ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #23
koj415
Koji v. el Coyote
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

my dealer charges $22 / qt for this oil

unfortunately it is hard to come by in the US and you're not going to find it at Pep Boys

look for a bmw performance shop or mechanic nearby. I can find it at $13 -$14 / qt in southern california

Someone help me with my Strange Sound / Noise post
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #24
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

Torque spec for the drain plug 17 ft/lbs?

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #25
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Tis 11 13 1az

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
Torque spec for the drain plug 17 ft/lbs?
Per TIS 11 13 1AZ oil drain plug torque is:
  • Thread M12X1.5 = 25Nm (18.44Lb/ft)
  • Thread M18X1.5 = 35Nm (25.82Lb/ft)
  • Thread M22X1.5 = 60Nm (44.24Lb/ft)
My 2007 Z4MC has the M12X1.5 oil drain plug.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #26
jmillet
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up Well stated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Ferrari is even pickier about their oil than BMW M,

plus we don't have Ferrari's we have BMW's
and BMW requires M owners to use Castrol TWS 10w60 oil, Period

They say you "can" use a quart of other viscosity to top up but isn't recommended,
Why is there such an issue when it comes to accepting the oil for M engines?

and its not just here, Go to any M specific board (M3 Post, M3 Forum M5 Forum etc) and there are the same stupid arguments about oil,

Just accept you are to use the oil BMW tells you, Plus I have heard from a few BMW techs that if the engine blows (I know thats worst case scenario) BMW sends a sample of the oil before they warranty the engine,
Apparently they are not obliged to warranty the engine if you use the wrong oil and that is the end of it,

How true that is I'm not sure, But this was told to me on two separate occasions by two separate technicians,
I'd rather just use the oil we are told to use and save any warranty issues that might arise,
There is NO over the counter oil BMW approved for use in M engines other than what you can buy at the dealer (in the US)
Well stated
Why anyone in their right mind would use anything other than the recommended and APPROVED oil in their S54 engined ///M car while still under factory warranty is beyond my comprehension.
And then to say that using a lighter oil makes everything feel better is even more mind boggling.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #27
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I'm pretty sure Ferrari tells owners to use only Shell 10w60 in their Enzos as well....but it's not the best oil unless you race your car.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...017431&fpart=1

It's not mind boggling at all, a motor works more efficiently when it has to work less to push the oil around...provided the oil does not allow metal to metal contact.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #28
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

dude run what you like, Its your car,

I'll stick to what BMW the company that made the car and knows a hell of a lot more about engines than a link to a forum thread from the internet,

My car = 10w60 Factory Fill oil and that's really all that matters

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #29
jmillet
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Wink Plastic surgeon oil expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
I'm pretty sure Ferrari tells owners to use only Shell 10w60 in their Enzos as well....but it's not the best oil unless you race your car.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...017431&fpart=1

It's not mind boggling at all, a motor works more efficiently when it has to work less to push the oil around...provided the oil does not allow metal to metal contact.
So let me get this straight: you're going to take the word of Dr. AE Haas, a Florida plastic surgeon, over that of BMW engineers regarding what oil to use in your Bimmer.
Dr. Haas writes up a long convoluted treatise on oil http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/aehaas/index.html ,a subject his medical training has well prepared him to expound on, and all of a sudden he's an expert on oil.
Give me a big time break

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #30
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

I bought the oil kit from Tischer, and I'm thinking about purchasing one of those vacuum oil change tools so I can pull the oil from the dipstick tube....thoughts on that? I know there are worries about not getting all the particles collected at the bottom of the oil pan. Is this a true concern, or is most of it caught in the filter itself? Would make this process super easy!

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #31
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
I bought the oil kit from Tischer, and I'm thinking about purchasing one of those vacuum oil change tools so I can pull the oil from the dipstick tube....thoughts on that? I know there are worries about not getting all the particles collected at the bottom of the oil pan. Is this a true concern, or is most of it caught in the filter itself? Would make this process super easy!
Seen many posts and opinions on this one. Try a search. I've never used one but I intend to buy one when the free maintenance runs out, because I've not read anything to convince me otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #32
rkcampbell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Used the vacuum pump/extractor on my Z3. It was quick, clean and easy to replace my oil and filter (all BMW parts or approved). Tested the difference by draining the remaining oil from the plug and the amount was negligible. Also, in my particular case, I saw no alarming sludge or residue. It's my assumption that on a well-serviced engine, the filter catches most the bad stuff.

