ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
krswen
Registered
Rep
Drives: E350 M-B

Leather seats in Z4

Is the leather on the seats "naked" (not plastic coated) so Leatherique will soak in? I just bought $60 worth of Leatherique products only to discover that my E350 Benz does not have leather seats. Feel like an idiot for not checking more thoroughly first.
I'm looking seriously at 2005 Z4's since they have the older (more reliable?) engine and were rated as very reliable in Consumer's.
I'm not looking for something to track, but rather a toy to take back & forth to the gym and wheel the grandkids (one at a time) around some of the wonderful roads here in northern California. Any members from around Eureka?

Ken
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Yes, they're naked. Soak away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krswen View Post
Is the leather on the seats "naked" (not plastic coated) so Leatherique will soak in? I just bought $60 worth of Leatherique products only to discover that my E350 Benz does not have leather seats. Feel like an idiot for not checking more thoroughly first.
I'm looking seriously at 2005 Z4's since they have the older (more reliable?) engine and were rated as very reliable in Consumer's.
I'm not looking for something to track, but rather a toy to take back & forth to the gym and wheel the grandkids (one at a time) around some of the wonderful roads here in northern California. Any members from around Eureka?

Ken
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

BTW. Use 303 Aerosol for coated leather seats- wonderful cleaner for it. That's what I use on my RAV4 leather seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krswen View Post

Ken
There is certainly nothing wrong with the M54 engine in the older Z4's. They have cooling system weaknessess that can be fixed with regular replacement of key components. However, to say they are somehow better than the 2006-2008 models is (IMO) inaccurate. The newer models have more powerful and more economical engines, a much better ride--especially when you remove the runflats) and have other features like bluetooth and Ipod jacks. Plus they have some cosmetic improvements that enhanced the look of the car. Best of all--the M's came out in 2006.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
There is certainly nothing wrong with the M54 engine in the older Z4's. They have cooling system weaknessess that can be fixed with regular replacement of key components. However, to say they are somehow better than the 2006-2008 models is (IMO) inaccurate. The newer models have more powerful and more economical engines, a much better ride--especially when you remove the runflats) and have other features like bluetooth and Ipod jacks. Plus they have some cosmetic improvements that enhanced the look of the car. Best of all--the M's came out in 2006.
Yes. And the engines in the 2006 - 2008 3.0i and 3.0si cars, once the valve noise issue is corrected, are as reliable as any automotive engine can practically hope to be.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
How do you fix the valve noise in the 3.0si? Are you referring to the clicking noise when the car is idling? Dealer told me it was normal.

Back to the leatherique. I bought the same stuff for my seats. Seems to work well. My seats look brand new.
      01-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
How do you fix the valve noise in the 3.0si? Are you referring to the clicking noise when the car is idling? Dealer told me it was normal.

Back to the leatherique. I bought the same stuff for my seats. Seems to work well. My seats look brand new.
This is a warranty repair, assuming your car still has warranty left. There is a big thread on this issue here. Most of us have had this looked after under warranty.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0