ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Broken Muffler Hanger - Common?

I searched but didn't find anything on this...

During my inspection this weekend while doing an oil change, I found the front mount of the muffler broken on my 3.0si coupe. The tubing that is welded to the side lip of the muffler snapped in half and the smaller bar that welds to the front lip of the muffler broke the weld (assuming it was over-stressed). It can easily be repaired, but I was wondering if it is a common problem with the 3.0si exhaust.

Any replies are appreciated. Thanks.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 06:34 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Strange.....
I don't recall hearing about this issue with any of the Z models.
Is it possible that you hit something?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I haven't had any such issue with my 3.0si (knock on wood). And I have to say, my city has some of THE MOST gawdawful potholed / rough / poorly patched and frost-heaved streets in North America.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Strange.....
I don't recall hearing about this issue with any of the Z models.
Is it possible that you hit something?
I did not hit anything that would have damaged the exhaust system and there are no marks on the pipes or muffler to indicate so. Additionally, the car was recently in the shop (a BMW dealer) for a repair that required the exhaust to be removed (new fuel tank) so I'm sure the tech would have noticed the breakage. It is a clean break of the tube, and looks to be cause by stress on the part. Stainless steel is pretty brittle. There is no evidence the pipe is bent (collapsed), just a clean break. Weird. I'm thinking improper heat treating of the tube during manufacture, plus added stress, and the part broke.

Anyway, its an easy and inexpensive repair once I get the pipe off.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:39 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Alright. Success. Got the exhaust out, had it welded, and I'm back in shape.
Cost me 2 six packs. So what happened was the forward hanger on the muffler broke the weld on one of the tubes, which then stressed the other tube and caused it to snap in half. The fix was I took a 1/4 stainless steel screw, cut the head off, jammed it it to the broken part of the hanger tubing, and took it to a custom exhaust place to have it welded up.
Appreciate 0