ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

APR Carbon Fiber Wing/Mount R&D Project

APR is looking for a car to help them with a wing project in Walnut CA. They looking to use the same 3D style wing I am running, but with newly designed garbon fiber mounts. I would really like them to use my car for this project, but I am busy with others. I have attached photos of the the CF mount they just finished up for the STI and a BMW 3 series. I also attached a photo of an M coupe from Japan that is running a similar mount style; this is not an APR set-up.

See below for the e-mail I recieved from Tony and his contact info. Tony is the one who helped us out with the front splitter group buy from awhile back:

...I talked to my R&D Dept. yesterday. And they are
thinking of doing a Z4M Coupe Wing for the Track guys. Something that is
cost efficient. And will be a drill holes and bolt on deal compared to the
modifying of the pedestal to get it to work. We will need a car for about
3-4 days to mock up the Lower adapter we will make in carbon. Any help you
can get me would be great. And we will offer the wing at a special Price for
the Test Fit car.

Best regards,
Tony Nguyen
TEAM APR
APR PERFORMANCE
21037 Commerce Pointe Dr.
Walnut, CA 91789, USA
Tel (909) 594-3796
Fax(909) 594-3926
www.aprperformance.com
www.carbigncraft.com

I have been very happy with the work APR has done for my car
Attached Images

01-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
claritycheck
Rolling Republic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I really wouldn't mind doing this, but my car is nowhere near as track prepped as yours. I live pretty close, so I wouldn't mind leaving my car there for a few days.

Should I e-mail Tony myself or shall you be the messenger? Haha.
      01-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
crfine88
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e for effort View Post
I really wouldn't mind doing this, but my car is nowhere near as track prepped as yours. I live pretty close, so I wouldn't mind leaving my car there for a few days.

Should I e-mail Tony myself or shall you be the messenger? Haha.
You can e-mail him,
I wish I had time to be the middle man and get involved in the project, but it's going to be a while before I do. Too many other project going on, work is crazy, and my wife and I have our first baby due in March
      01-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
i wish i lived near-by, they could have used my car in a heart beat
      01-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Perfect timing, I was about to order the apr gtc200 wing. I'll hold off until this project is done.

Thanks again for all the work you have done for getting us more options for this great car!

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

If I had a coupe I'd be all over this. Maybe some day I'll buy a second as a track car
      01-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

If I was in CA I would be all over this! I am sold on the quality of APR products.

For whom ever does take up this project with APR is there any way we get get the mounts to look like the picture below. The factory BMW Z4 M Coupe GT3 car uses a wing that hangs over the rear end and I can imagine this is for greater aero dynamic efficiency. I would love it if the mounts were made so the wing hung a bit over the rear end.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
damn that ess moupe with the wing is pure sex!
      01-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

I spoke with him yesterday via phone. mainly to introduce myself and let him know I had several hatches to work with for their test fitting etc.

We plan to meet up and discuss more in detail. Although my coupe is not able to sport such a wing (stock form,not track prepped)....I'll end up buying ,at a discounted price, a wing to sell for my involvement .

Perhaps Earl- (Palantarion), can use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
crfine88
Colonel
Rep

^ Right on, very cool!

Last edited by crfine88; 01-10-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
I spoke with him yesterday via phone. mainly to introduce myself and let him know I had several hatches to work with for their test fitting etc.

We plan to meet up and discuss more in detail. Although my coupe is not able to sport such a wing (stock form,not track prepped)....I'll end up buying ,at a discounted price, a wing to sell for my involvement .

thats totally dope !
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
If I was in CA I would be all over this! I am sold on the quality of APR products.

For whom ever does take up this project with APR is there any way we get get the mounts to look like the picture below. The factory BMW Z4 M Coupe GT3 car uses a wing that hangs over the rear end and I can imagine this is for greater aero dynamic efficiency. I would love it if the mounts were made so the wing hung a bit over the rear end.

I'm about 40 minutes away. The reason a wing works best hanging back is for more leverage of down force. Also...as the dirty air comes over and back it give it more time to collect and streamline.

