ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Definitive Answers Needed!

Hey All,

I've searched and googled but I can't get clear direction on the idea of headers and computer programming!!!! Specifically the E85 3.0i.

I used to own a VW Mk5 with APR software that was easy to find information about. I cant find any info on the Shark software (like who makes it) and such.

Here's my dilema....

I want ebay headers (cheap but nice mod). I assume it will throw a CEL. Is this true? A trick used in the VDub world is to weld in a spacer which moves the sensor out of the exhuast to provide a cleaner reading. Will this work? Has anyone tried this?

Secondly, I've I'm getting software to turn off the sensor how do I request this? Who do I contact?

And now my further down the road question...how I get the car to pass? I live in Ontario, Canada where they don't sniff but hook directly to the OBDII

ALL ANSWERS ARE HELPFUL!!!! (okay almost all)

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
No one that I know of has an OBD2 ready tune for the 2003-2005 Z4. Tuners can turn off the O2 sensors, but you will not pass inspection because the OBD2 test will read "not ready".

Your only option is to install catalytic converters downstream of the headers, but ground clearance is tight. I ordered Supersprint pipes and plan to have Schmiedmann cats welded in. If I was to do it again, I would get their header/s-pipe package, as they don't sell the s-pipe separately. I doubt spacers in the sensor (defoulers) will work. A catless car stinks of unburned fuel too, and the fumes can be overwhelming. They are a red flag for cops too, and can result in a 4 digit ticket.

Please do not put eBay headers on your car. There are plenty of headers available for a reasonable amount of money.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

There's a lot of success with the ebay headers, I cant justify the $1200+ price tag. this is all turning out to be quite a limitation on the car. It just doesn't sound like I want. The Dinan axle back was a serious let down for the money.

I've running a straight pipe now in my soon to be sold Jetta. Turbo back with no cats. Love the sound, love the performance and the smell just means I can enjoy a warmer summer.

Are there any decent header systems for less than $1000?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

You won't find a header to muffler system for the Z4 for $1000....it's a BMW after all.

I have a Bimmerbrakes header that is designed for the M54 E46 but fits perfect and is well made.
http://www.europartsonline.com/brands/BimmerBrakes.html

I bought a magnaflow catted s-pipe made for the 06-08 Z4 that fits perfectly except for 1 flange needing cutting and rotating 90 degrees.
http://www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflow_51725

Paired with the Supersprint race muffler and s-pipe if should sound healthy and flow very well
http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bmw...ipe-v9.aspx#!/
http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bmw...g-oo70.aspx#!/

My tuner has turned off the rear O2's and claims I will pass readiness although I have my reservations. I have welded bungs post cats on the magnaflow piece in preparation for not passing readiness.

Whichever header you do decide on, be sure there are at least 3 bungs, 2 for the pre cat sensors and 1 for a wideband sensor should you go Supercharged.

I second running cats. I have ran catless for 2 years and am tired of the gas smell in the cabin, although the flames out the tailpipe looks cool at night
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

I am running with headers and relocated the secondary O2's to the secondary cats but left the EGT in the headers. No CEL and I passed the Ontario drive clean check back in August.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156689
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
My tuner has turned off the rear O2's and claims I will pass readiness although I have my reservations. I have welded bungs post cats on the magnaflow piece in preparation for not passing readiness.
Interesting...I'll be asking more questions when I eventually meet you in person!!!

But for now, one question. Who's your tuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
I am running with headers and relocated the secondary O2's to the secondary cats but left the EGT in the headers. No CEL and I passed the Ontario drive clean check back in August.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156689

More information plz!!!

I checked your post but what do oyu mean secondary cats? I thought there was only cats in the headers. I need a crude ms paint drawing
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Interesting...I'll be asking more questions when I eventually meet you in person!!!

But for now, one question. Who's your tuner?

Frank Smith TTFS

More information plz!!!

I checked your post but what do oyu mean secondary cats? I thought there was only cats in the headers. I need a crude ms paint drawing
Mirko has an M
Your non M only has catted headers, the canister after the cats is a resonator.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #8
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Mirko has an M
Your non M only has catted headers, the canister after the cats is a resonator.
Sorry I didn't know that there was a difference. Do you guys think the secondary cats from the M would bolt up? Probably not?
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0