ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
pingpong
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just got an external mic for the GoPro...

And wow does it make a difference. I mounted it to the rear bumper right above the exhaust, and this is what I got from a run through the first two gears. Keep in mind that this is a bone stock exhaust on a non-M Z.

I got the mic on Amazon for $68. http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica.../dp/B0016ARZ9C

I should preface all this by saying that I did a quick test of the mic inside the car, and it didn't pick up much sound at all. I've already removed most of the foam from the sound generator tube and bolted on an intake, so it's not like it's all that quiet inside the cabin. I'll try putting it closer to the footwell to maybe pick up some more sound, and post up a comparison between the internal and external mic when I do.

I'll also be giving it a go on my motorcycle with a race pipe later this week. Can't wait to hear what that'll sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Angry-cop
The Commissioner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 EVO X GSR, 96 Cherokee

That sounds really good!.. Did you leave the Gopro out of its case to plug that mic in? Or do they make a special case that has an opening over the mic jack?? I also have a Hero HD 2 and my biggest gripe is the sound and the location of the External mic jack... And another question that Mic you bought does it come with a long cord? It looks short on Amazon?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-cop View Post
That sounds really good!.. Did you leave the Gopro out of its case to plug that mic in? Or do they make a special case that has an opening over the mic jack?? I also have a Hero HD 2 and my biggest gripe is the sound and the location of the External mic jack... And another question that Mic you bought does it come with a long cord? It looks short on Amazon?
I'm also running an external mic. I drilled a hole in the case, since I have a dedicated flat lens underwater case anyway. You could also buy a "skeleton" housing. I've tried MANY things to eliminate wind noise, and none worked as well as putting the mic on the back bumper near the license plate, far away from the wind stream. Putting it under the hood or in the interior isn't as impressive for sound. My mic also only starts picking up at 100hz, which I don't think is low enough to capture the proper low frequencies of the exhaust
      05-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
pingpong
Private
Rep

Quote:
I got the GoPro Skeleton case that has cutouts on both sides (http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Camera-A.../dp/B004AFFZNI). The mic itself has a 1 meter cord, so I ended up ordering a 6m male-to-female cord to extend it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Angry-cop
The Commissioner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 EVO X GSR, 96 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
I got the GoPro Skeleton case that has cutouts on both sides (http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Camera-A.../dp/B004AFFZNI). The mic itself has a 1 meter cord, so I ended up ordering a 6m male-to-female cord to extend it.
Awesome thanks for the info.. Do you have a link for that male to female cord?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-cop
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
Its probably a simple 3.5mm headphone style thing u can buy anywhere
      05-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
pingpong
Private
Rep

Quote:
I got a generic one for $10 at Fry's.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
OG_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ae86; z4mc

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
very cool.

Im thinking of sticking one under the hood for some engine noise:

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
pingpong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG_M3 View Post
very cool.

Im thinking of sticking one under the hood for some engine noise:

I thought about doing that, but looking at videos online it seems like it just picks up a bunch of noise from the pulleys and belts.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
pingpong
Private
Rep

I did a comparison between the Audio-Technica Pro-24CM ($68) and the Audio-Technica ATR-3350 ($23). Looks like I'll be returning the former, because I really can't hear enough of a difference to justify the extra $45.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong
And wow does it make a difference. I mounted it to the rear bumper right above the exhaust, and this is what I got from a run through the first two gears. Keep in mind that this is a bone stock exhaust on a non-M Z.

I got the mic on Amazon for $68. http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica.../dp/B0016ARZ9C

I should preface all this by saying that I did a quick test of the mic inside the car, and it didn't pick up much sound at all. I've already removed most of the foam from the sound generator tube and bolted on an intake, so it's not like it's all that quiet inside the cabin. I'll try putting it closer to the footwell to maybe pick up some more sound, and post up a comparison between the internal and external mic when I do.

I'll also be giving it a go on my motorcycle with a race pipe later this week. Can't wait to hear what that'll sound.
Sounds very very good!

Hey I have a Hero2 as well and have been trying to get that exact location for filming inside the car. Where exactly did you mount the camera and what did you use the GoPro suction mount? Thanks

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
pingpong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
Sounds very very good!

Hey I have a Hero2 as well and have been trying to get that exact location for filming inside the car. Where exactly did you mount the camera and what did you use the GoPro suction mount? Thanks
When I first go the gopro, I tried using the adhesive mount on the center console in the back (right above the button for the center console door). Unfortunately, I did it wrong (see below) and the mount fell right off, so I decided to use the suction mount on my plexiglass wind blocker.

As you probably noticed, the suction mount vibrates like crazy. After some googling, I found out that for non glossy-smooth surfaces, you need to prepare the area by heating it up a bit, so I cleaned the area with acetone and used a hairdryer on the spot for about 30 seconds (and heated the mount itself for another 15) before sticking it on. I then let it sit for 24 hours without using it. It seems to have worked, because now it's rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

dang.. stock sounds pretty good!!
      05-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

you can also get pretty good sound with the gopro mounted about 4-5 inches from the intake inside the grill...

08-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

hey I just got the same mic as you. What did you use to connect it to the rear bumper? Did you mount it right near the license plate? Going to VIR in two weeks so I should get some good footage.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Bump - can you show me where exactly you placed the mic, and how did you secure it?
      09-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Bump - can you show me where exactly you placed the mic, and how did you secure it?

mine's right in the middle of the rear, about 1" below the trunk opening line. I have the line going through my trunk, and painter's tape keeping it from dancing around near the back bumper. Also have a very small foam muffle over it