ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: By echolocation

Z4M and Z4 Parts Weight Comparison Google Spreadsheet

Here is the link to what I have started. Most were either weighed myself or taken from Chris's mod journal. I'm working on getting all the pics up for my stuff.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FR2ZDllUlp2dXc

Please add what you have, and document it when possible/feasible. Right now I have it so anyone with that link can edit it but please respect the following:

-Format as I have it now. I just threw it together but should allow users to filter by stock/aftermarket, as well as brand, and deeper, but those 1st two I think would be most productive, and is quite legible for me, but I am in excel all day...

-If you have a constructive idea on how to better the format, let me know via PM or in here. As you can tell I'm not really one for fancy colors, fonts, and tables, so if anyone feels they can change things like this in the interest of enhancing legibility, feel free to give it a shot (maybe on 1 page to start out with and see what everyone likes). The only thing I considered including I didn't was a place for people to put their name, but in the meantime we can put it under source if there is no picture.

-Please respect the time people have taken to contribute to the sheet. I would really hate to have to make the sheet private, or make myself (and probably a few others) the "sheet keepers" with the only permissions to make changes.

-Page for each "section" of the car are along the bottom. As the sheet grows it may be necessary to split into more specific sheets, but I at least want to avoid one massive sheet with everything thrown on there. This was done from the perspective of USDM cars, as that's the majority of users here. So anything non stock for USDM cars, even if they are BMW parts (IE ZHP knob, headers, ZHP/CSL wheels, whatever) should be classified as aftermarket with BMW as the brand.

-These weights are in LBS! Please set your scales for lbs, or for smaller things convert oz to lbs before adding it to the sheet.

-There are many parts I have installed and not weighed, or have sitting around waiting to go that I have listed with no weights to remind me what I still need to weigh those. If you have the same thing I have listed and post a weight, please post documentation. If you don't have it I'll get to it soon enough and take pics of everything I weigh

-Of course, weighing some things are more productive than others, especially unsprung weight, but if you have something off the car (no matter how trivial) and a scale handy, it never hurt anyone to have more information.

-Can be fun to estimate our car weights. At the end I included a sheet for this. Let's use the OEM listed curb weights to be consistent. Please calculate elsewhere to keep this clean. If you've actually weighed your car, post it with amount of gas and picture if you can.

-If you are new to google docs, I think you need a gmail to edit, not sure about viewing. For new users, it will save automatically after changes (of course you can still ctrl-z any mistakes). I believe once you view it, or make a change, it will automatically show up in your google docs home.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

Also, please use digital when possible. I've noticed a lot less variation across brands and scales with digital. The shitty black one I have to use lately is because our shop's last digital refrigerant scale broke due to carelessness with it. But the black one was consistent with it until it got broken. We are getting a new digital one soon.

All weighing should be done on a hard surface. No carpet, or grass/gravel, whatever else. It's not perfect, but hopefully all of this should keep things relatively consistent

Last edited by SONAR; 01-16-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Nice.

The layout, tabs, and valid values for the first two columns make sense to me. I'm not a big fan of colors, fonts, or anything else either. Then again I'm in Excel all day long as well.

The only thing I could think of for another column was user name. But it's more a curiosity to see "who" weighed it than a really important factual data element. So I agree with your assessment and don't think it should be added for now. Too much stuff just clutters things up.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

added: s54 valve adjustment worksheet. may have to edit margins for your printer/handwriting, please save the sheet as your own and edit margins to your liking on that version
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

wheels and tires should be separate sheets
      01-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

thanks, thought about that but would like to keep info to calculate the weight of the whole package on the same sheet, but I could definitely see that one getting prohibitively large at some point.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

I seperated the wheels/tires on the same sheet, because once we hit 50+ entries, it will be a chore to tell the difference. I'm also going to add a section for doing "math"
      01-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

Good idea to keep organized
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

I honestly didn't think I only lost 20lbs with my wheel/tire setup until I ran the numbers. The heavier 265mm tires up front negated a lot of it
      01-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

Sheet with individual part numbers for S54 shims added. I read a few things saying you couldn't buy the individual shims anymore, just the entire kit. But the part numbers are still good at getbmwparts.com, so who knows. I guess I'll find out next month
Appreciate 0