ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #45
m3griff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
You realize you're comparing a +10 year old technology to one that's essentially brand new (to BMW), right?
I was not trying to compare - just responding to the comments that you and TroutMD had made with respect to SMG. I have driven SMG a fair amount (though never lived with it) and find it to be not so wonderful. I also expect that it will be an expensive pain for anyone that owns it for very long once the warranty expires.

That is all.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #46
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

^ yeah, the original SMG technology was introduced in 1996 to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #47
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3griff View Post
I was not trying to compare - just responding to the comments that you and TroutMD had made with respect to SMG. I have driven SMG a fair amount (though never lived with it) and find it to be not so wonderful. I also expect that it will be an expensive pain for anyone that owns it for very long once the warranty expires.

That is all.
And you don't think SMG2/SMG3/DCT will be just as expensive, if not more, to repair if something breaks?

What you're essentially saying is that since BMW replaced the SSG with newer & better technology, the SSG must not be the way to go. BMW also replaced the E46 M3 with the E92 M3, I guess that makes the old M3 a POS? Heard a rumor that BMW is also coming out with a new Z4 fairly soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #48
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
And you don't think SMG2/SMG3/DCT will be just as expensive, if not more, to repair if something breaks?

What you're essentially saying is that since BMW replaced the SSG with newer & better technology, the SSG must not be the way to go. BMW also replaced the E46 M3 with the E92 M3, I guess that makes the old M3 a POS? Heard a rumor that BMW is also coming out with a new Z4 fairly soon.
I don't think people are saying that the SMG was entirely hopeless for its time. In fact when it first came out it was the leading cutting edge technology but then it was never able to be refined enough to really work on the road. I have driven SMGs on E46 and 60 they are both clever gearboxes but they are just a pain in da ass to live with. Honestly 50% of the reason i did not buy an M5 is because of the stupid gear box. On the other hand the new dual clutch is very smooth and extremely smart. The only flappy paddle that works is the DSG and the ones on ferrari. I mean if u wanna defend the old smg to death its kinda a waste of ur time.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #49
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.oi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMD View Post
I agree that the SMG is the only way to go.

I recently got an SMG...like any transmission, it took a bit to get used to (bit meaning a week or two... couple hundred miles...it takes a beginner longer than that to learn to drive a manual). Now, I LOVE the SMG and do not understand why all cars do not have this!

My car is faster than an automatic, yet I can just cruise and never touch a shifter. I can floor it, hit the paddles and I assure you it shifts quicker than anyone can with a normal clutch and shifter....

Read some of the long time owners of SMGs. I dont think you find many that hate it. I mean, take someone that NEVER has driven a manual tranny, and put them in a manual tranny...they are going to HATE it.. I wish more cars were SMG type equipped...
Graham M and TroutMD; I agree, took a little getting used to, but I am WAY glad I did not get the auto, with the SMG you get the best of both worlds, and it's so fun to push the SPORT button, listen to the foamless generator growl and flip that shifter; ZOOM/SNICK, ZOOM/SNICK, then flip over to auto mode and forget about it while I'm in traffic or talking on the phone. I've also got the paddles, very cool too but I prefer the stick, overall a very flexible and fun system.

SMG ROCKS!!!

Appreciate 0