ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #67
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Very cool santov
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #68
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
Oh I should add Nikki gets one for free since she helped me by supplying the artwork.

I couldn't have done it without her.

I love the video, soo cool! Let me know if you need any help with tweeking the logo.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 03:24 AM   #69
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Colors Options

Ok, so I went to the supply store today and dropped serious cash on some awesome looking metalic threads and fancy needles.

I've also spent some time rendering the graphics that Nikki gave me.

First, I've optimized the stitching for the letters and red swoosh for a couple reasons: 1) make the stitches stronger and less likely to break, 2) make them visually denser and 3) tighter stitching allows for cooler options when using specialty threads.

Here's the underlying stitch pattern (the zig zag underneath) of the letters. The foundation threads provide a "loop" that the top stitches attach too.

Rendering of coupe:

Here's some of the metalic threads I bought. I'd say my favorites for the lettering would be gunmetal in the center, or the pewter to the left.

Here's a butterfly I did for my nieces birthday (she's been taking cooking classes so I bought a canvas apron and stitched her favorite butterfly and her name on it. I can't wait to give it to her, she'll go ape over the butterfly. Her favorite color is purple

Notice I used the silver thread for the butterfly outline, body and her whole name. The camera I used has a flash that ruined the depth of picture. But in person the butterfly looks AMAZING with the sparkle built in and the blended color. That silver might look to flashy on a polo.

I'd like to nail down a design. I like the ZPOST on the chest without the coupe. I'm not sure how close I can get to the bottom of a sleeve with my machine, but I was thinking the back right shoulder would be a good place for the coupe profile. I could customize with a big Z4 in whatever color you want on the back right (over your shoulder blade, like the NorthFace fleece jackets). On the sleeves I was thinking "DTC Off" would be cool.

For a source of the polos the Gap outlet here had some nice polos for cheap. If the shirt is a dark color we'd have to use a lighter thread.

Input please! Since the backing and thread is a little pricey I don't want to do another prototype without a few votes for a design, including colors and placement.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #70
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

Quote:
Ok, so I went to the supply store today and dropped serious cash on some awesome looking metalic threads and fancy needles.

I've also spent some time rendering the graphics that Nikki gave me.

First, I've optimized the stitching for the letters and red swoosh for a couple reasons: 1) make the stitches stronger and less likely to break, 2) make them visually denser and 3) tighter stitching allows for cooler options when using specialty threads.

Here's the underlying stitch pattern (the zig zag underneath) of the letters. The foundation threads provide a "loop" that the top stitches attach too.

Rendering of coupe:

Here's some of the metalic threads I bought. I'd say my favorites for the lettering would be gunmetal in the center, or the pewter to the left.

Here's a butterfly I did for my nieces birthday (she's been taking cooking classes so I bought a canvas apron and stitched her favorite butterfly and her name on it. I can't wait to give it to her, she'll go ape over the butterfly. Her favorite color is purple

Notice I used the silver thread for the butterfly outline, body and her whole name. The camera I used has a flash that ruined the depth of picture. But in person the butterfly looks AMAZING with the sparkle built in and the blended color. That silver might look to flashy on a polo.

I'd like to nail down a design. I like the ZPOST on the chest without the coupe. I'm not sure how close I can get to the bottom of a sleeve with my machine, but I was thinking the back right shoulder would be a good place for the coupe profile. I could customize with a big Z4 in whatever color you want on the back right (over your shoulder blade, like the NorthFace fleece jackets). On the sleeves I was thinking "DTC Off" would be cool.

For a source of the polos the Gap outlet here had some nice polos for cheap. If the shirt is a dark color we'd have to use a lighter thread.

Input please! Since the backing and thread is a little pricey I don't want to do another prototype without a few votes for a design, including colors and placement.

thats awesome man. i really like the idea with the metallic in there. Also a t-shirt would be nice. and for a light color t-shirt maybe we could use light gray? i think it's usually called "heather" gray
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #71
ScottinSSMD
Looking for a track car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
how is this?
+1 here.
      04-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #72
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

im down i want this
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #73
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Exciting =]

But why not center the coupe silhouette instead of offsetting it to one side or the other?

DSC off is a good idea for one of the sleeves
Too bad we can't do ///M logo with coloring and everything. That'd be badass XD
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #74
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

This is turning into some darn good collaborating! Santov, I'm guessing your wife is okay with you producing a few of these babies? If so, then there are some possibilities if you want to enter the handmade world of work/craft on the side for us.

I few ideas in no particular order:
1. Zpost logo on either upper chest or lower shirt and give buyers the option. (Some, including my wife, aren't fans of the boob logo location.)

