ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
RGlenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M

How to value my Z4M roadster?

Hi All,

Recently finished up rebuilding a 2007 Z4M roadster that had a vanos failure. Only really been involved with Z4s since I purchased in August. For those that have known these cars longer than I, what goes into determining value of them? KBB and NADA are very different price wise ($8k difference between the two sites). I do know coupes command a higher premium, but where do roadsters currently sit? Car is a 2007 black Z4M roadster with 52k. I purchased the car with the intent to flip it after a rebuild, but of course after driving it I am now undecided .

Trying to get a ball park idea on what these sell for as prices I've seen online have quite a large range. I've seen anywhere from $15k right up to $30k. Appreciate any help!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

well, depends on condition and maintenance records, as well as interior color options, but I would peg it in the low 20's.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGlenn View Post
Hi All,

Recently finished up rebuilding a 2007 Z4M roadster that had a vanos failure. Only really been involved with Z4s since I purchased in August. For those that have known these cars longer than I, what goes into determining value of them? KBB and NADA are very different price wise ($8k difference between the two sites). I do know coupes command a higher premium, but where do roadsters currently sit? Car is a 2007 black Z4M roadster with 52k. I purchased the car with the intent to flip it after a rebuild, but of course after driving it I am now undecided .

Trying to get a ball park idea on what these sell for as prices I've seen online have quite a large range. I've seen anywhere from $15k right up to $30k. Appreciate any help!
Oh no, you just purchased the car in August and the motor blew up on you? I'm terribly sorry to hear about this, that is just awful luck if so.

I can tell you, I've owned two Z4Ms now for nearly seven years and the car never gets old. I'd suggest keeping the car and driving it for years, especially since you just dumped all that money into it. It really is an amazing, fun machine.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
RGlenn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
well, depends on condition and maintenance records, as well as interior color options, but I would peg it in the low 20's.
Thanks! I was thinking the same, as it falls right in between NADA & KBB. Car is black on black w/premium package & carbon leather dash inserts. On the negative side no maint records from prior to my ownership, but on the plus side I rebuilt along the engine which I have receipts for.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

List it at $22,000+, KBB doesn't work for these it says E46 M3's are worth 13k when they sell for around 25... These cars in the auction sell for over 17k with that mileage anything below that and you're losing money. Anyway, you're not going to get a quick sale for the car unless you have priced it CHEAP, it takes time to find the right buyer for these cars since they're aimed at enthusiasts looking for a weekend or track duty car as these are not daily drivers for 99% of people.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
RGlenn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Oh no, you just purchased the car in August and the motor blew up on you? I'm terribly sorry to hear about this, that is just awful luck if so.

I can tell you, I've owned two Z4Ms now for nearly seven years and the car never gets old. I'd suggest keeping the car and driving it for years, especially since you just dumped all that money into it. It really is an amazing, fun machine.
I plan to at least keep through the winter (unless I would get an offer I can't refuse) since I didn't get to drive it much prior to this awfully cold weather, but I actually purchased the car with the vanos failure. I would have been really quite sad had it happened after I purchased the car. Having a feeling I will hold it for a while, but always like to know the value of these to help make the choice easier!
Appreciate 1
NickyC17455.50
      12-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
I value mine as priceless. They don't make them like this anymore and I hope I never have to sell. Only add
Appreciate 2
NickyC17455.50
      12-02-2017, 02:37 AM   #8
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
List it at $22,000+, KBB doesn't work for these it says E46 M3's are worth 13k when they sell for around 25... These cars in the auction sell for over 17k with that mileage anything below that and you're losing money. Anyway, you're not going to get a quick sale for the car unless you have priced it CHEAP, it takes time to find the right buyer for these cars since they're aimed at enthusiasts looking for a weekend or track duty car as these are not daily drivers for 99% of people.
^WHS. Black on black with premium (assuming "Top HiFi" with Nav and extended leather) and carbon dash trim is the hot setup.
If I was in the market, I'd pay as much as $25k.
Mine's blue over black with same options. I paid $25k for it almost 7 years ago with 40k miles and a broken Vanos (but not blown engine).
I think I got a deal.
      12-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Priceless?

Quote:
Hi All,

Oh, the subjective nature of determining the intangible....emotion. There are those that consider vehicles transportation and nothing more. An appliance to achieve Point A to B.

There are those that consider vehicles priceless....no matter their market value. For those, the simplicity of just seeing your ride is enough.

Reality....if money were no object, perhaps we would all wish to drive something else. My dream car would be the 2008 Lotus Exige....the first year of forced induction....Sir Colin Chapman's creed....performance through lightweight.

Back to reality....time of year (winter vs summer) effects valuation. A thought is to perform a search for your model year on Autotrader and select any where in the US and not just in your area.
      12-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Nav is a negative. Just a rattling hole in the dash.

