ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
mattr88
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Steering Wheel Shakes When Turing at Highway Speeds

I have a 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i with ~60K miles. When turning right at highway speeds, >60mph, the steering wheel shakes back and forth (clockwise and counterclockwise) along with the front end of the car. I do not hear any noise coming from the chassis or steering components, I do get noise from everything shaking in the car, panels, ash tray etc. I first noticed this when turning on a cement paved section of freeway, I had assumed it was the road surface, however over the last few weeks it has gotten a lot worse. Any turn I make to the right, at highway speeds this happens. There are not issues when turning left or going straight at any speed.
I had the alignment checked. The tires just hit the 1 year mark and they are wearing evenly. I had the thrust arm bushing changed a year ago as well. I have had a couple mechanics check this out and one could not find anything , the other mentioned it may be the front right strut and he proceeded to tell me it would be good to have all of them changed, this made me very skeptical that the strut was the issue. This was not the result of hitting a curb or other incident, it just slowly started happening over time and is getting worse.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

"it just slowly started happening over time and is getting worse"
This really makes it sound like FCABs, ball joint or tie rod. If so any decent alignment mech should be able to spot movement from the above components if they are worn/loose.

You had it aligned a year ago..... with 60k miles on it and nearly 9 years.... it may have finally worn enough. I have a 2003 330i(almost the exact same suspension). In 2009 it had 62k miles and definitely had bad FCABs -same symptoms you are seeing and it shook when I braked, and would not hold track at highway speed. I changed out all rubber suspension components and control arms with new ball joints that year - tightened it all up.

Take it in, let them look at it. If they diagnose bad components just change out all the front end components. Its cheap enough if you are handy. Then bring it back and let them align it.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z4-3.0i...its/ES2219694/
Or they make a meyle HD kit for about 150 more.

Good Luck
Bruce
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
mattr88
United_States
Rep

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the response. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you, my auto notification stopped working :-(

I am taking the car in this week and will update on what they say. It looks like replacing the front end components is easy enough, looks like a good Saturday project! You mentioned the Meyley HD kit, what advantages does that have over the standard components in the link you sent?

Thanks,
Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
mattr88
United_States
Rep

Finally brought car to shop. One of the bushings on the drivers side control arm is shot. They want $500 to change it out, way too much for a <$200 part, will do the work myself.
Any suggestions on other things to change or look at while I have everything apart? I am planning on doing both sides.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I suggest checking oil pan nuts. There are reports some bolts are missing. The under tray needs to be remove to get to LCAB.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
New FCABs will make a world of difference.. not only solving the "big" problem, but making the car steer and handle MUCH better.

The FCABs in my E46 were shot to hell by 50k. At 55k, my Z4M's are still fine. M bushings are more robust.
      01-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
mattr88
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will be sure to check the oil pan nuts. I am looking forward to getting everything put together!
Appreciate 0