2. I'm not sure about the back of the shoulder for the coupe design. While it would need to be smaller, the sleeve has more appeal for me. I guess I'm a fan of the clean back of the shirt look, especially on a polo.

3. DSC off on sleeve an option, alternatively a smaller "Zpost" logo on arm. This gives us three sleeve options--Zpost, silhouette, and DSC off.

4. Instead of sourcing shirts, you could provide the embroidery as a service for a price for materials/labor with the buyer supplying the shirt. While this adds some additional shipping charges for the buyer, it would ensure that the fit/style works for everyone. (Downside to this is uniformity and the potential for an "ooops" with a shirt, but fitment is assured.)

5. If self-sourcing seems like a bad idea, I do like the idea of a polo. Classy.

6. What about hats? Zpost on the front, silhouette on the back? (Did someone already mention this?) Santov, can the machine do hats? I have a BMW hat and a ///M hat, but I'm not feeling that as much as a Zpost hat!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #75
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

You jealous of my new Tshirt? Actually this is my favorite slob Tshirt. It has bleach stains and food stains down the front. But it has new life now! I think my wife was hoping I'd wreck the shirt so she could throw it out.

Few things:
  • The DTC symbol obviously is too close to ZPOST.
  • The silver looks great on grey. I think we'll have to go to a white thread if we go with a black Tshirt or polo
  • The red trangle fill pattern is awesome (that was hard to render), but is too far from the T
  • The lower left corner of D was skipped because somebody didn't lace the thread correctly. I didn't notice until I took the hoop off and I can't fix without ripping out the stitches and starting over.

Last edited by santov; 04-16-2011 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #76
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
This is turning into some darn good collaborating! Santov, I'm guessing your wife is okay with you producing a few of these babies? If so, then there are some possibilities if you want to enter the handmade world of work/craft on the side for us.
She's cool with it. She was giving me crap for playing with her Bday present more then she has. This is seriously addictive and expensive. I also hemmed some pants and fixed some stitching on a shirt. My grandmother was a seamstress so I guess it's in my blood. I do contract work and my deadbeat boss doesn't have anything scheduled for the next few weeks. This month is gonna be tight.

Quote:
Zpost logo on either upper chest or lower shirt and give buyers the option. (Some, including my wife, aren't fans of the boob logo location.)
This is easy. Just have your wife put any shirt on and give me a distance in inches from the seam on top of her shoulder to where she wants to the logo to be, then distance from center of shirt to determine lateral placment. Now I'll have the coordinates of where to CENTER the logo. I can come PRETTY close, but there will be some play. The stitching should be just below her collar bone, but above the top of the breast area. I hate when logos ride on top of boobs since I always stare and squint to read the small text.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the back of the shoulder for the coupe design. While it would need to be smaller, the sleeve has more appeal for me. I guess I'm a fan of the clean back of the shirt look, especially on a polo.
Sleeve is no problem. If I scale the profile any smaller though it will diminish in detail. I guess I could thicken up the lines. General location is more important.

Quote:
DSC off on sleeve an option, alternatively a smaller "Zpost" logo on arm. This gives us three sleeve options--Zpost, silhouette, and DSC off.
Is it DSC or DTC? My car button says DTC (Dynamic Traction Control), but I think this symbol is for DSC. I like so much I'm going to make it bigger and make the ZPOST Smaller and place underneath. A few renderings to follow.

Quote:
Instead of sourcing shirts, you could provide the embroidery as a service for a price for materials/labor with the buyer supplying the shirt. While this adds some additional shipping charges for the buyer, it would ensure that the fit/style works for everyone. (Downside to this is uniformity and the potential for an "ooops" with a shirt, but fitment is assured.)
I agree with this BUT... if a thread breaks or machine jams I can start over: waste a bunch of expensive thread and backing and start again. But if the needle breaks and tears the material, or a serious jam makes a big hole in the shirt I don't want to eat the cost of somebody else's shirt.

Even if everything goes right a different material might pucker, and I don't want to send out something that looks crappy. Less variables the better. I rather come to a consensus on a medium cost/ high quality source. I might go to GAP tomorrow and get 5 shirts then people can take em or leave em.
Quote:
What about hats? Zpost on the front, silhouette on the back? (Did someone already mention this?) Santov, can the machine do hats? I have a BMW hat and a ///M hat, but I'm not feeling that as much as a Zpost hat!
Hats are on hold now. With the current equipment I can get close to the brim, but it doesn't look snug. I need another hoop.

I'm about to post a few more renderings for everybody to see...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #77
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Those two renderings are real nice! (even with the D error).

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #78
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Win!

