ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #23
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

I agree with Hack.

I used to work in a garage when I was in high school. You sound pretty polite Brit, but it was a standard idea that people with these kinds of cars (BMWs, Mercs, Audis,...) were usually dicks . There was an air of entitlement that especially showed if something went wrong not long after the repair (not matter how unrelated), so I can see why the garage can be a bit weary, especially if they didn't know you and if the part was from somewhere else. It was just a risk for them.

I think the social media just adds fuel to the fire now...

(I'm fully aware of the irony now).
-gc
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #24
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britneysho View Post
So I did what Americans do - I got home and posted the story in a negative review (full disclosure: I referred to the mechanic's attitude as "kind of bitchy").

I'm ok with being in the wrong, but I just want to understand what I did so I don't do it again. Can't say that it was a very enjoyable experience.
While you were unhappy with the outcome, the shop acted pretty professionally including not charging you anything. They didn't overcharge you and they didn't do any defective work. You had a disagreement over their parts policy, and just as you have the option to choose who you do business with, they have the same option and chose to exercise it. The online post was going to far IMHO just based on experience on both sides of the fence. (My family has operated a VW dealership, I've operated my own paint and body shop, and while I'm fully capable of doing anything on my E85, I selectively have work done at shops I've developed a relationship with mainly for expediency when it's required.)
      09-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #25
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Lots of pro-shop comments. I disagree.

The shop was the instigator. If it was against policy, the shop could have explained in a civilized manner AND explained EXACTLY why their price was more than those found elsewhere. Immediately assuming the customer is an idiot ordering Chinese knockoffs is wrong. And that snarky BS is, well, BS. I'm sure if the shop had talked to OP like a normal human being, OP wouldn't have taken to social media. Mechanics, like doctors, are not gods among men and shouldn't act or be treated as such.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #26
onthe3rdday
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4C

Quite an interesting thread...

A couple of things you always want to take into consideration
  • The knowledgeable customer is not the norm
  • The market dictates the price of the alternator
  • Your relationship with the shop is a business relationship

I am the Mercedes Product manager from FCP Euro, I just happen to drive a Z-Coupe that I purchased in Oklahoma so I have quite a lot of love for your state. As a few guys stated, if your business is to service European cars, reduce comebacks and have happy customers you will provide all aspects of the transaction in order to limit your risk. With these vehicles, if you learn how to perform a handful of the most common services you will save thousands of dollars. Our cars are very pleasant to work on, we have that extremely long hood with tons of room to work. I used to dread working on my other BMW's like my E90, but on the Z, everything in the engine bay is cake. I'd recommend using the forum to get familiar with some of the more common services if time allows for it. Our Parts (FCPEuro.com) plus our lifetime warranty for the DIY'er, you just can't beat it.

--Kyle
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #27
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

To add to this...

Of course I understand it's not the shop's job to look for the cheapest possible solution for me. So I do that, and sometimes I pick up a tone that i'm being cheap. I get a little overcharged from time to time and I live with it, I call it shop tax.

But I have to ask, if the shoe were on the other foot and A/C repair man overcharged the shop. Would they just say oh well i'm happy he's got some more money?

Point is money matters to everyone. And it's not really anyone's business to decide what you can afford to loose and bill you accordingly. Any mechanic's perspective here?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #28
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britneysho View Post
I typically order through FCP Euro because I've had good experiences with them. But in general, what sort of quality validation is there to do on a new OEM part? OEM is OEM, no?

Are you referring to external factors that could affect certain parts, like storage, temp, humidity/moisture, handling, etc. that could compromise the integrity of an OEM part?

I could probably get on board with that explanation. Though with the number of solid sources I found under $400, it would be hard to believe.
Just to point out something with this. OEM BMW and OE supplier are not the same. OEM BMW parts may be supplied by Valeo, or Bosch, or whoever it is for each particular piece but that does not mean the Bosch or Valeo direct version is the same.

Most likely it is completely identical, but without going through the extra QC verification steps that BMW requires or meeting their particular set of standards and being sold to BMW themselves it cannot be branded as a BMW part. Hell the BMW standards could be lower than what Valeo themselves would hold their parts to, there's no way to know for sure.

Without the BMW cert and going through BMW channels though the part will not be branded with the BMW logo. Hence why sometimes you'll get something like a brake master cylinder with the logo ground off of it. Same part, same production line, different end source and cost.

Us as enthusiasts (especially the more mechanically inclined of us) know we can bypass BMW to get cheaper yet still good quality parts. But for every one of us there are 20 people waiting in line to throw down the credit card and happily pay full rate on parts and labour, so I'm not surprised to see someone get turned away when they start to look to save dollars. If the shop was busy and had plenty of other customers then they'd not have much concern with turning down a 2k brake job (were you planning to source your own parts for this?) to bring in a 5k clutch or a CCVV on an M54. More money, less hassle.
2007 Z4M Coupe (#1026/1815) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #29
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

To the OP- have you had the work completed yet? If so did they do it your way? Are you satisfied with the work?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #30
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I'm sorry but a THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR MARKUP? It's an alternator for crying out loud.

