.

The second part of the installation that I had revised was the method to which the Dinan center brace was installed to the existing metal bumper carrier. Dinan provided an aluminum nut insert and bolt, and the instructions were to drill a hole on the inside of the bumper carrier to fasten the nut insert, then bolt on the brace. I decided to alter this procedure, because I never have liked nut inserts. LOL …Anyways, I drilled through the “entire” bumper carrier, front & back with a ½” drill bit. Then I mounted the Dinan brace onto the back of the bumper carrier with a high grade steel bolt and washer nut, and used the drilled hole in the front to hold the bolt in place while tightening the brace.

Once the Ram Air Duct was in place, I cleaned and dusted everything off (hate them latex gloves)…reattached the bumper, and the installation was complete….

The other thing that I admire about this entire kit is that you can't really visually notice it at all, unless you look up close into the grill, and there it is…

After the install, I took the car for a drive. I can honestly say that I can feel the difference in torque from stock performance. In addition, there is a deeper growl as the vehicle is at WOT. Once again, I was not in pursuit of the monstrous HP gains, and hey, I only have a 2.5i, SMG. I just wanted a reliable and well-engineered and built CARB Exempt Intake System that suited my personal preferences….

If it is of any consolation, for anyone planning to purchase a CAI System for their Z4 and especially for those who live in California? Just to let you know, I briefly researched the Dinan Ram Air Duct, and I have to admit that this part was well engineered both in design and function. Also, and with regards to setup, the installed location of this duct for capturing the maximum amount of airflow was ideal. Not to mention that it contains a large cross sectional area for the containment of a greater volume of air mass over stock.

As an engineer, the Dinan design did also attract my curiosity in that I was able to discover a few articles from various Automotive Engineering Journals and Technical Publications regarding the design of this very specific Z4 Air Duct. I was again very impressed with the comprehensive analysis that was applied and accumulated into the final design. I also found it quite interesting in reviewing the various computer models that illustrated various scenarios of the seperation of air and water by 90% within the Air Duct. Once again, the final design solution was very ingenious at best.

The bottom line is, I know some may say that these parts may be excessively expensive, but one can be assured that much research and development, engineering and manufacturing has gone into there products, and they do work, regardless.

Now for the High Flow Intake Installation...

Once I had picked up the part form the Dealer, again I inspected all of the primary parts of the intake, and I have to admit, the build quality of this product is also quite impressive as the Ram Air Duct. In addition, the included Dinan instructions were both clear and concise.

The overall installation went quite well...

All in all, the Dinan Company had noted that it would take at least a ½ hour for the entire installation, and I know a lot of you here can do this with your eyes closed. However, as for me, I wanted to take my sweet-#$% time. So, after 3 enjoyable hours, I was finished.

While looking into the engine bay, I oooohh’ed and aaahhh’ed with joy. :rofl: The DHFCAI, truly looks OEM + more…

Here are some pics (sorry they are not clear & hi-res)…

This weekend is the installation of my Dinan Free-Flow Exhaust System...

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

congrats! had all the same on my 3.0, loved it... enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
congrats! had all the same on my 3.0, loved it... enjoy.
Thanks!!! I am also enjoying this setup as well....
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

btw, how do you like your DFF exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Knight View Post
btw, how do you like your DFF exhaust?
i loved it.... my only complaint was cabin drone was a bit more than i liked. but that might have also had something to do with the silly 'sound generator' after i installed the ram air set up.

i traded my 3.0 in at christmas... bought an Z4 M... just put on the REMUS set-up... i'm thrilled with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
i loved it.... my only complaint was cabin drone was a bit more than i liked. but that might have also had something to do with the silly 'sound generator' after i installed the ram air set up.

i traded my 3.0 in at christmas... bought an Z4 M... just put on the REMUS set-up... i'm thrilled with it.
Great news about your trade...that was an ultimate upgrade!!!

