ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
z4m_06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

StopTech Sport pads: thoughts?

Hi guys - thoughts on the StopTech Sport pads? I was originally going to get the DS2500, but they are on backorder from Italy. I have a HPDE event on July 9th (anyone else going to MPACT @ Pocono?), and desperately need a set of pads (see previous post titled "Noob Questions"). Any other recommendations?

Note: I do not have the ability to switch out pads for the track events

My driving requirements:
- 50 mile commute to work every day
- AutoX ~2 times a month
- 2 to 4 HPDE events coming up this year
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4m_06
Hi guys - thoughts on the StopTech Sport pads? I was originally going to get the DS2500, but they are on backorder from Italy. I have a HPDE event on July 9th (anyone else going to MPACT @ Pocono?), and desperately need a set of pads (see previous post titled "Noob Questions"). Any other recommendations?

Note: I do not have the ability to switch out pads for the track events

My driving requirements:
- 50 mile commute to work every day
- AutoX ~2 times a month
- 2 to 4 HPDE events coming up this year
These are up to intermediate level track use. I've used them with good success, especially after moving to a regressive braking approach.

For street they dust less and are more linear than stock. Given that they'll be new pads, you have a lot more thickness that on those stock pads you're using prior. That alone provides more of a thermal barrier to the piston and fluid.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
z4m_06
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
These are up to intermediate level track use. I've used them with good success, especially after moving to a regressive braking approach.

For street they dust less and are more linear than stock. Given that they'll be new pads, you have a lot more thickness that on those stock pads you're using prior. That alone provides more of a thermal barrier to the piston and fluid.
Hi Finnegan,

When you say "intermediate", do you mean driving skill or track rating? I will be using the pads at Pocono Raceway (SE Course). I did an event there in HPDE 1, and will only move up to HPDE 2 if there are fewer cars on the track in that particular run group.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4m_06
Quote:

Hi Finnegan,

When you say "intermediate", do you mean driving skill or track rating? I will be using the pads at Pocono Raceway (SE Course). I did an event there in HPDE 1, and will only move up to HPDE 2 if there are fewer cars on the track in that particular run group.

Thanks
Driving level.

I don't know that track and just how hard it is on brakes. The Stoptech Street Performance pads are better than stock. Are they enough for you on this particular track? I can't really say.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
z4m_06
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Driving level.

I don't know that track and just how hard it is on brakes. The Stoptech Street Performance pads are better than stock. Are they enough for you on this particular track? I can't really say.
If they are an upgrade vs. OEM, then I should be fine. The last time I was on the same track it was for a 2 day event (on OEM pads) and I only felt the brake fade 3 times in 120 laps. The track is very intense on the brakes, here is my video footage from the previous event, check it out if you're interested!

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I've used sr34 stoptech pads....it's racing pad....rly rly good.....I have a friend that used to use pfc 01 and after he tried the sr34' he said he felt.more confident and felt better which made him go faster.
PM me if u need good deal on pads
      06-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I used those sports pads on car for 2 track meets, one turn 1 being a downhill right hander, so very heavy in the pads. Those pads held up great, I remember the Marshall smilling as I pulled in saying no damage to the pads and they sound and look like they were doing a great job.
So yeah depending on how the track is, id recommend them for beginner/intermediate track sessions. Lol actually not sure I can recommend them for intermediate sessions, as I am only a beginner myself. Lol