ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #23
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

There go you guys with the rare, more rare, less rare stuff again.

The coupe is a lot better every day transportation car. The roadster is more of a toy for special play.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #24
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

A couple points. For me the coupe was the way to go.

Z4 Coupe Pluses- Looks much better, Rigid, and more rare

Z4 Roadster Pluses- Less Curb Weight, Top Down Driving
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #25
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
There go you guys with the rare, more rare, less rare stuff again.

The coupe is a lot better every day transportation car. The roadster is more of a toy for special play.
eh, its true. the dealers always have specials on coupes b/c they're so hard to sell. interepret that however you like, whether it's most people don't like it but in the end, everyone knows you'll see more verts than coupes on the road.

just last week a guy in a m45x pulled up and asked if my car was "new." he was shocked when i told him it was a late 07, he thought it was an 09 that just came out...

can't go wrong with either choice. i think the vert is cool, just wish the hardtop was cheaper or i would've considered that. the cars look really different and it comes down to your personality and preference.
      09-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Let's see rare, high demand? Nope sitting on the lot. Rare as in hard to get, nope could get as many as you wanted. Rare as in long wait to get one, not really, no year or more wait. Rare as in paid way over sticker for them during their production run. Not that one can recollect. Rare as in the only fast back on the market, coupe that is? Nope, Porsche, 350 Z, Corvette, hand full of the little rice burner, all coupes. But then I don't understand rare unless it has to do with steak I guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #27
DirtBag335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Let's see rare, high demand? Nope sitting on the lot. Rare as in hard to get, nope could get as many as you wanted. Rare as in long wait to get one, not really, no year or more wait. Rare as in paid way over sticker for them during their production run. Not that one can recollect. Rare as in the only fast back on the market, coupe that is? Nope, Porsche, 350 Z, Corvette, hand full of the little rice burner, all coupes. But then I don't understand rare unless it has to do with steak I guess.
Hummm maybe rare because there was less then 2,000 produced for the US. That is pretty damn rare in my eyes when most people consider a production run of 10,000 or less rare.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #28
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

this going to turn into a coupe roadster debate. the coupe isn't any stiffer than the roadster!!!!! i drove them spiritedly back to back and noticed no difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #29
BimmerZ408
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
So as i am on my hunt again for a Z4 ///M, I have been offered a good deal on a M Coupe.

My car of choice has been the roadster from the onset but now with this coupe offer, i am confused.
izzy - You have gotten many reviews on both versions of the Z4. Those of us that have a vert - love 'em, and those whom have a coupe love their cars too.

The bottom line all comes down to what YOU like best, and what you'll be happiest with in the long run. So forget about what "we" like, and go with whatever makes you happy.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and post pics when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #30
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
It really does come down to personal preference.
      09-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #31
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

Just go with your gut...which one looks best to you.

They both perform well, are relatively rare, and a blast to drive. Looks are completely subjective. Personally, I think the roadster looks better...but only because it looks like a roadster. To me, the coupe looks awesome from the rear, but from the side or front, it looks a little odd to me with the roof on what's obviously a roadster, with the long hood and seating position right on the rear tire. But again, it's subjective.

To me, the entire point of having sports car is to put the top down and go fast. Then again, I've driven nothing but convertibles for over 25 years. For others it's about going fast on a track, which as someone earlier mentioned, is harder and harder to do with a vert.

The bottom line is don't get 'talked into' buying anything on a chat forum....do what your heart tells you to do. Research your needs, judge the relative merits of both cars, and go with your instincts.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #32
DirtBag335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
Just go with your gut...which one looks best to you.

They both perform well, are relatively rare, and a blast to drive. Looks are completely subjective. Personally, I think the roadster looks better...but only because it looks like a roadster. To me, the coupe looks awesome from the rear, but from the side or front, it looks a little odd to me with the roof on what's obviously a roadster, with the long hood and seating position right on the rear tire. But again, it's subjective.

To me, the entire point of having sports car is to put the top down and go fast. Then again, I've driven nothing but convertibles for over 25 years. For others it's about going fast on a track, which as someone earlier mentioned, is harder and harder to do with a vert.

The bottom line is don't get 'talked into' buying anything on a chat forum....do what your heart tells you to do. Research your needs, judge the relative merits of both cars, and go with your instincts.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #33
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Dictionary.com "Rare is a word used to denote low numbers of abundance, uncommon, scarce."

