ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

FS: Sonar / Spyder angel-eye headlights with eye-brow and aux lighting

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
I'm looking to sell my recently purchased Sonar / Spyder angel-eye halogen headlights, black, (a little over 1 month old). $325 + shipping, OBO

Sorry in advance for the long post, but I don't want to leave any details out, especially when money is changing hands....

They are coming off my 2006 Z4 3.0i vert (E85) when my OEM lights come back from Tekarbon in a couple of weeks. I'm not trying to make any money off of this, so will be willing to sell for what I paid, + shipping to you, OBO. (for reference purposes, shipping from Atlanta, Ga to CA was about $28 via USPS for these lights).

I paid $325.00 + shipping from E-bay when I caught a heck of a deal, they fit without any issue, are plug and play, and do not throw any light-out indicator.

Pics are shown below, but they come with an "eye-brow" light as well as an auxiliary white LED light cluster placed within the back of the housing just below the eye-brow. I have both of these lights already wired to the running lights, so when you turn your light switch to the running-light position, you get the side marker running light, eye-brow, and the 2 white LEDs below the eye-brow, along with the angel eyes.

The internal housings are black (not chrome or smoke). The design is based upon the new BMW headlights, so they do not have the "hockey-stick" amber running lights; they use the outer marker light and the eye-brow as the running light and the turn signal is the side marker - again, see pics below.

As noted above, these are halogen lights, so they come with the low-beam projector lens that you simply put your H7 bulb into (No H7 bulbs included) using spring-type wire holders to hold the bulbs in place securely, along with a regular reflector high-beam lamp with H11 55W bulbs (already installed and included). I have already cut a hole and have a wiring plug installed in the H7 lamp back-covers due to my HID kit ..... If you don't want this access in the back-cover, I can seal it off with RTV sealant - basically, this means that if you are just using your regular H7 bulb wires, you don't need this access and I can seal it for you, but since I was using an HID kit, I needed to run wires through the back-cover)

I have had no issues with these lights, run through several car washes and heavy rain storms with no fogging or leaks at all. As a matter of fact, I like the look, but the angel-eyes are dim during broad daylight, so I decided to go with Tekarbon upgrades on my OEMs and won't need these.

Here is my original post after I installed them (bottom of page 3 of the post): http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...dlights&page=3

So I got my e-bay lights in and installed, here are my notes for those of you thinking about them. Made by Sonar / Spyder, they are DOT compliant, installed on a 2006 3.0i with halogens, got them for $325 for the pair, came very well packaged within 7 days of my order.

Pros: decent construction, lens plastic seems heavy duty; you can choose how you want to wire the extra lights (incandescent eye-brow bulb, LED Halos, LEDs just below eye-brow).

They are indeed plug and play, you just have to decide how you want to connect the other LEDs/eyebrow - I connected mine to the wires of the eye-brow). No bulb warning lights on the dash after installation, so everything is the correct load so as not to trip the bulb warning indicator.

Mine came with high-beam bulbs already installed, but no H7 bulbs in where the halogen low-beams are at (which is fine as I have an HID kit anyway), all I had to do was cut a hole in the removable rubber plug of the H7 low beam back and route the wires through and seal them up. If you are just going to use your H7 halogens, then you connect via the wire that’s already inside and put the rubber backing boot on and you're done.

The projector lenses and focus are good, nice crisp cut-off lines, they are straight lines and then do slant upward to the right (as they are supposed to) looking like this: ___/ ___/ kinda..... you get the picture.

Cons: Halos are not very bright during the day - in direct sun-light, you can barely tell they are there .... nice and bright at dusk and dark though.

Wiring is exposed on the back of these lights (not like OEM where you have a compartment cover on the back that keeps everything closed up). I have already run through several rain storms the past few days and have not seen any leaks or condensation yet.

The clear incandescent bulb (W5W12V blade type) for the eye-brow light gives off a yellowish hue compared to the whiter light of the halos, so I swapped the eye-brow bulb out with an amber LED bulb so that the light would match the side marker until I can find white LED bulb replacement. The reflector/diffuser behind the eye-brow light doesn't do a very good job of diffusing the light, so you tend to get a dot effect during the day, spreads out a little more at night

Due to the placement of the wiring on the back of the headlights, the wheel-well access covers touch a bit and take a little more effort to put on than with the OEM stock head-lights

They do have adjuster bolts for up/down & side to side adjustment, however, they are not as easy to access as the OEM lights. You have to use a small wrench to adjust them instead of a screw driver on the OEMs. You can get to the low-beam up/down adjuster through the hood, but the other adjustments will need to be done from behind / through the wheel-well access panel, mine came pre-adjusted pretty well, just some minor tweaking since I have an HID kit where the halogens were.

So, all said and done, it’s up to your preference.... to each their own; I think they look decent, and will serve their purpose. At least I'll have working lights if I decide to send my OEM lights in to Tekarbon for their halo upgrade. Cash is tight right now, so I may just put my OEMs up for sale.

Sorry in advance for the crappy photos, was using my camera phone and couldn't get decent lighting without making the headlights look different.
Wasn't a difficult project, taking the bumper off was easier than I expected (Using the DIYs that are available on the forums), but getting the gaps set correctly between the lights and the bumper cover took some trial and error with the headlight mounting bolts.

Name:  headlights halos on.jpg
Views: 3550
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  headlights.jpg
Views: 3979
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  headlights on.jpg
Views: 4125
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  z4 1.jpg
Views: 8821
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  Headlights back.jpg
Views: 4160
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  Headlights with HIDs on.jpg
Views: 4169
Size:  97.1 KB

if you need more specifics, or would like more pictures, let me know.
Best regards/Greg

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 09-25-2011 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

wish I had the money right now to buy the lights, bc one of my oem lights is broke, so now is the perfect opportunity to buy them..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fercho View Post
wish I had the money right now to buy the lights, bc one of my oem lights is broke, so now is the perfect opportunity to buy them..
Fercho, I did say I'm not trying to make any money off of this, why not make an offer??

Trust me, I'm a part-time-wrench-turner myself, if I wanted to make money, I wouldn't be trying it on headlights!

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 09-26-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

hahaha! ok pm send with an offer!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
^not sure they would work with a prefacelift Z4.

One thing you could do is rent them out, assuming they are easy to install and don't require permanent modifications to the car (I didn't read everything in the thread). I'm sure people would pay to borrow some headlights while they sent theirs out to Tekarbon. Make them do a $300 deposit plus $25 or something like that.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
^not sure they would work with a prefacelift Z4.

One thing you could do is rent them out, assuming they are easy to install and don't require permanent modifications to the car (I didn't read everything in the thread). I'm sure people would pay to borrow some headlights while they sent theirs out to Tekarbon. Make them do a $300 deposit plus $25 or something like that.
Actually not a half-bad idea there, but would be a lot of work shipping back and forth unless I had enough interested parties lined up that could ship to each other after they were done using them...... I'll have to ponder that one
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
That's true, and I figured shipping might be a deal breaker. OT- one of my good friends works ATC at CHA.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
That's true, and I figured shipping might be a deal breaker. OT- one of my good friends works ATC at CHA.
cool, but thats one job I would not want!! Supposedley a profession with one of the highest suicide rates .....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sold
Appreciate 0