ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #23
Z4HN
Private
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i, '08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
the majority part...

Stop being ignorant and respect others and others' opinions.

Thread starter@20yrs old >>> you@23.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #24
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4HN View Post
Stop being ignorant and respect others and others' opinions.

Thread starter@20yrs old >>> you@23.
you are all far more intelligent than i. i guess if i am running with a pair of scissors and fall, and cut myself deeply, i should blame the scissors because they were sharp...
      10-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #25
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Crazy, but you're alright, and that's all that really matters. The car is just a car, and can be replaced. No use in an online forum chastising you - you know you effed up, you've learned from your mistake, and we've all done stupid things as well.
      10-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #26
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

absolutely. im not trying to be a jerk. i am very happy to hear you are alright and the car saved you. my old bmw (a 328ci) saved my legs when I first began driving. I drove thro a parking lot and got side swiped and if it weren't for the 3 being built as well as it was, im fairly certain my legs woulnd't be working today.

the only point i was trying to express was that if you think this isn't 10000% percent you're fault, then you have not learned anything from this experience.
      10-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #27
M-Zed-4
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe

Quote:

i am glad you are ok dude. but can you please explain this comment to me? you chose to drive the car on a dangerous road. you chose to drive the car too hard on a dangerous road. you chose to do this dangerous driving on the stock continental tires which are no good. you are to blame, you operate the car.
If you continue reading you will see that I said it was my choice to due this. but thank you for expressing your opinion which I had already stated. Yes I am to blame.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #28
M-Zed-4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Wow...

A couple things I gotta say. The first is that you should call BMW and thank them for building a car that kept you alive when you shouldn't be. Although I'm not so sure that if you had a passenger in the car they'd be walking right now.

Second is that I gotta agree with Black///M. In no way is the car to blame from what you've told us. You decided to go for a drive on a canyon road in limited visibility and you were driving too fast.

Glad you're ok, and thanks for sharing the story with us. Hopefully some other people will learn from your mistakes. I'm sure you have.
I have to say thank you for letting me know the car was not to blame. I understand that completely. You guys picked apart one sentence and I wish I had not written it in the first place. I did say, "However I was the one who was supposed to be in control of the vehicle and I am the one who decided to go on that road in the first place." That quote to me interprets as my fault in my mind but perhaps I did not make that clear enough and for that I'm sorry. Yes inexperienced. This is also true and thank you for pointing that out as well. Hopefully before I decide to get another high performance vehicle I can attend some driving schools so as to better prepare myself. But I said i was irresponsible, I know I was. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think.... Wow I was an idiot WTF was I thinking??? But thank you for all of your concerns and comments I sincerely mean that.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #29
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Zed-4 View Post
I have to say thank you for letting me know the car was not to blame. I understand that completely. You guys picked apart one sentence and I wish I had not written it in the first place. I did say, "However I was the one who was supposed to be in control of the vehicle and I am the one who decided to go on that road in the first place." That quote to me interprets as my fault in my mind but perhaps I did not make that clear enough and for that I'm sorry. Yes inexperienced. This is also true and thank you for pointing that out as well. Hopefully before I decide to get another high performance vehicle I can attend some driving schools so as to better prepare myself. But I said i was irresponsible, I know I was. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think.... Wow I was an idiot WTF was I thinking??? But thank you for all of your concerns and comments I sincerely mean that.
Excellent idea.

After attending many HPDE's, I always find myself taking far more conservative and safe lines on the street than my non-"educated" friends with even faster cars. The track exposes you to a style of driving that is far beyond street driving which makes driving aggressively on the street, especially in less than ideal conditions, seem sort of silly. The track will give you a great idea as to what you can handle, what the car can handle, what situations get you into trouble and what it feels like when you're starting to get into trouble (and what to do to get out of them safely!).

Perfect example was when I went into Turn 1 at Watkins Glen entirely too fast after completing a pass on the front straight. I had been signed off to drive solo the day before so I didn't have the comfort of an instructor telling me where to go. But, I had done off-line practices with my instructor the day before so the feeling was familiar and I didn't try to do anything stupid because I was in a new physical location in a turn with much more speed than on previous laps. Keeping your poise, understanding the dynamics of the situation you're in and reacting appropriately is huge in accident avoidance but getting track time under your belt keeps you out of trouble because why press your luck on public streets when in a few months you'll be at the track doing it the right way!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #30
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

I commend you for the maturity you have exhibited regarding the aftermath of your incident. I remember seeing pics of your car early on and I remember you had entered a pic in a contest on another forum as well. Too bad you're not going to be able to take any more pics of your ride.

I'm also glad you escaped unscathed. Threads like these serve as a good reminder that our cars need to be respected in terms of the performance and our skills. I've definitely gained another perspective from reading your post.