Last edited by 1st_Knight; 03-06-2008 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Any increase in intake noise from either piece of this setup?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
NICE!!! I am curious, does the stock filter media fit in the air box? I want Dinan to develope one for the ///M...
      03-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Z4coupe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 coupe

Does it fit the SI

Wondering if this will fit the Si coupes. Looks like a factory install and the Scoop looks huge. How is the top end compared to factory? Very noticable difference?Do you have the software yet? Take care
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

I have the exact same setup.
ENJOY!
      03-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
BBP2345
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

How much is each of the parts from the Dinan setup setting you back?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

Anybody know a place with a good price on the Dinan scoop?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #13
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Wow...Dinan has a lot of potential there....If I were you I'd cut out the rest of the large pipe facing the incoming air right up to where it meets the small pipe...more air = better, right?

Does the inside gradually converge to the small area pipe? This would be good for compression, but if the large area pipe just ends and theres a hole in it for the small pipe, you're going to get get stagnation, which isn't very efficient...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #14
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Anybody know a place with a good price on the Dinan scoop?
The list price for the Dinan Air Duct only...if bought within California is $349.00 + Ca tax $27.05 = $376.05.

I was able to locate an authorized Dinan Dealer in the east coast, Thompson BMW in Doylestown, PA.

I bought it for $230.00. However, I wanted quick delivery and paid an additional $25.00, so my final total was $255.00...My savings was $121.05....

Last edited by 1st_Knight; 03-07-2008 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #15
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Forgot...the Dinan Part No. D760-0022
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #16
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBP2345 View Post
How much is each of the parts from the Dinan setup setting you back?

$255....see my earlier post regarding the prices...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #17
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I got my Dinan intake from Thompson as well. Awesome price $245 shipped to Canada from eBay.

Out of curiosity, Knight, did you have a rivet gun handy to modify the air duct at the bottom of the intake? I don't and am wondering if there's an alternative install method for the airbox. I was planning on putting it in last night but looking through the instructions... I don't have a rivet gun!
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #18
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

pbdm4k, this isn't a direct answer to your question, but perfectly decent hand rivet guns can be had at your local hardware store in the $15 range. No need to get one of those multi-hundred dollar ones when you're just doing a few hand rivets. It has served me well, even though I've only used mine like twice!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #19
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

Dinan question..

Now that you've installed most of the goodies, are you going to get the software update? You should be close to meeting the requirements for the DINAN certification... I priced out the cost of the S Package verses buying each part one at at time and the cost is about the same... I've been considering the S Package also, but can't seem to make up my mind... I have a 2.5 also and don't know if the return is worth the effort... I'd be enterested in getting your opinion when you're done... I sure looks good though... Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #20
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck I View Post
Now that you've installed most of the goodies, are you going to get the software update? You should be close to meeting the requirements for the DINAN certification... I priced out the cost of the S Package verses buying each part one at at time and the cost is about the same... I've been considering the S Package also, but can't seem to make up my mind... I have a 2.5 also and don't know if the return is worth the effort... I'd be enterested in getting your opinion when you're done... I sure looks good though... Chuck I

LOL...During my lunch, I just finished a telephone conversation with both the Dealership & Dinan Engineering. As of today, I had qualified for the badge...Yahoo!

In addition, next week and after I have the Stage 2 Engine Performance Software installed, the BMW Dealership Dinan representative had mentioned to me that he will be able to start the paperwork for my Dinan "S" Package certification.

I am sincerely looking forward to receiving my Dinan plaque with the issued serial number....

Last edited by 1st_Knight; 03-12-2008 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
I got my Dinan intake from Thompson as well. Awesome price $245 shipped to Canada from eBay.

Out of curiosity, Knight, did you have a rivet gun handy to modify the air duct at the bottom of the intake? I don't and am wondering if there's an alternative install method for the airbox. I was planning on putting it in last night but looking through the instructions... I don't have a rivet gun!

If you had not installed the Air Duct, feel free to PM your telephone number and I will call you with what I had done exactly for the installation....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #22
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M Roadster

What is the HP gain on the Z4 and Z4M???
Appreciate 0