ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
lrz
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

F22 M135 M Callipers on Z4M

Hi guys,
I want to install the M Callipers from the F22 M135.

1. It will fit with the original 18" rims?
2. Which drilled front/rear brake rotors I need to install?
(Size/dimensions)

I'll be happy for your recommendation.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
Eau_Rouge111
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i and 2007 Z4M Coupe

Short answer no.

All to do with the hat offset of the rotor you would need to run. The Z4M has a very shallow hat on the rotor where as the F22 you are looking at at least a 3/4" deeper offset on the hat meaning your rotor once mounted would touch the steering arm?? (I think it's the steering arm) that is just millimeters form the dust shield. To get it to work you would have to fabricate a spacer that would sit in between the inside of the hub and the hat of the rotor to pus the rotor out a bit more and this is just another can of worms to solve.

Trust me, myself and 1 or two other people went down this route only to find out the answer is Stoptech or Brembo BBK.

I'm currently sitting on front and rear M4 Calipers that I bought for this exact idea you have that thankfully will fit a track car build I'm going to start soon.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Hold on. We don't know which "Z4" OP's applying this to. If it's an E89 it might work, as that shares the front steering and knuckle from the E9x. The 135i/235i 6 pot Brembo is a VERY popular upgrade for the E9x 335i folks, even though technically it isn't an upgrade (at least not in my eyes).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
lrz
Rep

The F21/F22 callipers should fit the e85 M (with custom rotors & adjustments, not the original cal rotors).
The callipers will it fit with the genuine 18" rims? It will not touch the rim?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
Eau_Rouge111
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Hold on. We don't know which "Z4" OP's applying this to. If it's an E89 it might work, as that shares the front steering and knuckle from the E9x. The 135i/235i 6 pot Brembo is a VERY popular upgrade for the E9x 335i folks, even though technically it isn't an upgrade (at least not in my eyes).
Correct sir. Yes, I'm referring to the E85/E86 Z4M...I've personally been down this road with a set of M4 calipers which are basically the same as the F21/F22 4 piston calipers and the issue isn't the caliper...the issue is the rotor hat that on the rotors one would need to run...the hat is deep or has a very high offset. On our E85/E86, the hat on the rotor is very shallow...so when one tries to mount the F22 370mm rotor or a 380mm rotor off an M4, the rotor ends up touching the suspension or steering arm. So the solution to this would be to build a spacer that would sit in between the hub and the inside of the rotor hat to space out the rotor. One would also need a custom bracket to mount the calipers to the car to align everything. Then also one needs to consider that spacing out the rotor to get this to work would cause the front wheels to be pushed out as well. Other solution I tired was to combine a front rotor off a E90 M3...same issue...touches the suspension due to it being a deeper hat then what the E85/E86 has...then I tried a stoptech 380mm X 32mm rotor as they have much shallower hats off a stoptech BBK built for Z4M E85/E86...problem with this solution that is instantly obvious is the rotor surface of stoptech rotor annulus is much smaller than the F22 caliper would accept. It just becomes too much way too many problems that one has to solve to pull this off...and I run a machining shop so I have the tools to solve them and it's just not worth it in my opinion....hence why I just ordered the stoptech BBK that has been designed for our cars.

It can be done...if one considers all these things I mention and has access to a machining shop as the parts to make this happen as far as I know no one has for sale.

Just my $0.02

Cheers.

Last edited by Eau_Rouge111; 01-10-2018 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
lrz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau_Rouge111 View Post
Correct sir. Yes, I'm referring to the E85/E86 Z4M...I've personally been down this road with a set of M4 calipers which are basically the same as the F21/F22 4 piston calipers and the issue isn't the caliper...the issue is the rotor hat that on the rotors one would need to run...the hat is deep or has a very high offset. On our E85/E86, the hat on the rotor is very shallow...so when one tries to mount the F22 370mm rotor or a 380mm rotor off an M4, the rotor ends up touching the suspension or steering arm. So the solution to this would be to build a spacer that would sit in between the hub and the inside of the rotor hat to space out the rotor. One would also need a custom bracket to mount the calipers to the car to align everything. Then also one needs to consider that spacing out the rotor to get this to work would cause the front wheels to be pushed out as well. Other solution I tired was to combine a front rotor off a E90 M3...same issue...touches the suspension due to it being a deeper hat then what the E85/E86 has...then I tried a stoptech 380mm X 32mm rotor as they have much shallower hats off a stoptech BBK built for Z4M E85/E86...problem with this solution that is instantly obvious is the rotor surface of stoptech rotor annulus is much smaller than the F22 caliper would except. It just becomes too much way too many problems that one has to solve to pull this off...and I run a machining shop so I have the tools to solve them and it's just not worth it in my opinion....hence why I just ordered the stoptech BBK that has been designed for our cars.

It can be done...if one considers all these things I mention and has access to a machining shop as the parts to make this happen as far as I know no one has for sale.

Just my $0.02

Cheers.
You're talking about the M Performance Brake system upgrade (370mm), not the genuine F21/22 M Sport callipers (340mmX30).
I'm taking about the factory calipers

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=34_1949.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #7
Eau_Rouge111
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrz View Post
You're talking about the M Performance Brake system upgrade (370mm), not the genuine F21/22 M Sport callipers (340mmX30).
I'm taking about the factory calipers

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=34_1949.
I'm referring to the calipers that an M4 non CCB would come with and the calipers a bmw 235i 4 piston car would come with that would run the 340MM disk (I run M235i calipers with the 340mm disk on my BMW 128i - not a pain in the ass to do unlike pulling it off on the Z4M)...the issue isn't the calipers but the hat on the rotors being if I remember correctly 3/4" deeper than that of a stock BMW z4M rotor hat.

If you just lay on the floor with a flashlight and from the front of the Z4m you will notice a suspension arm or steering arm that's millimeters from the dust shield of the front rotors...so if one were to grab the 340mm rotor you mention or the 370mm rotor from the bmw performance upgrade or the 380 rotor off the M4, all these rotors have a deeper hat then the Z4m has and you would touch the rotor surface against first the dust shield which is an easy issue to solve...just remove it but it would then still touch that arm that's millimeters from the dust shield.

Again, just grab a flashlight and have a look, you will see what I mean.

Last edited by Eau_Rouge111; 01-10-2018 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
Eau_Rouge111
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Let me clarify, the calipers that one would run the 340mm disk or the 370mm disk or the 380mm disk are all basically the same other then the ears that mount to the suspension of the car being longer on the BMW Performance caliper that runs the 370mm and the 380mm disks...

You could try it with the stock Z4M Front rotors, therefore you wouldn't have an issue with the rotor touching anything but then you would need to solve the alignment issue of mounting the F21/F22 4 piston caliper and I'm sure you would need a bracket to get this to work and consider that the standard Z4M rotor I believe is 26mm wide??...those calipers are made for a 30mm wide rotor so would it still work when your brake pads become worn, will the pistons push out far enough to stop the car?? Which is clearly a safety issue. I don't think or have never read on these forums of anyone going down this route but...it could work...

Last edited by Eau_Rouge111; 01-10-2018 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0