I can understand dealerships gouging the bejeezus out of people in their repair shops; after all that's where the money comes from to keep that fancy showroom going. And yes there are some places where factory parts make a big difference, for example suspension and driveline bushings that preserve the 'feel' of the driving experience and/or the isolation level expected from a car of that caliber. But an alternator? It's a knot of copper, a couple of bearings, and a chunk of electronics embedded in epoxy. Get one from a quality supplier and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #31
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

the term is "keystoning". You've inadvertently entered the economics of retail sales. bicycle shops typically make 15% on a bike sold, but they keystone accessories. so a new saddle that costs the shop $15 is sold for $30.

jos a banks keystones their suits, i suspect 3-5x. then sell them for half off.

your jewelry store keystones their items by at least 3x then offers massive sales which seem great but still draws a profit.

harbor freight keystones their products by a multiple that affords them to still make a profit after 20% off.

keystoning is a simple way of pricing a retailers items and is generally unnoticed by you, the consumer. you cant blame this mechanic, who likely started a business because he likes to fix cars, then discovered he needs to manage employees, bookkeeping, payroll, suppliers, tax collection, quarterly tax payments, etc to avoid the tedious process of maintaining an ultra competitive profit margin.
those calculations are too difficult which is one of the reasons target and walmart are so successful. they employ people who do only margin calculations. for your mechanic, he says this cost me x, i'll charge 2x.

I'll tell you two bits of advice i've learned so far: if the estimate is x, but half of x is labor, expect to pay x for the job. but buy the part and use the remainder to buy the tools needed to diy. or just pay the shop to do the job.
and, if the first bit of advice fails, you'll need a good relationship with a shop that can tolerate you, fix your mistakes, or offer you advice how to do it right. some shop customers bring muffins or cookies after a job is finished. on your first 'date' with your next shop, buy a box of coffee and a dozen donuts for them. you'll spend $20 but they'll find a way to give it back to you either in listening to your car problems, giving you a discount on parts maybe, or offering you free advice on your diy repair. good luck!

ps sorry about the typos and lack of caps. windows 10 tablets suck
      09-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #32
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipman View Post
and, if the first bit of advice fails, you'll need a good relationship with a shop that can tolerate you, fix your mistakes, or offer you advice how to do it right. some shop customers bring muffins or cookies after a job is finished. on your first 'date' with your next shop, buy a box of coffee and a dozen donuts for them. you'll spend $20 but they'll find a way to give it back to you either in listening to your car problems, giving you a discount on parts maybe, or offering you free advice on your diy repair. good luck!
BINGO.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #33
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

This is one of the reasons I do my own work.
Take the money you'll save up to Lowes and walk out with a cart full of tools.
      09-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #34
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon
what he said
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #35
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The mechanic provides a warranty with the parts he installs. He has parts purchase contracts with suppliers. He has to pay for a brick & mortar store with equipment, utilities, taxes, employee expenses, insurance and other business expenses; none of which the on-line place you found the part for less has to pay, so it was an unfair part cost comparison. He gets to run his business the way he needs to to make a profit. It is rude for you to suggest he find a different source (price) for the part. If you didn't like his price, find a new shop. You didn't like his price, so he was nicely suggesting you find a different shop to get your work done. It's just business.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
And then one day you walk into your shop and say "Who in the hell is going to get rid of all this shit when I die?"
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #37
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I've already had that conversation with myself.
Not only do I have a ton of tools, I have 2 tons of antique radios, test equipment, and parts thereof.
Just the other night I was imagining my Son opening the stack of his old diaper boxes that now contain several hundred vacuum tubes and wondering "what the heck are these?"
      09-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #38
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
BINGO.
I understand what you guys are saying, but I don't feel the need to wine and dine a mechanic - in most transactions, the party getting paid wines and dines the party paying. Now I understand this is a service, and so the paying party wants to ensure high quality, but still.

I guess this is why I even do my oil changes on my beater. I don't like the fuss.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #39
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I understand what you guys are saying, but I don't feel the need to wine and dine a mechanic - in most transactions, the party getting paid wines and dines the party paying. Now I understand this is a service, and so the paying party wants to ensure high quality, but still.

I guess this is why I even do my oil changes on my beater. I don't like the fuss.
I treat every relationship outside of my own with family as a business RELATIONSHIP. Meaning I take my highest performing vendors out to lunch occasionally for projects well done, even though I pay industry going rate for their services. I treat my mechanic(s) with the utmost respect and bring them treats occasionally to show my appreciation, even though they're well compensated for their work. I befriend my doctors, my plumber, my electrician...etc because I know that further down the line I will have to have them perform services I can't do myself, and while I don't expect a discount, I do expect the utmost professional work and them going above and beyond when I expect it.

Maybe I'm just old school. I dunno.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
DEG67.50
      09-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #40
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I treat every relationship outside of my own with family as a business RELATIONSHIP. Meaning I take my highest performing vendors out to lunch occasionally for projects well done, even though I pay industry going rate for their services. I treat my mechanic(s) with the utmost respect and bring them treats occasionally to show my appreciation, even though they're well compensated for their work. I befriend my doctors, my plumber, my electrician...etc because I know that further down the line I will have to have them perform services I can't do myself, and while I don't expect a discount, I do expect the utmost professional work and them going above and beyond when I expect it.

Maybe I'm just old school. I dunno.
No, I generally do the same and agree with you, except for mechanics /dealership - but I've taken a vehicle to a mechanic twice in all my ownership of cars and bikes (not counting tire mounting). So maybe it's just me. I do have a great relationship with my alignment shop (Darrin at West End), so I am coming around to your view point as I think about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #41
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

i feel like the disconnect here was that the op was prepared to pay a reasonable part markup, like 15-30%, but when they saw that they were being charged ~120% markup they didn't even recognize it as markup, the understanding just broke down.

i've seen markups like that at shops before, and its enough to send me to a different shop. i'm not surprised they didn't want to do the work or negotiate with you, but i'm surprised by the overall dickisnish they showed.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #42
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

What The Hack has said!

They treated you fair and honestly. That is all you can ask from a business. If you don't like it, go else where.

Last edited by seank; 09-15-2016 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0