Be honest and thorough in your description of what was wrong with the car when you started repairing it, and with what and how you fixed it. Start with the folks on this forum. The truth is that if you did a right proper job of the fix, the car may actually be worth more.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #11
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Hi All,

If the car is in really nice condition, top looks great, leather is nice, seat bolsters still looking good, paint/body excellent, etc, I'd say you're in the $20K-$24K range with the mileage selling it yourself. You did the vanos rebuild, but did you take care of all known weaknesses in the vanos? If so, that's great, because that tends to be a $1200-$2400 service. Prices are all over the place for vanos work. And if everything is done, the vanos is no longer the worrisome point of failure it was before the service. So, I'd say add +$1500 for the vanos work. But, you're 8K miles away from needing probably Inspection II, valve adjustment, possible rod bearings, and fluid swaps. Possibly needs suspension refurb. So, all those things start eating away when I value a Z4M roadster. If all that work is done by an indy, that's -$3000 to -$4000. If it needs tires, another -$1000.

That's how my mind works on valuing the car. I'd start with a base price of about $24K (I think a little on the high side for 52K miles) and then add and subtract soon to be needed service and wear items, and any cosmetic fixes needed.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #12
RGlenn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
If the car is in really nice condition, top looks great, leather is nice, seat bolsters still looking good, paint/body excellent, etc, I'd say you're in the $20K-$24K range with the mileage selling it yourself. You did the vanos rebuild, but did you take care of all known weaknesses in the vanos? If so, that's great, because that tends to be a $1200-$2400 service. Prices are all over the place for vanos work. And if everything is done, the vanos is no longer the worrisome point of failure it was before the service. So, I'd say add +$1500 for the vanos work. But, you're 8K miles away from needing probably Inspection II, valve adjustment, possible rod bearings, and fluid swaps. Possibly needs suspension refurb. So, all those things start eating away when I value a Z4M roadster. If all that work is done by an indy, that's -$3000 to -$4000. If it needs tires, another -$1000.

That's how my mind works on valuing the car. I'd start with a base price of about $24K (I think a little on the high side for 52K miles) and then add and subtract soon to be needed service and wear items, and any cosmetic fixes needed.

Salty

Thanks all for the help in valuing the car. The car does not have navi but I believe it has one of the “premium audio set ups”. I have the window sticker at home but I’ll have to double check what it says when I get back from my short LA trip. Doing everything I can to avoid the NY winters . I believe the car has the premium package, does that mean it also would have gotten a better stereo set up?

I’ve replaced quite a bit of parts on the engine and when I’m back home I’ll find some time to write up a list. Should I sell I’m very much one who would rather be upfront with what I’ve done rather than hiding from a potential buyer. Would certainly like the opinions of the group if anything else might need to be replaced or if I’ve hit all the known likely to fail/wear items.

Thanks,
Ryan
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 MR

I’m looking to buy a Z4MR. PM if selling.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
RGlenn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_d66 View Post
I’m looking to buy a Z4MR. PM if selling.
Sure thing. I can shoot you a PM to see if it is something of interest to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #15
Z4dugh
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 Z4 MC

Garage List
Z4 MR

I think value is related to comparable market for similar cars, S2000 and Cayman S. These cars are currently very desirable and relatively economical for the everyday guy or gal. My estimation is if they are in reasonably stock condition and low mileage the value is pretty high...roughly 50% of new cost. I think we have seen the bottom for pricing (06 to 08 M cars) and that we will see the Roadster & Coupe form increase but not ever exceed the cost of new going forward 5 to 10 years in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 11:33 PM   #16
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

Quote:
Hi All,

Former Z4MR owner here that benefited from a lot of advice on this forum in the past, so I thought I'd chime in. FWIW, I currently own a 22k mile '09 E90 M3 6MT and absolutely love it, but open to selling it for something more "raw."

As others have mentioned, pricing these cars very much depends on the condition and mileage of the car. It's 100% an enthusiast market so KBB and Carmax are useless and will absolutely low-ball you compared to the enthusiast market value. With the M Roadster, seasonality plays a factor, though I know a lot of owners use the car as a weekend or "special occasion car" so not driving it in the winter is common. That said, you'd probably be able to get 5-10% more if you hold out until the spring or summer.

I follow the market pretty closely and am on sites like EAG, Autotrader, and BAT almost daily. I can't comment specifically on your car, but I have noticed that the Z4M's (both roadster and coupe) have continued to hold their value well, particularly the clean ones. I think clean, well sorted Z4MRs that are under 50k miles are at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Ones below 35k miles will likely start to increase in value over the next 2-3 years as they are becoming very rare and check all the enthusiast boxes and are one of the last, N/A BMW M cars. As a general trend, I think the N/A M cars will hold their value the best over time since it's the last of an era.

Good luck!

Last edited by KPop; 01-21-2018 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0