ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #23
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
Your idea sounds good in theory but doesn't work out so well in practice because it's hard to target the area exactly when dropping the car. I tried this. I too, have the Tire Rack stands and use pieces of wood to set on top of them. It sounds scary, but once the weight of the car is on the wood, it's not going anywhere. It also makes it easier to place the car on the stands because you're dealing with a larger surface area. If I had the tools, I would certainly route a hole as you mention to sit the wood securely on the stand, at least.
hmm good point, that would be a pain in the ass for a one person job. I dont have the tools either but im sure i could find someone with the tools i need.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #24
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
Kgolf31--I don't see how you can use the front/center jack pad with this jack without first putting the car on ramps or raising either the left or right front jack pads. The jack is not long enough to reach it and still have room to pump the jack. Some of the jacks noted on this thread are long enough to do this but not this one and not the one noted by Ron Stygar (W93642). Am I missing something?

Pic with Lincoln jack in the front with AC rubber pad.

Some pics and mods for jacking up the rear.

Added the AC pad to my Lincoln jack.
Modified the BMW rear duct cutting out a piece to accommodate the AC pad.
Added dental TAK caps to the V rods at the end to lower it down some and not digging into the AC pad rubber.

I don't use the mini ramps in the rear.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 01-27-2012 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #25
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Worth noting, Harbor Freight has a 3 Ton set of jacks that EASILY will fit the jack pads. No woodblocks necessary and it has the widest and flattest base for the jack pad to rest on.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #26
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Purchase the AC jack if you don't want the made mini ramps.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=37
x2. I love my AC DK 13 HLQ for the Z4MC and cannot imagine using anything else I also have the AC/ESCO flat top jack stands that have been nothing short of excellent and confidence inspiring when I am under the car for long time periods at a time.

This solution is def not the cost effective one, but IMHO its the next best thing to having a lift in the garage.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #27
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Those are the first lift stands I've seen that haven't struck me as "spindly looking".

Getting under a car on stands is something I've never been comfortable with. Those look great, though. Love the jack, too. Even if expensive. The tough part looks like finding one in the US for under $600.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Here's what I ended up ordering for a jack:

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=OME29023&source=froogle&kw= OME29023

It's the Omega 2-ton #29023 ultra low profile, extended reach. Other than being black (versus red), it's the exact Omega "Magic Lift" jack pictured in one of the other threads linked to above.

Came to $337 shipped (final price after shipping was about $45 less than anywhere else), so I thought that was a pretty good deal for what it is.

Looks like it will reach the center jack point from the front, no problem. Pictures of it doing so in another thread. Also it's about 2 1/2 inches longer than the AC jack pictured above (and the same height & width). It's a massive piece, but I will be doing 99% of my work outside and the jack only needs to be transported in/out of the garage (<20 feet).

Still shopping for stands. The AC replacement ESCO ones here are what I'm leaning toward. Just looking for a descent deal:

http://www.asedeals.com/flat-top-jack-stands.html

Getting some sturdy equipment will go a long way towards increasing my willingness to get under my car for any reason. I really appreciate the advice/insight provided here.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #29
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I'm kind of glad I don't live anywhere near a fault line or experience seismic activity. I would probably surround the underbody of the car with backup jack stands if I lived in CA.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0