ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Rated M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB Z4MC

Active Autowerke Tune Purchase Process (help)

Hey Guys,

I need some insight here... I spoke with Active Autowerke yesterday in regards to thier E85/6 S54 Tune they have available. I talked to a sales person that was very polite, but wasn't very knowledgable about the specifics of the tune (which is totally understandable). I was transfered to their "head engineer" who really did sound like he knew what he was talking about, however I wanted to bounce some things off of you guys before I move further with his requests.

I have recently picked myself up a BEAUTIFUL pair of OEM Euro Headers from StarScream . I am still trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my exhaust, but that is a whole other conversation in itself.

Anyway, I live in Minnesota where we have no smog/emissions checks at all, so naturally, I would like to run a catless setup with my MC. So, I asked Active's head Engineer if it was possible to completely shut off the Rear o2 sensors as well as shut off the EGT sensor. He stated that it is possible to shut off the rear o2 sensors with certain versions of the ECU, while other versions it is impossible.

So then it gets to his request, he would like me to go out and unplug both rear o2 sensors AND the EGT sensor, then drive the car around untill I throw both codes. He then wants me to take it to someone who can read specific BMW codes to write them down and send them off to him. This will allow him to dig into my ECU once I send it to them to locate the exact process that throws the code in an attempt to shut it off.

Does this seem logical to you guys? I almost feel as if I am being the guinea pig for them so they will know the exact process to turn off the o2's in the future.

Can someone provide me some insight?
      02-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M View Post
Hey Guys,

I need some insight here... I spoke with Active Autowerke yesterday in regards to thier E85/6 S54 Tune they have available. I talked to a sales person that was very polite, but wasn't very knowledgable about the specifics of the tune (which is totally understandable). I was transfered to their "head engineer" who really did sound like he knew what he was talking about, however I wanted to bounce some things off of you guys before I move further with his requests.

I have recently picked myself up a BEAUTIFUL pair of OEM Euro Headers from StarScream . I am still trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my exhaust, but that is a whole other conversation in itself.

Anyway, I live in Minnesota where we have no smog/emissions checks at all, so naturally, I would like to run a catless setup with my MC. So, I asked Active's head Engineer if it was possible to completely shut off the Rear o2 sensors as well as shut off the EGT sensor. He stated that it is possible to shut off the rear o2 sensors with certain versions of the ECU, while other versions it is impossible.

So then it gets to his request, he would like me to go out and unplug both rear o2 sensors AND the EGT sensor, then drive the car around untill I throw both codes. He then wants me to take it to someone who can read specific BMW codes to write them down and send them off to him. This will allow him to dig into my ECU once I send it to them to locate the exact process that throws the code in an attempt to shut it off.

Does this seem logical to you guys? I almost feel as if I am being the guinea pig for them so they will know the exact process to turn off the o2's in the future.

Can someone provide me some insight?
Yes it's logical, no you're not a guinea pig. Who did you talk to? They need to know exactly what code is thrown so they can find it and disable it. "turn off o2 sensor" is not something in the hex, 7758699487 is.
      02-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Rated M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB Z4MC

I do not remember the name of the engineer I spoke with. O-Cha how long would be reasonable for me to drive around with the sensors unpluged to ensure I throw all nessessary codes. Shall I unplug them at cold start, or let the car warm up first?

Also, spirited driving or normal driving? City or highway?

I just want to ensure I am doing this right as I'll have to wait for a good cold dry day to do this given I have 3 feet of snow outside.
      02-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Not out of the ordinary, AJ at ESS had to do the same thing for me.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

im sending my cat section off to get a pair of bungs welded on by good speed performance so i can relocate my sensors there.....from im told no codes are thrown with this mod.... plus you could see some power gains without a tune.....it basically pays for itself
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

When I first got the AA S54 tune, I didn't have headers yet, so I opted to get the non-headers tune. After I installed headers a couple months later however, the car threw a CEL within two start-ups. This was to be expected though and I had the header tune done shortly thereafter.
The local AA vendor used a Peake tool to read out my codes and the rep that I worked with (Cal @ JSW), communicated with AA on my behalf and got everything sorted out. I've never had a CEL issue since, and the car runs very well, even after 3 track days

Cal has already left JSW though, and he works @ Sonic MS now. But that doesn't really matter for you, since you're not local anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

AA tune with AA Prima Supercharger kit ? Why not?

