ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Test drove a V8 Vantage N420

Soooo I got quite a dilemma. Have been eyeing Aston Martins for a while and today test drove a V8 Vantage N420. It was a roadster, so not as good looking as the coupe IMO but still very handsome (definitely better looking that the Z4MR). The engine pulled very strong, although low end torque was not significantly better than the MR (it does feel quicker in general). Turning was fine and the car stayed pretty flat around tight corners.

Concerns: It just didn't WOW me. I came out feeling like it wasn't as much fun or tossable as the MR. The V8V definitely feels much larger/heavier, and not in a good way (if there is one). Now I am just wondering what to do. I've been thinking about getting a new car lately just to change things up a bit (after being in non-M and M zeds for over a decade), but don't want to end up regretting the move.

Other options are a 997 911 (which is an amazingly composed car, but just doesn't have the uniqueness of the MR), or an Audi R8 (still an option, although I haven't test driven one).

I am sure there must be folks here who have experienced one or more of these alternatives (or others) so please do chime in.

Edit: Forgot the most outstanding quality of the V8V: That exhaust note! It's simply the best I have ever heard (sport exhaust).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Yup that engine/exhaust sound is amazing. My buddy has the vantage coupe. It is a very nice car, and as you said, the coupe is much much better looking than the roady. Lovely car all around that. Different to the z4m, but lovely non the less. The interior is miles ahead of the Z4, and definitely has that hand made quality touch to it. I wouldent swap it with mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

If you want tossability, you want mid-engine (IMHO).
Test drive the R8.
If I wasn't putting a kid through college I'd be in an Evora-S.
If the S is too pedestrian, they have a couple higher end variants.
Also saw an article today that claimed a mid-engine Vette may be out by year end.

But nothing sounds like a big fat Aston.
      04-10-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

My friend/client purchased an Aston Martin V12 Vantage S with 7-speed manual in China Grey.

I told him three times not to buy it after he asked me if he should. I was unsuccessful in him to giving me the $150,000 in cash it would depreciate in 24 months.

I planned to meet him at the Amelia Island Concours and hang out, see the car, crawl through it and drive it for a feature article.

Being a brand new car he was nervous about driving it up from Miami where he keeps it. After his flight from Cayman he got the car out of storage at home and drove north. I told him that drive will help him bond with the car that only had 17 miles on the odometer.

It's impressive in the metal and on a cold start it actually "barks" and quickly settles into a serious hum.

When I finally drove it the dog-leg 7-speed manual is not intuitive.

The clutch is very heavy but steering is nicely weighted yet slightly numb dead center with pedals slightly close to one another.

The build quality of the alcantara, leather and carbon fiber is beautiful. It's small inside but comfortable once you are situated.

I knew going in that Aston Martin doesn't actually build sports cars, they build GT cars with a good amount of sport in them. They are essentially old-school throwback cars and really don't have direct competitors.

The sound the V12 makes under load is other worldly since there are about three cars (that I can think of) that have a naturally aspirated V12.

Aston Martin took the Vantage and stuffed a 6.0 liter V12 into the smallest car they build. Are there better choices, yes and more than a few.

But for a unique driving experience for the man or woman that doesn't want the predictable Porsche.

We drove around Amelia Island and then down to St Augustine and it was crazy the amount of attention the car gets, and the owner was surprised and grew uncomfortable with the amount of attention it generated. The color was the number one question and people were dumbfounded it had a V12 with a manual transmission.

I haven't driven the V8 but I will say after I drove the Vantage V12 S Coupe I immediately started looking for an Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Roadster with a 7-speed manual in China Grey.

It's really a unique driving experience in an age of turbocharged cars with automatics transmissions and boring aesthetics.
Appreciate 2
Hawkeye2069.50
Vanne1593.00
      04-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Soooo I got quite a dilemma. Have been eyeing Aston Martins for a while and today test drove a V8 Vantage N420. It was a roadster, so not as good looking as the coupe IMO but still very handsome (definitely better looking that the Z4MR). The engine pulled very strong, although low end torque was not significantly better than the MR (it does feel quicker in general). Turning was fine and the car stayed pretty flat around tight corners.

Concerns: It just didn't WOW me. I came out feeling like it wasn't as much fun or tossable as the MR. The V8V definitely feels much larger/heavier, and not in a good way (if there is one). Now I am just wondering what to do. I've been thinking about getting a new car lately just to change things up a bit (after being in non-M and M zeds for over a decade), but don't want to end up regretting the move.

Other options are a 997 911 (which is an amazingly composed car, but just doesn't have the uniqueness of the MR), or an Audi R8 (still an option, although I haven't test driven one).

I am sure there must be folks here who have experienced one or more of these alternatives (or others) so please do chime in.

