ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Where the CARB legal parts at?

I was motivated to post this thread after I got a ticket for exhaust and intake modification I have on my Z4M. I haven't gotten any tickets for a few years now and was about to forget how complete d*cks cops can be, until I got reminded by one just yesterday. (two motorcycle cops, my favorite)

Thanks to our beloved CA officers fighting deadly crime day in and day out to make sure no one has an intake under their hood, I started to research ways to get performance while keeping the little piggys happy. I know, it's nearly impossible in CA, but I'm just hoping someone out there that's on the same boat as me could shed some light on some alternatives.

I did my research, found nothing for the M's. Some of the series' have legal intake kits etc etc. Heard of some supercharger kits even being CARB legal...

Any solutions?
Any CARB legal mods?
If not, maybe some of the methods you do to make it more stealthier?
What would you do?
Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Did you get pulled over for something else or is a CARB violation a primary offense? Just curious. I don't think I drive my car enough to get too concerned but it would be good to know.

Last edited by itdnwiwbp; 11-20-2014 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Two violations:
27156(B)VC - Modified Emissions (intake)
27150(A)VC - Modified Exhaust (muffler delete)

No reckless driving, speeding, or any of that sort. I was obeying traffic laws.
Pulled me over and said "kids need to sleep at night and you're exhaust is waking them up," it was 9:30PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Price of living in paradise.

Given how expensive and time consuming it is to get anything certified, it makes ZERO sense to certify parts designed for the Z4 M, since there's MAYBE about 500 Z4 Ms that reside in People's Republic of California. That means, assuming 10% of the populace buy your product, you have to spread out the cost to get CARB certified over 50 units.

Does not compute. Makes zero business sense if you ask me.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's true. Sucks that not only is this the most expensive hobby but it's also most hated from authority. Don't get me wrong, there are some gearheaded officers that appreciate a well built car as long as you're complying with traffic laws. But a bulk of officers rather give tickets on exhaust's meanwhile Craig in Inglewood is selling cocaine to kids that carry unregistered weapons in the streets. Go California.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
What are your intake and exhaust mods?
      11-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
What are your intake and exhaust mods?
aFe intake & muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

Holy. I hope I do not get pull over. I been with my super sprint X pipe and race mufflers for over 1 year and aFe intake and now I have no Cats in my S-pipe : / I drove by many cops tough here around Orange county I must it got super lucky! I'm scare now.
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Plasma Blue (SOLD)
2008 Z4///M Roadster Space Gray (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLCZ4M
Holy. I hope I do not get pull over. I been with my super sprint X pipe and race mufflers for over 1 year and aFe intake and now I have no Cats in my S-pipe : / I drove by many cops tough here around Orange county I must it got super lucky! I'm scare now.
Interesting, sounds like the officers there have a human behind that badge.

As long as you drive safe on low RPM's you'll be fine. Just be careful of the motorcycle ones. Something about those motorcycle cops... is it just me that thinks like they have a goal to ruin people's day?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

lol, come on man, I hear ya, but they are just doing what theve been told to do by.. you and your tax paying kind. And yeah it shits me to peaces when some git in a Lambo drives past my joint flooring it and waking up my kids.. that does shit me. maybe time to stick some sort of muffler/baffle in there?

how does that work anyways, you get the violation? do you then have to go back to the DMV showing your car with stock parts? that would be a hassle..

good luck with it anyways bud, and I know you wouldent have been blasting along, just those cops decided to get ya cos you've got a cool/rare car.
      11-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #11
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

To be honest since I install those DKF S-section with CATS delete I cannot control the sound in low or high RPM. I do agree with you in one thing they are doing their job but they ruining people day. I have not got a ticket since 2011 and now that I read this I'm kind of afraid to take my Z to Los Angeles Area xD! One think for sure I respect every rule, every speed, stops, etc.... and I see a lot of Idiots driving loud civics and others low $$ cars that sound loud and horrible and they get away with that.... One think for sure ones I change my Headers I will be fully no CATS xD wanna hear how it will sound them.
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Plasma Blue (SOLD)
2008 Z4///M Roadster Space Gray (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 01:30 AM   #12
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Vanne, I hear ya buddy, but this isn't a lambo, the z4m sounds far better when passing by; it's like getting woken up by angels. Haha I'm just playing, I understand and completely agree where you're coming from. As a kid I would never complain because I'd stay awake if I happen to catch a few drag races going on and just watch lol.

Cops are doing their jobs and I respect the service they do for us, but the way this officer acted just wasn't right. For crying out loud my grandma was next to me too... just embarrassment.

Guys I'd love to talk about how screwed we are to live in CA regulations, but let's not drift away from the topic and start discussing what the solution is going to be to get performance while keeping it legal, or at least under the radar. I'm not giving up!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 02:38 AM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

There really are no CARB choices. Hack said why. Your best bets are:

Euro headers and Euro cats (look stock, performance bump, and will pass smog).

Cams. Not sure of effect on emissions with a tune, but stealthy.

Calling less attention. Muffler delete or any über loud exhaust is going to catch notice. Flying under the radar means fewer decibels. That what got you noticed and why they were poking under the hood. (I haven't heard of this with anyone else--except me in my E36 M3 with straight pipes and UUC next to nothing mufflers. Loud, and got me noticed and a ticket 10 MPH, no emissions nonsense, but the cop made a point of saying he heard me and that was why I got pulled over. Motorcycle cop too.)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #14
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
how does that work anyways, you get the violation? do you then have to go back to the DMV showing your car with stock parts? that would be a hassle..
Well it's sort of two ways, one's a fix it (exhaust) which requires me going and getting it tested out for how loud it is, which I believe needs to be below 95 db. So that's not really for emissions purposes.

