ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Supersprint V2 Stepped Headers Install + Dynos

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my Headers experience with you. I purchased a set of used SS V2 Stepped Headers from a member here. Had them Jet-Hot'd. Relocated my O2 sensors from stock location to Section 1. Performed my Baseline dyno after adjusting valves and an oil change. Installed the headers. No CEL or SES lights. Allowed the car to adapt for 1006 miles then headed back to the dyno.

49299 valve adjustment
49690 dyno (82*F 32% R.H.)
49710 headers
50716 dyno (95*F 36% R.H.)

I am at 63k miles now and still haven't had a single CEL or SES light because of the relocated O2 Sensors. I used all new gaskets FYI.

I love the extra power and sound. Only regret is, and this is my fault, I had them weld the relocated o2 sensors on the bottom of the section 1. Should of had them welded on the top of it. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Nice. New gaskets FTW. Interesting that you ran your bungs on the bottom
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Platinum Child
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tiag z4mc

Love my stepped v2's, cant beat them
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Nice. New gaskets FTW. Interesting that you ran your bungs on the bottom
Yah That was my one regret and didnt' realize until it was already welded and back on the car. Dropped the car off at the shop after a long day at work and brain wasn't working. Haven't had any issues with wires hanging to low or too hot but I check them everytime I'm under there.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
GriffBrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Yah That was my one regret and didnt' realize until it was already welded and back on the car. Dropped the car off at the shop after a long day at work and brain wasn't working. Haven't had any issues with wires hanging to low or too hot but I check them everytime I'm under there.
Get a new DKF s-pipe on the group buy, then you can be worry free!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Steenos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
When you get the stromung I'd like to hear it!
      05-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffBrew View Post
Get a new DKF s-pipe on the group buy, then you can be worry free!
Oh man. I had avoided that thread but looking at it now, wish I had the cash. Anyone want to buy me a early Xmas present?

My EGT sensor is still in the stock location (in the headers) and I notice there is a soft error (no CEL or SES) complaining about it. As I understand, most people move the EGT to the euro location when going to "Euro" headers.

What I really wish I could do is, get the DKF S-pipe, cap the "euro" EGT location and do a dyno. See if there is any gains/set baseline with exhaust setup. Then move EGT to Euro location, allow DME to adapt, then dyno again to see if the location of EGT makes more power and gets rid of that error.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32
What I really wish I could do is, get the DKF S-pipe, cap the "euro" EGT location and do a dyno. See if there is any gains/set baseline with exhaust setup. Then move EGT to Euro location, allow DME to adapt, then dyno again to see if the location of EGT makes more power and gets rid of that error.
Very curious about that result. It's been talked about, but never done. Do it!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Very curious about that result. It's been talked about, but never done. Do it!
Will you be my sugar daddy?

Thanks to GriffBrew, I'm considering jumping on the group buy. My only concern, which I posted in the group buy, is whether the resonators will have O2 Bungs in them, so I can attach the O2 sensors in the exhaust when using the resonators.

Would be cool to run my SS V2 stepped headers with Cats in the section one, with no SES/CEL lights, then when going to the track, swap in the resonators and run completely catless, without having to reroute the O2 sensors up to the Headers or having them flop around under the car.

Need to stop looking in that damn classified section
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

Quote:
Oh man. I had avoided that thread but looking at it now, wish I had the cash. Anyone want to buy me a early Xmas present?

My EGT sensor is still in the stock location (in the headers) and I notice there is a soft error (no CEL or SES) complaining about it. As I understand, most people move the EGT to the euro location when going to "Euro" headers.

When I was running my relocate, I had the O2s in the Euro position and the EGT in the stock position in the headers. I had not CEL and no readiness issues.

I've heard from some people that when they relocate the EGT to the Euro position that they get occasional plausibility errors.

There was also a thread at one point where someone was seeing a power loss with the EGT in the Euro location and once they moved it to the Stock location in the header then they saw actual gains. (I don't have time to search for that thread right now.)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great review and thanks for putting together the dyno data. Your gains line up very similar to what I achieved on my E46 M3.

I find it VERY interesting how the AFR changes without even having a tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I wanted to compare your dyno results to mine after installing headers but I noticed the dyno runs only go to 7300rpm? Is that a mistake? Any reason you didn't take it to 8k rpm?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Only regret is, and this is my fault, I had them weld the relocated o2 sensors on the bottom of the section 1. Should of had them welded on the top of it. Enjoy!
The same thing happened to me when I had by Euro headers and SuperSprint x-pipe installed. They did a horrible job on my secondary O2 sensors and put them on the bottom. I was told by many on this site that this would have imminent problems. It has been at least 3 years and so far the car still runs great. It isn't pretty but it seems to do the job.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

I was just reading about this... you are not suppose to mount on the bottom because condensation can form in the exhaust pipe and permanently damage the sensor. So while it may be working now, you'll probably be replacing your sensors more often than most. And those things aren't cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb View Post
I was just reading about this... you are not suppose to mount on the bottom because condensation can form in the exhaust pipe and permanently damage the sensor. So while it may be working now, you'll probably be replacing your sensors more often than most. And those things aren't cheap.
Not to be rude or shoot down your point, but driving through water would soak it more than any amount of condensation whether it is mounted on top or bottom. If talking about inside the pipe, when you first turn on your car, there is plenty of condensation flowing through the exhaust, not to mention the brutal environment of the rich/lean, backfiring, unicorn destroying, powerhouse that is the S54. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0