ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Steenos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
2007 z4m Valentine hardwire install questions.

So I did some research on how to do the install and decided to start the process today. Got the light cluster down put the ground in and then found the green and white wire to splice into.

I used the blue plastic piece that came with the kit to splice in the wire. Hooked the battery back up and turned the key on and everything worked peachy.

Got all the wiring back up into the light cluster and snapped back into place. Turned the car on again and the detector didn't turn on. I also noticed that when I tried to roll up the windows, the one touch didn't work.

Any ideas? I just thought that maybe when I was stuffing the wiring back up that the connection from the splice could have come loose. What about the one touch windows though?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
interesting. have you pulled the cluster back down again and looked at it?

I did this install and did not have the problems you describe. HOWEVER I did disconnect my battery this winter to install a C-Tek Charger to it, and when I started the car for the first time since then, I also lost my one-touch window operation. Is there a history of losing this feature when disconnecting the battery?

I should put my v-1 back in and see if it works after I disconnected the battery too.
      04-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenos View Post
So I did some research on how to do the install and decided to start the process today. Got the light cluster down put the ground in and then found the green and white wire to splice into.

I used the blue plastic piece that came with the kit to splice in the wire. Hooked the battery back up and turned the key on and everything worked peachy.

Got all the wiring back up into the light cluster and snapped back into place. Turned the car on again and the detector didn't turn on. I also noticed that when I tried to roll up the windows, the one touch didn't work.

Any ideas? I just thought that maybe when I was stuffing the wiring back up that the connection from the splice could have come loose. What about the one touch windows though?

Thanks in advance.
Wire splicing for a simple V1 hookup makes baby JC cry. Just get a $6 "add-a-fuse" from Autozone. NO mess, totally reversible, no hacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
interesting. have you pulled the cluster back down again and looked at it?

I did this install and did not have the problems you describe. HOWEVER I did disconnect my battery this winter to install a C-Tek Charger to it, and when I started the car for the first time since then, I also lost my one-touch window operation. Is there a history of losing this feature when disconnecting the battery?

I should put my v-1 back in and see if it works after I disconnected the battery too.
Yes, everytime you disconnect battery you will lose one touch, radio presets, etc.
      04-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Steenos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
So everything is coming back and I did nothing. Went outside to take the light cluster down started up the car and everything turned on. My drivers side window one touch feature is working again. My passenger side will only do one touch down not up now.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

There's a ritual you have to go through to recalibrate before the one touch will work.
It can be done "accidentally" which is why they will suddenly seem to work.
Can't remember the exact steps. Try a search.
Appreciate 0