ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #23
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
awesome, hopefully the first time I get to use it on track will be at VIR in a few months!

We can all share data, lmk how the install goes for you. Big shout out goes to Frank for his informative posts on both the DIY for installation and setup.

Have fun at the track!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandysV10 View Post
Will get a chance to use it Thanksgiving weekend and again an open lapping day mid December so should be able to collect a good amount of data.
Sabbanick--what event are planning to attend at VIR? There's usually a late February Tarheel BMW CCA school that I hope to be at--they haven't annouced the date yet, but I'll see if I can find out.

We should find a structured way to post and share data--specify tracks, tires, other mods, etc. Could be a good resource. Anyone know if that's possible here? Looking at my AiM data files, a 10-lap session comrpises three files of 1.2 to 2.4MB each. Track map is just 42KB.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #24
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

i haven't made plans yet but I'll let you know when I do. Ill keep an eye out for the BMW event but it may be too early....never know what the weather will be like in the tristate area then.

I like your idea about sharing info...ill focus more on that once I get the install done and every thing up and running smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #25
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Chapter 1 in the M-World materials (2nd link above) has info that'll help with the basic workings of RaceStudio. once there's some data in there. Be sure to check that out.

Last edited by MFGJR; 11-19-2011 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #26
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

there is also an awesome video series on race studio 2 on vimeo...

here is one example of the tutorials AIM provides

I should have mine up and running by thanksgiving weekend...

Last edited by sabbanick; 11-20-2011 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #27
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep
Drives: 2010 M6

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
Solo DL Installed

Thanks to Frank's detailed DIY I completed the install of my Solo DL. Install went pretty much as Frank had detailed it out. I also went with the Mountek CD slot mount but didn't really feel that it would hold it sturdy enough on track so I modified it slightly to secure it a little more. Here is a picture of the CD slot mount modified and the completed job.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #28
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Nice, how was routing the wire into center console? Can either of you take pictures of ash tray when wire is both In and out of use. Mine should arrive wednesday if all goes as plan.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #29
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I also went with the Mountek CD slot mount but didn't really feel that it would hold it sturdy enough on track so I modified it slightly to secure it a little more. Here is a picture of the CD slot mount modified and the completed job.
I had the same idea about modifying the Mountek--it'll be much more secure and that'll probably help with accelerometer data noise. I'm thinking that it also might be a good idea to fashion a short tether of some sort from coated steel cable--in the event of a major off, eliminating the prospect of a 1-2 pound projectile in the car sounds like a good idea for a guy who runs with the helmet visor removed...

Randy--did you get the gear calibration to work?
      11-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #30
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
That's probably a good idea on some sort of tether. Didn't get the gear calib to work, just shows up as an error on the data analysis field. Will do some research on it the next few days and see if I can find anything.

Here's a picture of where my cable runs in. Don't know if everyone has this "access panel" or not but is very convenient, I can just tuck it away when not needed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #31
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice, how was routing the wire into center console? Can either of you take pictures of ash tray when wire is both In and out of use. Mine should arrive wednesday if all goes as plan.
Lots of room within the dash--just pull the panel beneath the HVAC controls to access. Looks like Randy exited the cable through that panel; I fed mine down into the console and out the ashtray. No need to pull the console to do that--just remove the ashtry insert, remove the one screw underneath that, and you can pop and rotate the ashtray/switch assemly out of the cosole by lifting the rear edge first. (Be careful not to scratch your trim--put padding around where you're working.)

Once the ashtray /switch assembly is out, you can easily feed the cable into that space from teh arae behind the HVAC panel. Just watch where the cable is routed when you reinstall the ashtray/switch assembly into the console to ensure it's not pinched, and make sure you leave enough slack to attach it to the mounted Solo. Note that I just left the ashtry insert out, rather than drilling a hole in it to pass the cable through.

Here's a pic--when not in use, I just put the tag end of the dosconnected cable into the ashtray area and close the lid. Never know it's there.
Attached Images

11-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #32
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks fellas!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #33
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Didn't get the gear calib to work, just shows up as an error on the data analysis field. Will do some research on it the next few days and see if I can find anything.
Hmmm...puzzled by that as mine worked--though it did take a few tries to get moving in traffic before the Solo kicked itself out of calibration mode.

Worse comes to worse, if you can't get the Solo to compute gear selection and pass it on as a test channel, you can get RaceStudio to do the exact same thing as a match channel. See tutorial for doing this here:

And, it seems that the Flat Out guy is now narrating AiM's tutorials!

