ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Spring Compressor Recommendations

I'm putting on an Eibach Pro Kit soon and wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a spring compressor tool. I am leaning toward the Craftsman tool for $55. Anyone use it? Reviews seem good. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
My past experiences with the screw type spring compressors finally led to the decision to take the strut along with the new springs and shocks to a professional and let them do it. The last time I used a spring compressor, after having used one successfully several times prior, the spring shot all the way across the garage and smashed into the garage door.

It's not worth a potential injury and the cost was minimal.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
mgwatson48
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 M

Spring compressors are completely safe as long as you use a little common sense.. There's no reason why the spring should come out and shoot across your garage.. You only need to compress it enough to get the top nut off, which won't give it even close to enough energy to fly into something.
      01-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Unless you just want to spend $55.00 or have a lot more suspension work to do, go to Advance and rent one. It cost me less than $3.00 to use theirs. These compressors are a two piece type which compress's the spring in a uniform manner.

Additionally, the one I rented has 'keeper tabs' that prohibit the compressors from coming (flying) off the spring. If you use a tool properly, it is very safe.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I tried using one of those spring compressors, and I ended up just paying $20/strut to have a shop install the springs. Then just R/R the struts yourself.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Unless you just want to spend $55.00 or have a lot more suspension work to do, go to Advance and rent one. It cost me less than $3.00 to use theirs. These compressors are a two piece type which compress's the spring in a uniform manner.

Additionally, the one I rented has 'keeper tabs' that prohibit the compressors from coming (flying) off the spring. If you use a tool properly, it is very safe.
After writing this last night did some hunting and Pep Boys (and I believe other auto parts shops) will loan the tool for a deposit, recoverable when it's returned. The unit they show online has the safety pins to hold the spring in place. Looks like a winner to me. No need to spend the money on something I'll use very rarely. Will need it one more time when I upgrade the shocks.

Also, did the spring change on a Honda Prelude I had back in 2001 and it went fine. It's time consuming if you're careful, but never had any dangerous situations. Just have to be methodical and patient.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

if you go to auto zone they loan one for free, they just need your id
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Was going to check AZ next. There's one very close to the house. Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0