The mount in which your asking about goes all the way through the trunk to an additional set of vertical stanchions to be able to handle the down-force energy instead of it ALL pressing on the hatch/trunk lid.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
^ Right on, very cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
thats totally dope !

So cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

So cool.
Hmmmm, just got a email from Tony saying they have someone else with a coupe to test fit to. Looks like I'm off as the test mule for some reason. I'm guessing that its due to me working in composites and that may not feel right to them ?

I certainly had no interest in building my own version of a Zero-Mass wing. My work log is overfilled as it lays.

So who's the test mule...anyone here ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #15
crfine88
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hmmmm, just got a email from Tony saying they have someone else with a coupe to test fit to. Looks like I'm off as the test mule for some reason. I'm guessing that its due to me working in composites and that may not feel right to them ?

I certainly had no interest in building my own version of a Zero-Mass wing. My work log is overfilled as it lays.

So who's the test mule...anyone here ?
Tony sent my the following e-mail and I thought he was talking about you. I called him up and it turns out EAS got their Z4M to them this week.

Hey Chris,
Looks like I might have a test mule from a local company. Ill keep you updated with it. As far as the 2 pictures let m help people understand what is going on with these 2 cars. The grey one actually has the wing in an area that is creating drag. The wing mounts in that location will not be sturdy enough to support that type of airfoils pressure. This is also a straight 2 d airfoil design and not 3D they both function in different locations. The over hang ends up creating less wing efficiently as the airflow coming of the roofline does not kick up and follow the bottom of the airfoil to create downforce. Instead it will roll of the back of the rear deck and roll downwards on the car creating a vacuum and thus creating drag. The BMW Motorsports Car utilizes direct frame mounts. For the airfoil. Also if you notice on this car the rear diffuser also extends past the bumper as an aero aid as well. This car had many things that differ from the Grey car. Widebody, Rear Quarter panel Vents, and turbulence ports as well as a rear diffuser. These things work in conjunction with one another to create downforce and reduce lift.

Nothing is confirmed, but the wing may not be the only think they are working on
      01-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
Tony sent my the following e-mail and I thought he was talking about you. I called him up and it turns out EAS got their Z4M to them this week.

Hey Chris,
Looks like I might have a test mule from a local company. Ill keep you updated with it. As far as the 2 pictures let m help people understand what is going on with these 2 cars. The grey one actually has the wing in an area that is creating drag. The wing mounts in that location will not be sturdy enough to support that type of airfoils pressure. This is also a straight 2 d airfoil design and not 3D they both function in different locations. The over hang ends up creating less wing efficiently as the airflow coming of the roofline does not kick up and follow the bottom of the airfoil to create downforce. Instead it will roll of the back of the rear deck and roll downwards on the car creating a vacuum and thus creating drag. The BMW Motorsports Car utilizes direct frame mounts. For the airfoil. Also if you notice on this car the rear diffuser also extends past the bumper as an aero aid as well. This car had many things that differ from the Grey car. Widebody, Rear Quarter panel Vents, and turbulence ports as well as a rear diffuser. These things work in conjunction with one another to create downforce and reduce lift.

Nothing is confirmed, but the wing may not be the only think they are working on
oOOooooh ! Maybe......>>>> They're own version of >>>>>

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
dorifto88
Major
Rep

im with it for cf front fender flairs !
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
flat_out
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

This sounds interesting, will keep a keen interest on this for sure. BTW does anyone else running the APR front splitter find the front bumper pulling at the sides - presumably due to so much DF.... not sure if this is a sytemic issue with this kit or maybe i'm applying too much angle...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #19
dorifto88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat_out View Post
This sounds interesting, will keep a keen interest on this for sure. BTW does anyone else running the APR front splitter find the front bumper pulling at the sides - presumably due to so much DF.... not sure if this is a sytemic issue with this kit or maybe i'm applying too much angle...
you might try to 'untighten' the side screws so that there is less tension
Appreciate 0