ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
z4guyutah
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 Si Roadster

USA SPEC IPOD Integration Install Issues

Hi,

I have a 2006 Z4 Si Roadster. As far as I know the changer has never been installed and that was somewhat confirmed by the cables and connectors being jammed under the housing in the trunk. The radio shows a DSP software option (Church, etc) but not a specific DSP button. I also have the newer IPOD (lightning connector).

I bought the USA SPEC PA12-BMW DSP IPOD interface and installed it. Since I don't have the DSP single pin connector I'm assuming my DSP is a software based one and doesn't therefore meet the DSP spec. But I am told the USA SPEC DSP version is supposed to work for either.

I connected the USA SPEC to the CD changer via the 6 and 3 pin connectors in the trunk, then to the USA SPEC control box and finally to the standard provided IPOD 30 pin connector cable. I also bought a genuine Apple lightning to 30 pin connector and connected that to the 30 pin USA SPEC connector. I bought the genuine Apple so that I would be sure if any issues cropped up it likely wasn't the cable.

When I turn on the car and connect the IPOD I don't get any CD changer related options when I push the Mode button. I just get the existing single in-dash CD and radio displays.

In addition the radio acts bizarrely and the behavior varies somewhat based on whether I have the module connected before or after I turn the car on. One of the things that happens is when the radio works (plays music) it will continue to play after I turn it off.

Another weird thing that sometimes happens is that the time shows as being not programmed (dashed lines on radio) on the radio but the console version is fine. I also get the key-in warning beep when I shouldn't when it's plugged in and earlier the lights on the console (speedo and tach) would light up without the headlights being on but that is not happening now.

If it makes a difference in diagnosis I can further explain the connections and sequence and what bizarre stuff happens.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks VERY much!
Appreciate 0