Last edited by MFGJR; 11-23-2011 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: can't type...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #34
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
Lots of room within the dash--just pull the panel beneath the HVAC controls to access. Looks like Randy exited the cable through that panel; I fed mine down into the console and out the ashtray. No need to pull the console to do that--just remove the ashtry insert, remove the one screw underneath that, and you can pop and rotate the ashtray/switch assemly out of the cosole by lifting the rear edge first. (Be careful not to scratch your trim--put padding around where you're working.)

Once the ashtray /switch assembly is out, you can easily feed the cable into that space from teh arae behind the HVAC panel. Just watch where the cable is routed when you reinstall the ashtray/switch assembly into the console to ensure it's not pinched, and make sure you leave enough slack to attach it to the mounted Solo. Note that I just left the ashtry insert out, rather than drilling a hole in it to pass the cable through.

Here's a pic--when not in use, I just put the tag end of the dosconnected cable into the ashtray area and close the lid. Never know it's there.
I have that same keyring.

I mounted my V1 in the ashtray area and my dice under the HVAC, it's super roomy in there. It feels like you could fit a body in there...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #35
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

SOLO DL arrived, install planned for tomorrow.

Happy Holidays and here is a little gem of a site that I discovered tonight

http://www.trailbrake.net/
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #36
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
SOLO DL arrived, install planned for tomorrow.

Happy Holidays and here is a little gem of a site that I discovered tonight

http://www.trailbrake.net/
Let us know how the install goes.

It'll be interesting to see how the TrailBrake site develops, and whether this will be our place share and compare data files. I'll drop a note to the guy and discuss that.

F
      11-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #37
Matt Romanowski
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Hi Guys - I'm the guy that put together www.trailbrake.net. I actually did the same thing as MFGJR about 2 months ago - I bought an Aim SOLO and then started searching for information on data analysis. A LOT of Google time later, I found it was tough to find any amount of information in one spot. I also found it tough to find what books were good. After finding some of the information "hiding spots" I thought it would be good to share. I think with barrier to entry for data sytems, in both price and complexity, coming down quickly, it will really help the HPD and track day drivers skills. So, I hope that trailbrake.net will be a spot for people to start, expand, and work through their journey with data analysis.

I'm more than happy to host and share data files from all makes of cars and data systems. I think it will be a great tool for drivers to see what other people do while driving.

I'm currently working with a couple of pro drivers and coaches to put up Featured Articles that will help with folks in their journey and provide new, online content towards learning how to analyze data. If anyone has suggestions, contributions, questions, or anything else, please feel free to email me at Matt@Trailbrake.net.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #38
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski View Post
Hi Guys - I'm the guy that put together www.trailbrake.net. I actually did the same thing as MFGJR about 2 months ago - I bought an Aim SOLO and then started searching for information on data analysis. A LOT of Google time later, I found it was tough to find any amount of information in one spot. I also found it tough to find what books were good. After finding some of the information "hiding spots" I thought it would be good to share. I think with barrier to entry for data sytems, in both price and complexity, coming down quickly, it will really help the HPD and track day drivers skills. So, I hope that trailbrake.net will be a spot for people to start, expand, and work through their journey with data analysis.

I'm more than happy to host and share data files from all makes of cars and data systems. I think it will be a great tool for drivers to see what other people do while driving.

I'm currently working with a couple of pro drivers and coaches to put up Featured Articles that will help with folks in their journey and provide new, online content towards learning how to analyze data. If anyone has suggestions, contributions, questions, or anything else, please feel free to email me at Matt@Trailbrake.net.
Matt,

Kudos for going out of your way to put trailbrake.net together. I think TraqMate has a spot for their users to share data, but I haven't found anything of that sort for AiM users. Thanks for being willing to host that kind of activity, and thanks, too, for rounding up a bunch of reference materials. I'll be poring over that this winter, getting ready for the first event of 2012.

From our email exchange, I understand that if someone wants to share data, then they should email just the DRK file(s) to you at Matt@Trailbrake.net. Alternatively, if wanting to also share GPS info, then we should zip the package of files for the session and then email. I'll send you some as soon as I get back on track, but that probably won't be until February. Hopefully, someone else can get you some files before then. (That's a hint for Randy!)

It might be helpful to make some background info about the sessions available to your users--track configuration (e.g., VIR's Full Course vs. North Course), driver experience (a Pro, vs. some hack like me with a whopping 8 days' on-track experience), the session (test, practice, race HPDE, etc.) car and significant modifications, and tires. Knowing what we're comparing with will be useful.

