ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-27-2021, 06:06 PM   #1
jhawk19
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

Service Engine Soon - Tired of Chasing it

I purchased my 2004 BMW Z4 (e85) two months ago. The car had brand new hoses and lines installed as well as a new A/C and radiator when I purchased it. Since then, my Service Engine Soon light came on. I figured it was NOT a vacuum leak b/c the lines are new. I've checked the intake boot (brand new), no leaks. I used the Autel 500 scanner and saw misfire codes for cylinders 3 and 5. I replaced all the plugs with Laser Iridium plugs by NGK. Didn't fix. I replaced the coil packs and valve cover gasket. Didn't fix. I replaced the DISA valve. Didn't fix. I can clear the codes and ride around, but within 24 hours the Service Engine Soon light is back on. The car drives great. The car sounds great. It has rough idle upon cold start, but after it warms up, it's perfect. Monitoring systems with the scan tool has the idle steady at 675 - 715 RPMs.

The misfire is jumping or I get multiple misfire codes, so it's not isolated to 3 & 5 only. What is wrong?!?! What can I check or replace next? Wouldn't I get a code for O2 sensors or injectors if they were the problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Misfire can be caused by lean or rich condition, which can point to a dirty or faulty injector.
Also incorrect fuel trims reported from faulty O2 sensors will also cause misfires.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 02-28-2021 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
jhawk19
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Misfire can be caused by lean or rich condition, which can point to a dirty or faulty injector.
So, that was the original code (P0170 & 0174). Based on that I checked for vacuum leaks, then changed the plugs and valve cover gasket. That's when the misfires appeared. Once those appeared, I changed the coils and DISA and I poured some injector cleaner in the gas tank. I'll probably do that again when I fill up next time.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk19 View Post
So, that was the original code (P0170 & 0174). Based on that I checked for vacuum leaks, then changed the plugs and valve cover gasket. That's when the misfires appeared. Once those appeared, I changed the coils and DISA and I poured some injector cleaner in the gas tank. I'll probably do that again when I fill up next time.
If you can afford to have the car down for a period of time, cleaning and flow testing the injectors is reasonable price wise.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #5
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

I am in the same boat as you. https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685431

Once i "fixed" all of the obvious stuff, I am now getting O2 errors. I am running cats, but all the o2 sensors are pre cat, with anti-foulers on the #2 sensors. I scheduled an appt for next week to have the placed post cat to see if this will fix it. I would suggest replacing the O2 sensors, as they are fairly easy and not to expensive. Or hook up INPA and you can see the O2 values.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #6
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
How old is your MAF sensor? MAF and O2 sensors are wear items. You can also try data logging to see what different parameters are doing, like STFT, LTFT, MAF, and so on.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0