Edit: Forgot the most outstanding quality of the V8V: That exhaust note! It's simply the best I have ever heard (sport exhaust).
the vantage was always my dream car
best looking car ever in my view
and sounds glorious

test drove several as possible replacements for my z4 coupe and cayman buts its driving dynamics always let me down...big cumbersome feel
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #6
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the tips guys! I tried to find a V12 Vantage nearby for a test drive but those are rare birds! I did see a DB9 locally but as stunning as that car is, it's even more of a GT. I was however able to test drive an R8 as Stickmon suggested, and it was much better than the Vantage V8 (given much of that was likely due to the R8 being manual). Now looking for a 2009-2010 with the right options to pull the trigger, but I have this nagging feeling that I'll miss the MR too much.
Appreciate 1
StickMon635.00
      04-23-2018, 12:13 AM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The R8 is my dream machine. I was lucky enough to be invited to test drive a V10+ model at a local track. Amazing machine. If I had the ability to get one, the MR would be gone tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:42 AM   #8
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
The R8 is my dream machine. I was lucky enough to be invited to test drive a V10+ model at a local track. Amazing machine. If I had the ability to get one, the MR would be gone tomorrow.
Agree that a V10+ would have made a much stronger case for the R8. Unfortunately I'm still not there either, so for now a V8 will do. V8 prices have become very reasonable, and with the R8 going out of production after the end of gen 2, early gen 1s should be close to the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys! I tried to find a V12 Vantage nearby for a test drive but those are rare birds! I did see a DB9 locally but as stunning as that car is, it's even more of a GT. I was however able to test drive an R8 as Stickmon suggested, and it was much better than the Vantage V8 (given much of that was likely due to the R8 being manual). Now looking for a 2009-2010 with the right options to pull the trigger, but I have this nagging feeling that I'll miss the MR too much.
I think this is the prudent choice. The R8 has just enough exoticness to it yet relatively easy enough to take to humdrum Audi dealer for service or find a capable independent mechanic to service it for you.

The Audi R8 V8 with a manual is getting to an interesting point in its depreciation curve, and will only become cheaper.

The Aston Martin V12 Vantage are not plentiful but they are out there. Who wouldn't want a V12 mated to a manual transmission? It's an automotive drug.

The car to get in my estimation is an Aston Martin DBS Volante with a manual transmission. Would play 007 every damn day.

Good luck in search for the R8 and if you have not visited r8talk.com you should. Interesting reading there
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

One of my buds has had two Astons- DB9 and Vantage. Both have gone back with multiple service issues. No more Astons he says. Sure are pretty tho!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #11
mainsoda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M coupe

Sounds like you should take a look at the Lotus Evora 430. When you get it, tell me all about it so I can live vicariously though you

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
Shorts
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 M coupe, E91 325xi

Not sure what price range you are targeting but how about a Cayman GT4 (if you can find one for sale)?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #13
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
I've seen enough Doug DeMuro videos to know that you probably want to buy this with a B U M P E R T O B U M P E R warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #14
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
I think this is the prudent choice. The R8 has just enough exoticness to it yet relatively easy enough to take to humdrum Audi dealer for service or find a capable independent mechanic to service it for you.

Good luck in search for the R8 and if you have not visited r8talk.com you should. Interesting reading there
Exactly, it strikes a good balance between an exotic and relatively reliable DD. I have been on R8talk since a few weeks ago looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
One of my buds has had two Astons- DB9 and Vantage. Both have gone back with multiple service issues. No more Astons he says. Sure are pretty tho!
On top of that everything from repairs to regular maintenance is very expensive. The one I looked at had recently had a $500 oil change. Those lines make you forget all of that though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
Not sure what price range you are targeting but how about a Cayman GT4 (if you can find one for sale)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainsoda View Post
Sounds like you should take a look at the Lotus Evora 430. When you get it, tell me all about it so I can live vicariously though you
Considered both as options (in case of the Lotus an Evora 400 actually) but unfortunately those are outside my price range (~$70k). The GT4 would be great in terms of investment as well, as I doubt it'd depreciate much (looks like it's been going up if anything).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #15
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redacre View Post
I've seen enough Doug DeMuro videos to know that you probably want to buy this with a B U M P E R T O B U M P E R warranty.
Believe it or not there are 2008 R8s on the market right now with Audi platinum warranty through 2022. Would have been a must with an Aston (Doug's had a lot of issues early on too!) but the R8s seem relatively reliable with a few notable exceptions, so I'll likely roll the dice on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #16
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Update: Ended up picking up a 2009 R8. Haven't spent enough time with it yet to have a solid conclusion, but already miss the MR. The R8 is much more comfortable, quicker, sounds amazing, but ultimately is a bit too refined and not as engaging as the M maybe? Either that or I am going crazy.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #17
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Have a Z4MR modded to your liking....