Here's the latest:

I rendered both the ZPOST and the DTC symbol as one file, that saves lots of time and thread changes. I changed the underlying stitching pattern for the red triangle so it's a "pavement" fill, instead of a boring side-to-side fill. The finished pattern looks AWESOME. I refined the circle in the DTC symbol so it looks like a true circle, and not simplistic side-to-side stitching. Resized the ZPOST and shrunk the DTC a little. I tried the DTC smaller, but the explamation point and arrow tip lost sharpness. These details really make the whole thing pop.

Wife and I were at Costco today buying food and I wondered over to the men's clothing. Found these NICE polos made by CK. $17 +tax. High quality stitching, baby soft 100% cotton material. Sizes run about one size small (I'm usually a XL, I bought XXL). Buttons are sewed on well, bottom of the shirt is notched on sides so it will look good untucked, or tucked in. Even has a small "Calvin Klein" tag on the bottom side, so people know you're styling. I bought two XXL and one L.

For this shirt I made a few changes:
  • Changed to black backing thread. The backing is white and washes away, so you'll won't have a huge white puckered patch to rub against your skin. After a couple of washes, the back inside of the shirt should look black just like the rest of the shirt. NO WHITE PATCH!
  • Changed ZPOST to a "pewter" metalic thread instead of bright silver. Looks very classy and not glittery.
  • Placed logo high, next close to bottom of colar. Won't sit over nipple and doesn't face sideways. (Might be too high for the guys who don't button the bottom button and let chest hair stick out guido style. I usually wear under shirts AND bottom button buttoned, so it's PERFECT for me.)

I'm really happy with the thread, pattern, backing, colors, placement, shirt, fit, comfort.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #79
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Fantastic work on this, it looks great!!!!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #80
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Looks Great.
      04-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #81
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Susie Homemaker! So proud of you man.
PS, there is no hating or sarcasm in that statement. Just flat out impressed by your skills

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #82
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
I want one.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #83
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Quote:
Here's the latest:

For this shirt I made a few changes:
  • Changed to black backing thread. The backing is white and washes away, so you'll won't have a huge white puckered patch to rub against your skin. After a couple of washes, the back inside of the shirt should look black just like the rest of the shirt. NO WHITE PATCH!
  • Changed ZPOST to a "pewter" metalic thread instead of bright silver. Looks very classy and not glittery.
  • Placed logo high, next close to bottom of colar. Won't sit over nipple and doesn't face sideways. (Might be too high for the guys who don't button the bottom button and let chest hair stick out guido style. I usually wear under shirts AND bottom button buttoned, so it's PERFECT for me.)

I'm really happy with the thread, pattern, backing, colors, placement, shirt, fit, comfort.
Impressive.... I am in for this design and placement.

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #84
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

awesome. i'll take one
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #85
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I'm also curious now, is it DSC or DTC off?

I thought it was DSC off, because DSC is the default setting. The default setting is DSC on, if you click it once it's DTC on, if you press and hold it disables both.

Great job santov, that looks really good.
      04-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #86
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
I'm also curious now, is it DSC or DTC off?

I thought it was DSC off, because DSC is the default setting. The default setting is DSC on, if you click it once it's DTC on, if you press and hold it disables both.

Great job santov, that looks really good.
Not for the ///M cars AFAIK. Only non-M's feature that way. I know because I have a non-M as well

For most if not all ///M's, once you hit the DSC button, DTC AND DSC are both turned off. There is no separate DTC control.
Stability and Traction are two different control features that aren't necessarily both available on M's.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #87
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Not for the ///M cars AFAIK. Only non-M's feature that way. I know because I have a non-M as well

For most if not all ///M's, once you hit the DSC button, DTC AND DSC are both turned off. There is no separate DTC control.
Stability and Traction are two different control features that aren't necessarily both available on M's.
not true. on my non-m, press once and DTC appears on dash. holding it down is dsc off. jacking this from another thread, but the process is as follows:

- The normal setup (no lights in dash) is DSC on, DTC off
- When you press the DTC button and "DTC" appears in the dash, then DSC is ON and DTC is ON
- Hold down the DTC button and you get DSC off and DTC off
      04-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #88
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Nikki's Birthday Present

Well I couldn't find a polo in Nikki's petite size and after talking back and forth I found a cool sports jacket she liked. It's for girls, great material, has long sleeves with the thumb holes at the end. The pockets are up front with a rubber grommet and elastic eye to run your headphone wires on the inside an up next to the zipper.

For some extra detail I added a coupe on the back with "Nikki" underneath. I used an amazing metalic purple thread.

Tell me if you like it Nikki!

Front:

Front detail:

Back:

Back Detail:
Appreciate 0