ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
lgolson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86

2007 E86 Unable to connect to A/T with scanner

First time poster here, thanks in advance for your input!

I recently purchased a 2007 E86 with an automatic transmission. I’m currently going through and replacing all of the fluids as I don’t have records of the last time they were done.

The procedure to change out the transmission fluid calls for you to check the level with the transmission fluid at a specific temperature. I purchased a Foxwell NT510 Scanner so I could read the temperature and do other BMW specific maintenance/troubleshooting in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem I am having is that the scanner can communicate with every other system on my E86 except for the transmission. When I try to connect to it, I get a “no communication” error.

The car does not show any codes and I’m wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I’m not sure if it’s a limitation of the scanner (the manufacturer says there could be a problem with the transmission). It would seem if the ECU was unable to communicate with the transmission then I would be having some other kinds of problems right? Check engine light or something I would assume.

If anyone has any ideas or has had issues with this particular scanner please let me know. Also, if you have one that you have used successfully please share the model of scanner that you used.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:21 AM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgolson View Post
First time poster here, thanks in advance for your input!

I recently purchased a 2007 E86 with an automatic transmission. I’m currently going through and replacing all of the fluids as I don’t have records of the last time they were done.

The procedure to change out the transmission fluid calls for you to check the level with the transmission fluid at a specific temperature. I purchased a Foxwell NT510 Scanner so I could read the temperature and do other BMW specific maintenance/troubleshooting in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

The problem I am having is that the scanner can communicate with every other system on my E86 except for the transmission. When I try to connect to it, I get a “no communication” error.

The car does not show any codes and I’m wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I’m not sure if it’s a limitation of the scanner (the manufacturer says there could be a problem with the transmission). It would seem if the ECU was unable to communicate with the transmission then I would be having some other kinds of problems right? Check engine light or something I would assume.

If anyone has any ideas or has had issues with this particular scanner please let me know. Also, if you have one that you have used successfully please share the model of scanner that you used.

Thanks!
Just use INPA.

Its free and it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
lgolson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Just use INPA.

Its free and it works.
I think that seems like the best option. Thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I had my 2007 long enough to change the trans fluid twice, refilling is a bitch and by the time you get all of the fluid into the transmission it's too hot to properly check the fluid.

Plan on two sessions, once to fill it and a second several hours later to check the fluid level.
Appreciate 0