The other ticket (intake) requires me to go to a state ref. to get it inspected and signed off directly from there.

Both require me to switch to stock.

Good news, I kept my OEM intake and muffler. I will be going and switching my exhaust today during my lunch and intake when I get home. Friday well spent.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
aFe intake & muffler delete.
Where in SoCal are you located?

I was running around with muffler delete for a while too, but didn't get too much attention. I guess it really varies/depends on area. I also have a tendency to be very light on the throttle unless no one else is around at all, though I'm sure you were probably just cruising as well.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Calling less attention. Muffler delete or any über loud exhaust is going to catch notice. Flying under the radar means fewer decibels. That what got you noticed and why they were poking under the hood. (I haven't heard of this with anyone else--except me in my E36 M3 with straight pipes and UUC next to nothing mufflers. Loud, and got me noticed and a ticket 10 MPH, no emissions nonsense, but the cop made a point of saying he heard me and that was why I got pulled over. Motorcycle cop too.)
Euro headers AND Euro cats will pass smog? I would still need to relocate sensors correct? You just lip up my day. Definitely something I'm going to do.

I don't think cams will get you in trouble but a tune is illegal from what I've heard, but then again what's the point of the cams if theirs no tune? Still stealthy, and willing to do lol.

I'm telling ya man, something about those motorcycle cops. Mine probably didn't have his donuts that day he was being extra anal.

Thank you good sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLCZ4M View Post
One think for sure ones I change my Headers I will be fully no CATS xD wanna hear how it will sound them.
Wouldn't that have crazy rasp?
You gotta let me hear it when you come to LA
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #17
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Huge difference in sound volume between x pipe and race mufflers, and NO MUFFLERS. Muffler delete is almost a guaranteed bust, because it is OBVIOUS.

Give the cops no reason to pull you over, and they won't.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #18
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
Where in SoCal are you located?

I was running around with muffler delete for a while too, but didn't get too much attention. I guess it really varies/depends on area. I also have a tendency to be very light on the throttle unless no one else is around at all, though I'm sure you were probably just cruising as well.
I got the ticket in Granada Hills, Balboa and Rinaldi. Cop wrote down roughly 40 mph cruising.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #19
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Huge difference in sound volume between x pipe and race mufflers, and NO MUFFLERS. Muffler delete is almost a guaranteed bust, because it is OBVIOUS.

Give the cops no reason to pull you over, and they won't.
Muffler Delete? I would suspect you would get pulled over about anywhere in NA. Bust X2. Unless you're riding a Harley; apparently noise created by middle aged Angels on Bikes is legal...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #20
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

I agree with the Euro header/Euro sec 1. Then get a more reasonable muffler.

As far as intake there is nothing CARB. You can just get an air scoop, drop in air filter, and aftermarket silicone elbow.

The cam/tune approach is also a great one.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #21
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz
Quote:

Calling less attention. Muffler delete or any ber loud exhaust is going to catch notice. Flying under the radar means fewer decibels. That what got you noticed and why they were poking under the hood. (I haven't heard of this with anyone else--except me in my E36 M3 with straight pipes and UUC next to nothing mufflers. Loud, and got me noticed and a ticket 10 MPH, no emissions nonsense, but the cop made a point of saying he heard me and that was why I got pulled over. Motorcycle cop too.)
Euro headers AND Euro cats will pass smog? I would still need to relocate sensors correct? You just lip up my day. Definitely something I'm going to do.

I don't think cams will get you in trouble but a tune is illegal from what I've heard, but then again what's the point of the cams if theirs no tune? Still stealthy, and willing to do lol.

I'm telling ya man, something about those motorcycle cops. Mine probably didn't have his donuts that day he was being extra anal.

Thank you good sir

Quote:
One think for sure ones I change my Headers I will be fully no CATS xD wanna hear how it will sound them.
Wouldn't that have crazy rasp?
You gotta let me hear it when you come to LA
Glad to help! Yes, euro headers and cats will pass. Yes you have to extend the O2 sensors. But it will pass the sniff test. Here's one of many threads. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801884

Not sure anyone has tried with cams and a tune, but you could search E46 M3 posts and see. Many more cars with S54 in the E46 world.

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-21-2014 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #22
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Muffler Delete? I would suspect you would get pulled over about anywhere in NA. Bust X2. Unless you're riding a Harley; apparently noise created by middle aged Angels on Bikes is legal...
Bikes actually have less restrictions on how loud they can get, lucky!

Time for a bmw motorcycle shopping spreeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
I agree with the Euro header/Euro sec 1. Then get a more reasonable muffler.

As far as intake there is nothing CARB. You can just get an air scoop, drop in air filter, and aftermarket silicone elbow.

The cam/tune approach is also a great one.
Quote:
Glad to help! Yes, euro headers and cats will pass. Yes you have to extend the O2 sensors. But it will pass the sniff test. Here's one of many threads. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801884

Not sure anyone has tried with cams and a tune, but you could search E46 M3 posts and see. Many more cars with S54 in the E46 world.
All helpful points. You guys are awesome.

I just got a great deal for euro headers from user donovan. Thank you for the easy transaction! Looking forward to the install

I also made a stop at home depot and got an aluminum sheet and a can of plasti-dip to make my own scoop. RPI is too expensive for a piece of metal. Much rather spend some quality time working on her. If I get any success I'll be sure to post a DIY.

Now that I think of it... I want to try to keep the top of the OEM intake while converting the inside filter to an aFe, making it nearly impossible to spot. Just an idea, I have absolutely no clue if it'll work but I'll dig deeper under the hood tomorrow
Appreciate 0