ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Removing Cabin Filter

So I tried to remove the cabin filter the other day following some dyis. However I'm stuck. After removing all the screws there still seems to be something holding the cover from the center. There is like a rectangular kind of opening that seems to catch on something on the other side (I could be wrong). I cannot figure out how to get this off to proceed with the change.

Being horizontally blessed it's a bit of a pain being in that position so any help I can get to speed the process would be great.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
So I tried to remove the cabin filter the other day following some dyis. However I'm stuck. After removing all the screws there still seems to be something holding the cover from the center. There is like a rectangular kind of opening that seems to catch on something on the other side (I could be wrong). I cannot figure out how to get this off to proceed with the change.

Being horizontally blessed it's a bit of a pain being in that position so any help I can get to speed the process would be great.
Not sure what DIYs you followed, but, If its the same as a 2006 3.0i Cabin Air Intake Filter, here is what to do....

Remove the 2 phillips head scews under the dash, push the dash downward.

Once the underlying portion of the dash is pushed down, Pull down/outward on the right side of the Cabin air filter holder cap; it will pop off and swing away.

Next, pull down on the base of the filter - you should now be able to pull the CAF out.

Replace filter, replace filter cover, reinstall dash trim ...... you're all done
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...74&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Makes you wonder why they are put is such a crappy location. On my Boxster and S2000, the filter was located under the trim at the bottom of the windshield(you simply opened the hood and lifted the front edge of the trim to get to the filter.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Makes you wonder why they are put is such a crappy location. On my Boxster and S2000, the filter was located under the trim at the bottom of the windshield(you simply opened the hood and lifted the front edge of the trim to get to the filter.
It's the same easy replacement with the E90 and E46 3-series. The Z4 method is very similar to my old E36 3-series--had to take the glovebox out and a couple more panels to get to the filter. Very much a PITA.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Ahhh, so some BMW's have reasonably easy locations...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Ctrl-Z
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4si  [0.00]
Here's a link to a video FilterHeads has on YouTube. Show the removal pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...VyWm-rtvCFhlOA
      04-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Ctrl-Z
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4si  [0.00]
Oops. Here's cut part of the link now it doesn't work. Here is the full link that should work.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...VyWm-rtvCFhlOA
      04-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Great thanks, that looks just like what I did but my bottom panel did not want to come out after removing the two screws. I will try again now that I know that's the correct procedure.

Yeah the filter is cake to replace on the e92!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I tried again today to remove it. I believe the cover is attached to what I think are the ac vents. Seems like a tab from the cover is attache to a tab from the ac vent with some kind of plastic screw I'm not sure how to remove. Should those vents pull out with the cover?

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 04-21-2012 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

That's a plastic rivet holding the heater/AC duct tab to the cover. To remove it, pry down the small 'nailhead' in the middle of the rivet and remove the rivet pin - that will allow the the rivet body (you can see it's wide head under the rivet pin head) to pull out of the hole through the tab and the cover.

Not sure why they don't mention it in that video - you can see the empty hole in the cover when it's lying on the car floor.

When you put the cover back on, make sure the tab on the vent feeds back through the opening beside the rivet hole. Push the rivet body through the holes in the tab and the cover behind it, then put the rivet pin back in. That will expand the rivet body and secure the tab.

This is what the rivet looks like - should give you an idea how it works.

P.S. Just noticed in that video that it shows the vent tab hanging down when they lift the cover back up - so apparently they are not bothering to reattach it! I wouldn't want to leave my vent flapping around in there ....

Last edited by WestCDA; 04-21-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
That's a plastic rivet holding the heater/AC duct tab to the cover. To remove it, pry down the small 'nailhead' in the middle of the rivet and remove the rivet pin - that will allow the the rivet body (you can see it's wide head under the rivet pin head) to pull out of the hole through the tab and the cover.

Not sure why they don't mention it in that video - you can see the empty hole in the cover when it's lying on the car floor.

When you put the cover back on, make sure the tab on the vent feeds back through the opening beside the rivet hole. Push the rivet body through the holes in the tab and the cover behind it, then put the rivet pin back in. That will expand the rivet body and secure the tab.

This is what the rivet looks like - should give you an idea how it works.

P.S. Just noticed in that video that it shows the vent tab hanging down when they lift the cover back up - so apparently they are not bothering to reattach it! I wouldn't want to leave my vent flapping around in there ....
That's exactly what I needed to know, got it off! Thanks!

Edit: Wow what a nightmare! Now I cant for the life of me unplug the damn foot well light. Why in the world did BMW have to put this damn filter here which is something that's replace regularly.

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 04-21-2012 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow I think my footwell light connector is glued in or something. I cannot get it disconnected for the life of me. I'm afraid I'm going to pull out the wires.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow I think my footwell light connector is glued in or something. I cannot get it disconnected for the life of me. I'm afraid I'm going to pull out the wires.
It's in #3.

You could purchase a BMW repair disc from EBAY.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
It's in #3.

You could purchase a BMW repair disc from EBAY.
It says "disconnect associated plug connection and remove footwell light" unfortunately I cannot un plug my connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It says "disconnect associated plug connection and remove footwell light" unfortunately I cannot un plug my connection.
The next one below what you read.
Passenger side:
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
The next one below what you read.
Passenger side:
Passenger side:
Unclip footwell light ① in direction of arrow from bottom right instrument panel trim ②, disconnect associated plug connection and remove footwell light ①.

I have unclipped the light it is now hanging from the power cable which I cannot seem to disconnect from the light housing.

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 04-22-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok done!!!!!

Gave up on unplugging the light. My finger tips were raw from trying to pry that pos out of the housing. Even tried using pliers to no avail. Managed to get the filter out without removing the light. Was a tight squeeze but I managed to get the old one out and the new one in.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #19
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Even though mine didn't need replacing, looking at the video made me think that it wasn't as hard as I previously thought. Plus, I wanted to see if the BMW dealer replaced it (as they said they did) during my last Inspection I. It wasn't really that hard at all following the video. As for the light issue above, remember, it is only the little black piece that is removed from the light. The larger connector in front of it does not come out. The light itself can remain in the panel after removal of the connector. All you have to do is wiggle the black connector side to side while pulling and it will come off. No release levers or buttons on this little sucker. It's just a little snug and must be wiggled to come off. My filter wasn't that dirty so I'll give the dealer credit. I had a few leaves that dropped into my footwell but no big deal. The whole process from start to finish took about 15 minutes. It's not nearly as bad as my old E36, which took 45 minutes to an hour and require complete removal of the glovebox assembly as well as additional panels behind it. Yuk.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah that's what I was trying to remove but no amount of wiggling and pulling would get that sob out. I have a feeling the last person to do this jammed it in there or something.

Plus my fingers were sore so it was getting hard to do.
Appreciate 0