Quote:
Update: Ended up picking up a 2009 R8. Haven't spent enough time with it yet to have a solid conclusion, but already miss the MR. The R8 is much more comfortable, quicker, sounds amazing, but ultimately is a bit too refined and not as engaging as the M maybe? Either that or I am going crazy.
KW suspension
Brembo rakes
OZ Ultraleggera rims
Supercharger
Recaro seats
      05-16-2018, 10:24 PM   #18
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congratulations on the new-to-you ride, and enjoy the car. Learn about it from your new perspective.

And the E86 is going to be very hard to forget. It's a unique car and will only prove to be more so as time goes by.

You can always purchase an E86 M Coupe down the road, it will just be much more expensive is all.

Roll the R8 and just enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #19
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Spaceman Spiff,

Enjoy the Audi R8! They're very nice-looking cars, with excellent performance and great reliability.

As for me, I'll stick with my 2013 BMW 335i convertible and the 2007 Aston Martin Vantage V8 (with manual 6-speed) that I bought last year. These are both wonderful cars, although very different in a number of respects.

If you'd like to see my photo-laden touring articles with both cars, check out my new website at rsftripreporter.net.

Rick F.

05-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #20
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Congratulations - MT (I hope)? Love the gated shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Spaceman Spiff,

Enjoy the Audi R8! They're very nice-looking cars, with excellent performance and great reliability.

As for me, I'll stick with my 2013 BMW 335i convertible and the 2007 Aston Martin Vantage V8 (with manual 6-speed) that I bought last year. These are both wonderful cars, although very different in a number of respects.

If you'd like to see my photo-laden touring articles with both cars, check out my new website at rsftripreporter.net.

Rick F.
Rick,

Beautiful car and pictures! I have always loved the idea of a manual Vantage V8 but am scared off by tales of reliability. What has your experience been? I assume you did a lot of research before taking the plunge so I'm curious what you found. I'm going to pick up a new car to replace the M3 in a year, and will probably by a M2 Competition, but...

Kevin
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #21
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
KW suspension
Brembo rakes
OZ Ultraleggera rims
Supercharger
Recaro seats
KW is on my shortlist to replace mag ride (which is a well known weak point on 1st gen R8). Next would be a supercharger but gotta let the wallet cool down a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
Congratulations on the new-to-you ride, and enjoy the car. Learn about it from your new perspective.

And the E86 is going to be very hard to forget. It's a unique car and will only prove to be more so as time goes by.

You can always purchase an E86 M Coupe down the road, it will just be much more expensive is all.

Roll the R8 and just enjoy it.
That's precisely what I have in mind, to buy another M a few years down the road. Haven't put mine up for sale yet so who knows maybe I just hang on to it, since prices will surely go up (already starting to creep up a bit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Spaceman Spiff,

Rick F.
I have read every one of your posts here in the past few years, and will continue to follow your adventures The Vantage look and sounds amazing (and I love the color on yours)! Admittedly, it has the R8 and the vast majority of other similar cars beat on both counts. Throw in the 6MT and it's in the top 3 best overall packages for the money right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Congratulations - MT (I hope)? Love the gated shifter.

Rick,

Beautiful car and pictures! I have always loved the idea of a manual Vantage V8 but am scared off by tales of reliability. What has your experience been? I assume you did a lot of research before taking the plunge so I'm curious what you found. I'm going to pick up a new car to replace the M3 in a year, and will probably by a M2 Competition, but...

Kevin
6MT and the shifter is the highlight for sure. Everything about it from the feel to the mechanical sound is just perfect!

Rick will have more accurate info on the Vantage, but from my research when I was considering it, that generation is one of the most reliable AM cars. The only significant weakness is the clutch, and of course the cost of regular maintenance is pretty high (closer to an Italian exotic than BMW). I was looking at 2009+ with the upgraded engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #22
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Well, give the new beast some time. There's every chance its charms will win you over!

I don't think you're going crazy. I'll second what you're observing.

The "flaws" and peculiarities of the Z platform actually make it better somehow I think. It takes attention and work to get the car to dance in a coordinated effort with you, and when you get it right it's so rewarding. When you don't it's uncomfortable and unsettling. That feedback seems to create an emotional attachment. Action/reward is tied into the dopamine rewards loop in the brain, so maybe that's it. For an enthusiast/driver that's quite a thing though.

I've had a few Porsches including a 991.1 GT3, the 991.1 which is the only thing that offered the connection/reward combo. It's an easier car to drive, but every better thing you do it rewards with better performance. And that's the similarity between "fun" and "rewarding" in those cars. But the price variance!

I finally settled on the Z4M and an SRT Dodge. That checks the engagement non-practical fun car and very practical (lol) comfortable loud and very fast boxes. Thing is the Dodge has its flaws but it's engaging in its own way. Seems that's what I'm after.
Appreciate 0