One thing though... the other members chose the wrong sentence to run wild on. They should have chosen this one, "I still speed but i am cautious as to where I do it." The "where" should be nowhere but the track. But that's all I'm going to say, as I don't wish to encourage an argument about speeding on public roads.

Thank you for your post, and get well soon.
      10-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #31
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Rules to live by

A lifetime ago, my mentor told me, right after I was promoted to manager of a group of 35, to keep these rules in mind:

When you are in charge and bad things happen, you either:

1. Caused it to happen,
2. Let it happen, or
3. You were not smart enough or involved enough to know what was going on when, or before, it happened and consequently took no action to stop it.

As the driver, you are in charge. Only YOU. In this case there were no other cars or drivers involved. From the description there were no mechanical failures. Given those facts, this is driver error, pure and simple. If anyone believes otherwise, you are just plain kidding yourself. If a passenger had been in the car and killed, guess who would be liable?

Those of you who do not agree need to put your thinking caps on. Just assume you are appointed as a juror in a similar court case where the family of a dead passenger is suing the driver. If you have an ounce of reason in your body, you KNOW who is culpable. I believe the correct expression is to, quite literally, GET REAL.

Like the OP, I was in a bad accident as an 18 year old when I was driving with three passengers. I was driving way to fast for conditions and ran off the road on a curve, over a six foot bank, took out three fence posts, and finally stopped against a telephone pole. Thank God none of us were hurt. The car was totaled. Yes, I learned a lesson. Make no mistake, it was all me.

Just food for thought...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #32
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but I just thought it odd for someone to blame the car at all after what happened. Like I said, I'm glad you're ok, and I'm sure you've learned from your mistake and hopefully others will use it as motivation for not performing a similar mistake.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #33
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Dibs on the dash trim and perhaps other interior parts
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #34
DirtBag335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Glad to see your ok man. I hope this will be an eye opener for some people on here besides you. I can not believe how well you came out of such a horrible accident. Maybe it's too early but do you know what you want to replace it with?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #35
M-Zed-4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Dibs on the dash trim and perhaps other interior parts
This happened almost 10 months ago so if you can find the car they are all yours!!! haha
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #36
M-Zed-4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag335 View Post
Glad to see your ok man. I hope this will be an eye opener for some people on here besides you. I can not believe how well you came out of such a horrible accident. Maybe it's too early but do you know what you want to replace it with?
So the next car I purchased was a 2006 X5.... something fairly slow in comparison... haha but the price of the coupes have gone down considerably so who knows i may be able to purchase another one in a year or so..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #37
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Wow, can't believe I didn't see this till now. Glad you are okay, makes me feel much better about driving my car now!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #38
DirtBag335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So the next car I purchased was a 2006 X5.... something fairly slow in comparison... haha but the price of the coupes have gone down considerably so who knows i may be able to purchase another one in a year or so..
Thats cool, probably a good idea just to take it easy for a year or so.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #39
M-Zed-4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
I understand what you're saying, but I just thought it odd for someone to blame the car at all after what happened. Like I said, I'm glad you're ok, and I'm sure you've learned from your mistake and hopefully others will use it as motivation for not performing a similar mistake.
I really wasn't trying to blame the car... Maybe I should say it was the wrong car for my irresponsible personality at that time. Is that better Dammmittt? I hope that there is nothing odd with that statement. Hopefully you understand what I am saying.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #40
M-Zed-4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag335 View Post
Thats cool, probably a good idea just to take it easy for a year or so.
Yeah that's what I kind of thought... My sister decided to buy a 2007 M roadster a couple of weeks ago, which was like a slap in the face. haha... It is red with carbon leather. I took it too the dealership the other day to get it serviced and it brought back great memories and once again, I could not get that stupid grin off my face
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #41
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

Glad you are ok. It was an expensive lesson and a shame a great car was wrecked. Look on the bright SIDE guys... the remaining MCs just got a little more 'rare'!

Last edited by BZZZE; 10-09-2008 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #42
DirtBag335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZZZE View Post
Glad you are ok. It was an expensive lesson and a shame a great car was wrecked. Look on the bright SIDE guys... the remaining MCs just got a more 'rare'!
....That's one good way to look at it
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #43
BimmerZ408
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Hey man, your left side red parking reflector is out, you should probably take that into the dealer to get it looked at.
Quote:
hahaha, you bastard. when i read that i spit out my coffee all over my desk hahahahahaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZZZE View Post
Glad you are ok. It was an expensive lesson and a shame a great car was wrecked. Look on the bright SIDE guys... the remaining MCs just got a little more 'rare'!
You guys are too funny!

On a more serious note; I am sorry for your loss - my heart dropped to my stomach when I saw your photos - OUCH! As someone else posted, thank God & BMW you are ok!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #44
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

That'll buff right out!

In all seriousness though, I am glad to see that you are ok and WALKED away from that, cars are replacealbe a life is not.
Appreciate 0