Since building good track maps in RaceStudio seems to be a pain, maybe facilitating the sharing of those would be a good idea.

As far as subjects for articles from your collaborators, I'd love to see something about a step-by-step plan for effectively using all this new and extensive data from the perspective of the track novice/data novice perspective. I've been thinking that I'll use RaceStudio to first evaluate and improve consistency--car placement, brake points, entry speeds and turn-in points. Then, I'd move on to looking at fundamental techniques: Am I coasting? Am I building brake intensity quickly, and coming off smoothly? Am I doing a good job matching revs? Are my turn-ins decisive and accurate? Am I building lateral load quickly and smoothly? Next would come looking at my laps alongside a solid, experienced driver's laps to see where the differences and opportunities lie. I'd very much like feedback on where to start with all this, else it may be kind of overwhelming. If anyone else here on this forum wants to weigh in on this topic, the please do.

Thanks again, Matt, for working to benefit the lot of us.
      11-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #39
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Matt thanks for putting together the website and allowing us to host/share data through it.

Install is complete but I'm having issues installing windows XP on my computer so can't access the can bus info just yet. Tempted to just buy a cheap windows based laptop and be done with it.

Install went ok, the hardest part is taping into the ECU wires...there is no wiggle room. I actually shaved down the wire taps to make them as small as possible.

The only thing i am not completely thrilled about is the hardwire power source. Ideally I would like to have a switched power source, so I don't have to worry about killing battery should I forget to disconnect the wire to the solo at the track. If anyone knows of a switched 12V source by within the ECU box please let me know.

Frank thanks again for the DIY, I could not have done this without it.

Soo mad I can't install the OS on my computer to check everything out!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #40
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Install is complete but I'm having issues installing windows XP on my computer so can't access the can bus info just yet. Tempted to just buy a cheap windows based laptop and be done with it.
I did just that--$199 for an HP laptop with 3GB RAM at Best Buy. A disposable laptop! (One of my friends' laptop got run over in the pits at VIR, so cheap is good!

Quote:
The only thing i am not completely thrilled about is the hardwire power source. Ideally I would like to have a switched power source, so I don't have to worry about killing battery should I forget to disconnect the wire to the solo at the track. If anyone knows of a switched 12V source by within the ECU box please let me know.
I'm sure there's switched power at the ECU, somewhere among the million wires... Just which one? I assume that the Solo will stop drawing once fully charged, so hopefully not an issue to have it un-switched.
      11-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #41
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
Quote:
Matt thanks for putting together the website and allowing us to host/share data through it.

Install went ok, the hardest part is taping into the ECU wires...there is no wiggle room. I actually shaved down the wire taps to make them as small as possible.

Frank thanks again for the DIY, I could not have done this without it.

Soo mad I can't install the OS on my computer to check everything out!
I know what you mean about no room with the wires, I ended up just cutting one to unwind it to have a little more room. Not what I wanted to do but it got the job done.

Heading down to VIR tomorrow for Sunday on Patriot course and Monday Full course. I'll try and capture and post all the data that I get, also will post some video's.

I did notice when I exported the data to bring into Dashware that when I selected all channels of data it had problems so just had to select a few channels of data and all laps from my test runs. I believe this is due to some of my channels, gear selector is one, that is not working. Will be very interested if you run into the same thing or if it's just something screwy. I have the most current firmware on the data logger so I know it's not that, anyways there's a workaround for the gear selector channel so no big deal.
BMWCCA #442445

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Randy23185
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #42
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

randy have fun ripping at the track...if it makes you feel any better I have to work 12 hour shifts SAT/SUN/MON days and TUES/WED nights!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #43
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
Quote:
randy have fun ripping at the track...if it makes you feel any better I have to work 12 hour shifts SAT/SUN/MON days and TUES/WED nights!
LOL, no it doesn't but we all have to pay our dues. It'd be better to see you running around the track with me. Hopefully you can make down here next season, I wouldn't mind a trip up to the Glen this summer.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #44
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I believe this is due to some of my channels, gear selector is one, that is not working. Will be very interested if you run into the same thing or if it's just something screwy. I have the most current firmware on the data logger so I know it's not that, anyways there's a workaround for the gear selector channel so no big deal.
Randy--i just had a thought...

When you push the ECU protocol from RaceStudio (Device Configuration) to the Solo, over on the right side of the dialog box there are some options specifying how you want to handle gear selection. Pick "Calculated" and re-push the protocol. Then, rerun the gear calibration on the Solo and see if that gets you data.

Good luck, let me know if that works.

F