'Nuff Said. Get off the whole rare debate already...you have already lost.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #34
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Exactly, drive both (maybe a few times) and decide what works best for you- you really can't go wrong either way. All of us picked either the Coupe or the Roadster based on personal preference and we wouldn't be able to tell you which you should get- just the reasons why we picked what we picked. I test drove my M Coupe 4 times over a two-week period before making the decision to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
the coupe isn't any stiffer than the roadster!!!!!
The Z4 model is 100% stiffer than the Z3 it replaced, and the Z4 Coupe is about twice as stiff as the Z4 Roadster.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=100&i=15562

"Scoring 14,500Nm/degree in BMW’s torsional stiffness test, the M Roadster is pretty stiff for an open car, and despite its wide 225/45 and 255/40 rubber on 8.0J and 9.0J x 18-inch alloys rubber, scuttle shake on poor roads in minimal. Even so, it does not come close to the Coupé’s impressive 32,000 Nm/degree, which is more than double the Roadster’s rigidity."

I knew I had read it some where and you made me search the web for it for the past half hour

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #35
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
From ^^^ Sorry this made me laugh

Quote:
The heart of the Z4 M Coupé is the same 343bhp 3.2 litre straight-six M motor shared with the M3 as well as its roofless Z4 M Roadster sister
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #36
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

The PistonHeads article brought up some differences I didn't know about between the Coupe and Roadster such as suspension and steering rate.....good read.

I didn't catch the "sister" part though

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #37
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
Exactly, drive both (maybe a few times) and decide what works best for you- you really can't go wrong either way. All of us picked either the Coupe or the Roadster based on personal preference and we wouldn't be able to tell you which you should get- just the reasons why we picked what we picked. I test drove my M Coupe 4 times over a two-week period before making the decision to get it.

The Z4 model is 100% stiffer than the Z3 it replaced, and the Z4 Coupe is about twice as stiff as the Z4 Roadster.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=100&i=15562

"Scoring 14,500Nm/degree in BMW’s torsional stiffness test, the M Roadster is pretty stiff for an open car, and despite its wide 225/45 and 255/40 rubber on 8.0J and 9.0J x 18-inch alloys rubber, scuttle shake on poor roads in minimal. Even so, it does not come close to the Coupé’s impressive 32,000 Nm/degree, which is more than double the Roadster’s rigidity."

I knew I had read it some where and you made me search the web for it for the past half hour
haha. i stand corrected. good read. the roadster is plenty stiff for me but im just in denial that i didnt get a coupe
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #38
iamwiz82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d / 2012 MCS JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
haha. i stand corrected. good read. the roadster is plenty stiff for me but im just in denial that i didnt get a coupe
It's because you still have your hair

That is what a coupe is for, right? To keep bald heads from burning

/runs away
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #39
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
defensive aren't we? i said they both look nice but it comes down to personality and preference, and since op's asking for us to speak up, i gave him the reasons behind my purchase.

and pay over sticker? i think its safe to say we all bought ours at a deep discount
      09-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #40
1stKnight
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Roadster

The coupe looks better than a Roadster with the top up...but a top down Roadster is far better looking imo and being a fan of convertible motoring it was an easy choice for me. I wouldn't have exchanged my E92 335i for a Z4MC but did for a Z4M Roadster.

As for all the talk about which is the better Track weapon - there is not much between them, clearly, if you look at Fastestlaps data:
http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=46c81a841feb7
Previous car:
BMW E92 335i SE Manual 2006
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #41
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I don't understand the point of this debate. Seems like you're either a coupe guy or a roadster guy Myself, I never even considered a Z4 of any kind until I saw the coupe concept and knew instantly that I had to have one.

This going back and forth trying to change people's opinions on which is better seems pretty pointless to me. But you know what they say about arguing on the internet being like the special olympics...

EDIT: That "fastest laps" comparison is laughable at best - they're comparing dry performance for the roadster with wet performance for the coupe...
      09-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #42
jgorman13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i, 2008 C300 Sport

yea i dunno what all this talk about the coupes looking better is. to each their own, i think its looks more awkward like a old batmobile. but i guess lots of people like them. The roadster is also small enough where the blindspots with the top up are tiny.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #43
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag335 View Post
Hummm maybe rare because there was less then 2,000 produced for the US. That is pretty damn rare in my eyes when most people consider a production run of 10,000 or less rare.
it's funny, my dealer has a red M coupe that has been sitting on the showroom floor for two years now they can't give the thing away. i think the M coupes in general are a harder sell... they are almost as impractical as a convertible, appeal to an even smaller audience... don't get me wrong... i tried to talk my wife into that red coupe, i love the car... but no luck, she wants the 328xi coupe.... AWD and the rear seats
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #44
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorman13 View Post
yea i dunno what all this talk about the coupes looking better is. to each their own, i think its looks more awkward like a old batmobile. but i guess lots of people like them. The roadster is also small enough where the blindspots with the top up are tiny.
I like my coupe a lot, but to my eyes the best-looking Z4 is the roadster with hardtop. I've love to have a black/Imola M roadster with the same mods, but with hardtop.

I'd put the roadster with top down at about the same level as the coupe, looks-wise. I've gotten about the same amount of positive comments for both. The coupe turns heads a bit more, but I think a lot of that is people just wondering what it is, since you don't often see them.
Appreciate 0