Individual results may differ ;-)

On my Z4MR, not a chance as the oil is near impossible to find here in Victoria. To the dealer it goes (along with the crazy shop/labour charges).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #33
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

^ I know Tischer just ships for free in the continental US, but how much is shipping to Canada? May still be worth it.

I hate reading about people trying to cut corners and cheap out on something critical like oil. Makes me really wish I was the original owner.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #34
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
You would have to be crazy to use anything but TWS 10W-60 in an S54 engine unless you really knew what you were doing and don't mind BMW being difficult on engine related warranty claims.

You'd also be crazy to go by their recommended OCI of 15000 miles.
Man when you guys drink the Kool Aid, you CHUG it!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #35
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post

You'd also be crazy to go by their recommended OCI of 15000 miles.
Man when you guys drink the Kool Aid, you CHUG it!
Not sure why you bumped an ancient thread, but, when the S54 came out that wasn't the BMW OCI.

I don't understand why this is such a difficult issue for so many people. You have a bespoke oil designed for your car that is available at a reasonable price. In what right mind(aside from extreme temperature zones) would you deviate from that and think it was a good decision.
      08-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #36
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

I use Redline 10w60 in my M Coupe. The engine runs quieter with it. I started using Redline about 4 years ago when I had my E30 M3. If you know much about those cars you realize the S14 engine in them are know for spinning main bearings. I never had one hiccup using Redline even after spending $7,000 rebuilding the engine to 2.5 EVO specs. The S14 engine was part of the first two M engine. Even Classic BMW of Dallas uses Redline in the motorsport race teams engines. Their Race team director told me that their dealership does not send oil out to be analyzed, with any warranty issue. There is NOTHING wrong with Castrol oil, I just know my faith in Redline and how good that oil is. Thats even after 2 dozen track days and many autocross' and daily drive E30 M3 miles.

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #37
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

We can debate which oil is better forever but without independent testing I don’t see it ever being resolved.

Just because BMW engineers were involved with the development of the Castrol oil doesn’t necessarily mean it is the best oil made (or that it’s not). Maybe Castrol met BMW’s requirements and stopped, maybe other companies developed something better than Castrol was able to do. We all know Castrol is good, I don’t know if something else is better. Having engine engineers involved in the development of oil doesn’t guarantee the best oil possible. I also see a lot of reasons for BMW's connection with using Castrol, from marketing reasons for Castrol to ease of not testing everything available for BMW.

You can find thousands of cases where a manufacturer provides specs to a supplier to provide a product that meets their standards (working together) and the supplier meets the requirements. It doesn’t guarantee the best possible product in the world was provided.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #38
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Just because BMW engineers were involved with the development of the Castrol oil doesn’t necessarily mean it is the best oil made (or that it’s not). Maybe Castrol met BMW’s requirements and stopped, maybe other companies developed something better than Castrol was able to do. We all know Castrol is good, I don’t know if something else is better. Having engine engineers involved in the development of oil doesn’t guarantee the best oil possible. I also see a lot of reasons for BMW's connection with using Castrol, from marketing reasons for Castrol to ease of not testing everything available for BMW.
But that simply isn't the case. Castrol 10W60 has been an ongoing project for Castrol and BMW since its inception. Any amount of research would yield that.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=295656

And to the other comment above about Redline and the S14, it is completely irrelevant. The S14 is not the S54. 10W60 wasn't developed for the S14. It is an engine where one must search for the best oil.
      08-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #39
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
But that simply isn't the case. Castrol 10W60 has been an ongoing project for Castrol and BMW since its inception. Any amount of research would yield that.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=295656

And to the other comment above about Redline and the S14, it is completely irrelevant. The S14 is not the S54. 10W60 wasn't developed for the S14. It is an engine where one must search for the best oil.
Even as an ongoing project the best that would come out of the process is the best oil Castrol can produce. Isn't it possible some other oil company can do better?

I haven't read through all 11 pages of that thread, is there some independent proof Castrol is the best?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Agreed- I have two cases of the GReddy 10W60 synth oil which cost 40/6qts delivered. I will be using that for the next two years. I can't imagine it won't work just as well as the Castrol oil.

http://www.shopgreddy.com/gr-full-sy...ngine-oil.html
Appreciate 0