So the Active Autowerke E46 M3 Prima Supercharger Kit is "only" $6200, but they (Jean) claimed yesterday not to have a Z4M ECU flash despite ample evidence to the contrary posted on this forum.

What gives?

I realize the tune would need to be tweaked, but it seems to be 95% there?? How do we incentivise them to connect the dots?

I would love to see an alterative to the ESS stage 1 for a grand less, and AA product has a generally excellent reputation.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
babydevilj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3. Z4 3.0i

Is his name Karl? I had to do the same thing when I went cat-less with my S/c
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 12:44 AM   #9
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
The local AA vendor used a Peake tool to read out my codes and the rep that I worked with (Cal @ JSW), communicated with AA on my behalf and got everything sorted out. I've never had a CEL issue since, and the car runs very well, even after 3 track days
So doesn't it stand to reason that the AA vendor you used already knows the required codes? So why isn't that info passed along to AA head office so that everyone who wants to run headers can have their tune done properly (without needing Rated M to be a guinea pig)? Ask him to share the info Mfanatic.

I say this because I bought the other set of Euro header off Starscream and have a vested interest in the answer.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
So doesn't it stand to reason that the AA vendor you used already knows the required codes? So why isn't that info passed along to AA head office so that everyone who wants to run headers can have their tune done properly (without needing Rated M to be a guinea pig)? Ask him to share the info Mfanatic.

I say this because I bought the other set of Euro header off Starscream and have a vested interest in the answer.
The rep that I worked with @ JSW doesn't work there anymore unfortunately. But to answer your question, it's because the AA tune was still relatively new at the time so they needed help in communicating with our ECU's in terms of fault codes to tweak.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #11
cmark8
M52, M62TU, S50US, S54, S65
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT, E36 Touring MT

I still have my CEL on because of cats... But it doesn't affect performance wise. Either way, by shutting off the CEL, you'll have to pay 200 bucks and you still won't pass smog here in CA. I kept the 200 bucks to myself to pay for the ridiculous gas price and the awesome 15mpg I get from this car (heavy footed).

1995 E36 M3 USA / 2002 E46 M3 SMG / 2008 E90 M3 6MT
1996 E36 328i Touring 5MT / 1998 E36 323Ti M Sport 5MT
2002 E39 540i Protection
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmark8 View Post
I still have my CEL on because of cats... But it doesn't affect performance wise. Either way, by shutting off the CEL, you'll have to pay 200 bucks and you still won't pass smog here in CA. I kept the 200 bucks to myself to pay for the ridiculous gas price and the awesome 15mpg I get from this car (heavy footed).
yeah the header tune didn't seem to make a difference power-wise. I'm pretty sure they only turn off the secondary O2 sensors. What a rip. Good thing I didn't pay full retail price to begin with
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
babydevilj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3. Z4 3.0i

Quote:
yeah the header tune didn't seem to make a difference power-wise. I'm pretty sure they only turn off the secondary O2 sensors. What a rip. Good thing I didn't pay full retail price to begin with
they just change the range of the sensors, turning it off will not allow emissions to pass because faults would still be present
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydevilj View Post
they just change the range of the sensors, turning it off will not allow emissions to pass because faults would still be present
I've heard this too, but am not 110% sure. Not willing to test it out during a smog test either lol. Just hafta go with "special" smogging
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #15
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
So if u had to do it again (full price like the rest of us) would you get the tune from them again or? If the 'header tune' didn't make a hill o beans of difference... then perhaps ESS isn't so bad then?
It'd be nice to know if there's a clear direction to take. I'm thinking that my Section 1 is going to have 3 little holes in them after all...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #16
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Ah sorry for not being clear. I mean, the tune is great for what it is. But it is what it is; just a mail-order tune

I'm thoroughly happy with mine, but it really all just comes down to each individual's perspective in terms of "worth".
To me, it was worth the hookup price since I was technically the first customer outside of AA.

As far as the header tune goes, I think the mapping is all the same. The ECU is capable of adapting to help take advantage of your modifications. Just don't expect anything breath-taking. For that, you'll need full standalone and many hours of dyno tuning. Not to mention a very good tuner/programmer

Sooo yeah it comes down to what price you're able to get an ECU tune for, and your plans down the road. Like for me, I plan on doing FI down the road. I'm trying to hold out for a turbo app. Maybe I'll offer my car up to a R&D vendor if they're willing to back up their work via contract, such as covering for possible blown motor and any damages to car during R&D process, etc.
Appreciate 0